PDA

View Full Version : Note to self...

Rea T
08-04-2009, 03:02 PM
When attempting to save money by making pajamas for your children, do not take them with you and ask them to pick out the material they like, lest they decide to pick the licensed fabric that costs $13 a yard which you don't discover until looking at your sales slip after returning home.

Oh well, at least they'll be cool PJ's! K picked a Little Einsteins print for his pants, and J picked a space pattern that is dark blue with moons on it (that was the expensive one...).

Now, if I can make the time to sew!

ChristmasGirl
08-04-2009, 04:16 PM
those will be sooo cool (expensive, but cool!). you'll have to post pics when you're done. makes me wish i could sew :)

AngelaVA
08-04-2009, 04:24 PM
I'd love to hear how this goes for you, I'm always frustrated at the poor quality/high price of pajamas for my DD and been tempted to try to make them.

swimming with sharks
08-04-2009, 04:47 PM
:giggle but they're so cute!!

liamum
08-04-2009, 07:38 PM
Oh those will be cute!

Quiteria
08-04-2009, 07:46 PM
Lol, I took dd to browse on a day we specifically did not bring money, for that very reason...(just WalMart fabric close to home)...and she went straight for Tinkerbell...I said great, what else? The other Tinkerbell fabric next to it. And? You guessed it...Tinkerbell print #3....

I did manage to get her opinion on a couple basic colors/prints, but lol...maybe I better set a price limit before we go again, or hope she likes what I get on my own...

---------- Post added at 02:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:44 AM ----------

Can we see pics when you're done? Is this the first time you've made them? I'm going to start with just the pants, for next summer...seems like summer pjs are the hardest to come by for us, and the most, uh, how to put it nicely?...not worth paying $$$$ for new ones.

kiloyd
08-04-2009, 07:47 PM
Oh how I want to learn to sew.

Rea T
08-05-2009, 05:43 AM
[/COLOR]Can we see pics when you're done? Is this the first time you've made them? I'm going to start with just the pants, for next summer...seems like summer pjs are the hardest to come by for us, and the most, uh, how to put it nicely?...not worth paying $$$$ for new ones.

yep, I'll post pics when I'm done!

I agree on the $$. The only thing I've been able to find lately have been really cheaply made cotton jersey sets that have hems that start unraveling after just a few washings. I'm making them last through both boys, but they don't hold up well at all.

After this I'm going to find an adult pattern just for pants and make some for dh. His pants are getting a little, er, disreputable.

Yuliana
08-05-2009, 05:45 AM
:giggle

Quiteria
08-05-2009, 08:56 AM
Lol...we can't even find cotton jersey...all the store-bought pjs around here are that thin polyester material...also made with cheap hems that pop loose...

hollybells
08-05-2009, 06:23 PM
:roll

I'd love to see pics, too. I'm hoping to make pjs for Christmas this year but it may not be met with enthusiasm from dh. For ds's first Christmas, I made matching flannel bottoms for him and dh and earned myself the nickname "Sewing Psycho" from my calm, easy-going dh. Apparently the more colourful words I was using as I wielded the seam ripper were a bit ... strong. :shifty

bliss
08-06-2009, 10:09 PM
The same applies to drapes...but then you pick the solid fabric that matches the main color in the licensed stuff and use that for the drapes and border it with a 2 inch border of the $13 a yard business. :giggle

Rea T
08-07-2009, 05:41 AM
The same applies to drapes...but then you pick the solid fabric that matches the main color in the licensed stuff and use that for the drapes and border it with a 2 inch border of the $13 a yard business. :giggle

Oooh, what a great idea!

Working on the pj's...but my sewing machine quit working. :( Taking it all down to MIL's today to work on her machine.

Mama Bird
08-07-2009, 05:45 AM
Can't wait to see them. Maybe next time you can have a solid colored body and pick cool fabrics for pockets or patches.

Why is it that kids are usually drawn to the expensive stuff? :giggle

Rea T
08-07-2009, 05:46 AM
Probably because they like patterns and uniqueness. And licensed characters.