PDA

View Full Version : Ideas Needed for "Quick" Crockpot Meals

CakeLady
09-08-2009, 01:08 PM
I know it sounds funny...but I need some recipes that I can put in before church on Sunday and have them ready for lunch. I hate coming home to instantly cook and I'm sick of eating out.

Any ideas?

relizabeth
09-08-2009, 01:10 PM
Here's a good thread on this from a while back. http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=181179&highlight=easy

BHope
09-08-2009, 01:18 PM
I can't remember if I posted on the other thread, but a jar of BBQ sauce and a package of chicken legs is fast, cheap, and yummy. I usually steam corn and serve with bread and butter.

CakeLady
09-08-2009, 02:24 PM
Manda...would that be done quickly? Like in only 4-5 hours? I've never cooked chicken legs like before...

BHope
09-08-2009, 04:40 PM
Chicken is super quick in the crock pot. I can do it in two hours on high or three/four on low.

CakeLady
09-08-2009, 07:48 PM
I guess that's true...I usually just use frozen chicken so that probably takes longer. With a little extra planning (which is what I'm trying to do) then it should work.

sprout
09-08-2009, 07:51 PM
I know a lot of people do pulled pork in the crockpot too.

BHope
09-08-2009, 08:15 PM
If I know it's going to be frozen, and I need more time than the two hours at church, I try to remember to put it together as soon as I wake up. That way the cooking time is extended to include the time that we're waking, prepping, and leaving.

Oooh, pulled pork sounds yummy.

---------- Post added at 10:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 PM ----------

:dohI just finally realized you meant "quick" as in "cooks quickly" and not "assembles quickly." Doh. :hiding

jenny_islander
09-08-2009, 08:39 PM
BBQ chicken and pulled pork are my fallbacks when I need to have something ready as soon as I get home. If your family likes chewy, baked mac'n'cheese and you have a bit more prep time before you leave, you could also try this: Cook 1/2 pound elbow macaroni or shells (can do this the night before, immediately refresh in cold water, and store in the fridge). Grate 1 pound Cheddar (can do the night before). On Sunday morning, combine the pasta and 3/4 of the cheese in a greased slow cooker along with 1 1/2 cups evaporated milk, 1 1/2 cups regular milk, 2 beaten eggs, salt and pepper, and additional items as desired such as cubed ham, chopped sweet pepper, or chopped broccoli florets. Cover with the remaining cheese. Leave to cook until wanted; the outside will be chewy, the middle soft. The traditional go-with is stewed tomatoes.

trustingGod2
09-08-2009, 10:25 PM
Check out campbells.com they have a super east=y and tasty pot roast:rockon

CakeLady
09-09-2009, 11:02 AM
:giggle Manda....it needs to cook quickly so that it would be ready by lunch time.

Jenny, I will be trying that mac and cheese. It sounds similar to one I make on the stove top.