PDA

View Full Version : Applesauce

AngelaVA
09-16-2009, 02:53 PM
I really like my homemade applesauce, it is not anything like the kind you buy at the store. I only have a little freezer space because I shop at Costco and freeze meat and also try to have a few premade meals in the freezer so...what method of canning am I looking at for applesauce. I have done the kind where you use the metal lids and put the jars in boiling water and then when they cool is creates a vaccuum that seals that jar but I know you can only use this for certain foods, is applesauce one of them?

jblairosu
09-16-2009, 03:01 PM
I don't know any answers to your questions, but I would love your recipe if you don't mind sharing it! ;) I've been wanting to make homemade applesauce with ds and would love a tried and loved recipe.

NCmom
09-16-2009, 03:10 PM
You can can applesauce in glass jars with metal lids. I forget the particulars because I just freeze it. I'm sure you could google the details.

milkmommy
09-16-2009, 03:13 PM
yes you can can applesause by boiling/cooling method. :yes

Deanna

Apple-Saucy
09-16-2009, 03:23 PM
And here I was hoping for a thread all about MEEE :snooty
:giggle

milkmommy
09-16-2009, 03:39 PM

We would never place you in boiling water! :snooty

Deanna

AngelaVA
09-16-2009, 06:15 PM
Well...I am more cook of approximations so I don't know if this is a good recipe per say but here is the gist of how I make it:

I use the apples we get from the apple orchard which means they are not all one kind and a variety of textures so some cook soft and make the saucier part while others stay chunkier and crisper and I use apple cider as the cooking liquid which I also buy when we pick apples. So for every 8 apples peeled, cored and cut into chunks add:
a cup of apple cider
about 1/4 cup of brown sugar
bring to a simmer and sprinkle with cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg as desired (about 2 pinches of cinnamon and 1 pinch each of ginger and nutmeg)
let the sauce simmer for about 10 minutes, mushing the apples a bit as they cook down but leaving some chunkiness

The texture and spice of this applesauce is more appealing to adults than the kind you buy in the store but I think this year I'm going to do some without the ginger and nutmeg for the little ones.

Last year I made 4 or 5 batches and just cooled it and put it in quart sized freezer bags. It was gone by the end of the winter, which is why I was thinking of canning.

**tried this without the sugar this year it was quite good. Thanks for the idea Amber!

Amber
09-16-2009, 07:20 PM
You can use a boiling water bath to can applesauce. My family like unsweetened applesauce, so I just core and cut up my apples, add a bit of water and cook it down. You process the pint jars for 15min and quart jars for 20min.

Soliloquy
09-30-2009, 12:34 PM

:rockon

---------- Post added at 02:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:32 PM ----------

You can can applesauce the same way you'd can other foods, you don't need to add liquid, obviously. Do you have canning jars? Definitely buy wide-mouth and a canning funnel will save you a lot of aggravation as well. The Ball website has videos.

http://www.freshpreserving.com/pages/preserve__fresh_preserving__home_canning_/33.php

AngelaVA
10-05-2009, 10:19 AM
Just getting ready to try this today and had one question, is it a problem at all that the apple cider I'm using as my liquid is not pasturized. I'm boiling it so does that make it safe?