PDA

View Full Version : I made a super-yummy potato soup last night

Bonnie
09-11-2009, 10:19 PM
and I just have to share, because me throwing something together in the kitchen and having it come out fabulous happens about once a decade. No, really.

I boiled two large Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and diced small, with half a yellow onion, also diced small, in enough organic prepared vegetable broth to cover (one of those paper cartons' worth in a large saucepan). Once I got the boil going, I added a generous teaspoon or two of freeze-dried dill, maybe a teaspoon of freeze-dried minced garlic, about a half-teaspoon (maybe a whole? dunno) of dried ground mustard, and simmered it all for a half hour, until the potatoes were fork-tender. Smelled heavenly. Stirred in a tablespoon or two of butter (the real stuff), and blended with a stick blender until about half of it was smooth and the rest still chunky. Stirred to blend the chunks in with the now-thick-and-creamy part, and served hot. Oh. my. gosh. it was yummy. Like a buttered baked potato. Would have served two, probably, with a meal, but I polished it off myself, only letting Garrick have a couple of bites. :heart

Marzipan
09-11-2009, 10:28 PM
drool.

canadiyank
09-11-2009, 10:45 PM
Potato soup is my fave. Yum.

ShangriLewis
09-11-2009, 11:27 PM
We love it too. Ate it all the time growing up. We use coconut milk in ours now and sometimes add green chilis. It's one of my winter staples.

kiloyd
09-25-2009, 08:18 AM
hhhmmm, sounds good, I'm going to try it.

hey mommy
09-25-2009, 08:20 AM
That sounds yummy.. i've been looking for a good potato soup recipe..

Can you add cheese to it?

jewelmcjem
09-25-2009, 02:18 PM
My favorite recipe comes from a little paperback my mom got me in college called The Starving STudent's Cookbook. It only calls for 1-2 potatoes, but I just increase everything to make enough for the 6 of us now.

Chop about 1/2 onion & sautee in butter in the bottom of a large pot (I do a whole onoion for us usually).

Peel & dice potatoes (sometimes I don't peel, but the kids like them peeled better) enough potatoes to feed your family and add to the pot. Add just enough water to cover all the potatoes, no more. Salt & pepper to taste. I add some celery seed (not in the recipe) b/c my mom always did, lol.

Bring to a boil and let them boil hard until the potatoes are soft. *DO NOT DRAIN*

Add cream, half-n-half, or milk to the creaminess desired. Smush the potatoes slightly with a fork. Heat until nice and hot, but don't boil.

We like it served with shredded cheese & sour cream on top. Bacon bits are a nice touch too. If you like "baked potato soup", add cooked & crumbled bacon into the soup with the milk step.

Leslie_JJKs_mom
09-25-2009, 02:26 PM
and I just have to share, because me throwing something together in the kitchen and having it come out fabulous happens about once a decade. No, really.

I boiled two large Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and diced small, with half a yellow onion, also diced small, in enough organic prepared vegetable broth to cover (one of those paper cartons' worth in a large saucepan). Once I got the boil going, I added a generous teaspoon or two of freeze-dried dill, maybe a teaspoon of freeze-dried minced garlic, about a half-teaspoon (maybe a whole? dunno) of dried ground mustard, and simmered it all for a half hour, until the potatoes were fork-tender. Smelled heavenly. Stirred in a tablespoon or two of butter (the real stuff), and blended with a stick blender until about half of it was smooth and the rest still chunky. Stirred to blend the chunks in with the now-thick-and-creamy part, and served hot. Oh. my. gosh. it was yummy. Like a buttered baked potato. Would have served two, probably, with a meal, but I polished it off myself, only letting Garrick have a couple of bites. :heart

yummmm!