PDA

View Full Version : I just purchased . . .

liamum
08-03-2009, 08:47 AM
Knitting needles, a skein of bulky yarn, and a beginner's knitting book :giggle

I am planing to also use some of the links in the sticky help thread here to look at knitting video tutorials.

Eowyn
08-03-2009, 08:49 AM
:tu Enjoy! If you find the book not quite helpful, take a beginner class at a local yarn store. They can be so much fun. :)

liamum
08-03-2009, 08:53 AM
:tu Enjoy! If you find the book not quite helpful, take a beginner class at a local yarn store. They can be so much fun. :)

Good to know. I did notice different class times posted at the store :)

crunchymum
08-03-2009, 08:55 AM
Knitting needles, a skein of bulky yarn, and a beginner's knitting book :giggle

I am planing to also use some of the links in the sticky help thread here to look at knitting video tutorials.

:rockon you tube is my best friend right now as a beginner...

RosalieMarie
08-03-2009, 08:58 AM
:rockon I hope you love it! Learning to knit was one of the best things I ever did for myself!

liamum
08-03-2009, 09:38 AM
Thanks, Rosalie :hug

Jen- we should have a little support group :giggle

Marielle
08-03-2009, 10:21 AM
congrats! I found the knittinghelp.com videos very helpful when I was picking it up a couple of years ago.

liamum
08-03-2009, 10:24 AM
congrats! I found the knittinghelp.com videos very helpful when I was picking it up a couple of years ago.

Thanks- I will definitely check it out.

Rea T
08-03-2009, 10:26 AM
Hmm, you are motivating me because I really want to learn to knit. I'm not sure why...I just want to know how. Didn't think about looking on youtube for videos.

liamum
08-03-2009, 10:29 AM
Hmm, you are motivating me because I really want to learn to knit. I'm not sure why...I just want to know how. Didn't think about looking on youtube for videos.

I have been contemplating it for a while. The latest picture thread inspired me!

Naked Camper
08-03-2009, 05:45 PM
:dance woohoo!

liamum
08-03-2009, 07:07 PM
I have casting on down pat. But getting the first row knit is hard!

Naked Camper
08-03-2009, 07:16 PM
you have to cast on loosely. I still have a hard time with the first row. After you get past the first row it gets easier

liamum
08-03-2009, 07:41 PM
you have to cast on loosely. I still have a hard time with the first row. After you get past the first row it gets easier

Oh maybe it is too tight- that could be. :giggle I was feeling quite superior having "mastered" casting on :O

---------- Post added at 10:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 PM ----------

Morgan- I made my first row more loose and It was easier to figure out the first knit stich row. It ain't pretty, but I am slowly getting the hang of it!

kiloyd
08-03-2009, 07:54 PM
OOoohhh, I want to learn to knit too. Tell me how it goes!

I was learning how to crochet when I was pregnant with ds (8 yrs ago) then stopped when he was born. I've always wanted to start again.

Naked Camper
08-03-2009, 08:04 PM
not pretty is okay. it'll get better with practice :yes

liamum
08-04-2009, 04:25 AM
OOoohhh, I want to learn to knit too. Tell me how it goes!

I was learning how to crochet when I was pregnant with ds (8 yrs ago) then stopped when he was born. I've always wanted to start again.

Is crocheting very very similar a process? I have always wondered. It seems like those who crochet don't necessarily knit and vice versa :think

Thanks Morgan :hug

Wonder Woman
08-04-2009, 04:56 AM
oooh...velcome to zeee dark side :giggle

I'll give you the best knitting hint anyone ever gave me (thanks, Amanda! :heart) - learn to knit continental style :yes It's SO much faster and easier on the wrists :yes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuRLFl36tDY

Naked Camper
08-04-2009, 05:50 AM
for me knitting and crochet are quite different. If I didn't have little kids around, I'd totally prefer to knit over crochet. I like the rhythm of it. But we have a history in my house of me spending HOURS on projects and my kids pulling out the needles when i'm not looking and the project being completely ruined. :doh :mad So, I started to crochet. At least if they get ahold of my crochet stuff and pull out yarn, they're only ruining that much, not the whole project.

You can do a TON more with knitting than you can crochet. I never quite understood crochet until after I learned how to knit. It made the transition back much easier.

JenLovie
08-04-2009, 06:17 AM
Watch out, it's addictive! My first scarf is full of mistakes.
Knitting is a horizontal stitch and crochet is verticle.

MamaPepper
08-04-2009, 06:20 AM
Good luck with your knitting venture!!! It really is fun and threraputic. . but I'm with Morgan, knitting is HARD with littles. . . my boys would undoubtedly stab each other with needles while they sword fought with them. . . I'm hoping to learn how to crochet more than just a chain someday, and you're motivating me to do that!!! (Like I have the time, but whatever) :giggle

Wonder Woman
08-04-2009, 06:31 AM
I knit everything, even flat pieces, on circulars that I stick through the ball of yarn and tie together when I set my knitting down. Since I started doing that, there have been no more repeats of "wheee! a SWORD!" as my knitting unravels behind him :shifty

crunchymum
08-04-2009, 07:06 AM
:lol

i've been knitting mostly on circulars, too. :yes things don't slip off as easy for me when i use circulars - i have mostly bamboo ones. :D

it is very, very addicting. ;) my dh has taken to rolling his eyes when i pull my knitting out at random times, like in the car or waiting in line somewhere, lol. it's so portable! and for me, theraputic... the repetition is meditative to me. :heart

the first row after casting on is the hardest for me, too! but morgan is right, it gets much easier after you have something to sort of hold on to.

the wide world of yummy yarns and patterns just got a whole lot more tempting, :giggle. i want to knit everything i see! :lol but as a true ENFP, i have 3 projects going right now... baby booties, a cup warmer/cozy, and an apple cozy... i just can't be bothered to finish, haha! i did finish a couple of hats (one is posted in the craft picture thread) and a washcloth and a pint cozy (thank you lindsay). washcloths are pretty simple for practice, here's some patterns if you want to try them. http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory/dishcloths.php

Pokey Little Pineapple
08-04-2009, 08:53 AM
WOOHOO!! Best of luck!! I learned to knit via this website
http://www.knittinghelp.com/

She has amazing details and many free patterns plus a knitting forum

liamum
08-04-2009, 09:40 AM
for me knitting and crochet are quite different. If I didn't have little kids around, I'd totally prefer to knit over crochet. I like the rhythm of it. But we have a history in my house of me spending HOURS on projects and my kids pulling out the needles when i'm not looking and the project being completely ruined. :doh :mad So, I started to crochet. At least if they get ahold of my crochet stuff and pull out yarn, they're only ruining that much, not the whole project.

You can do a TON more with knitting than you can crochet. I never quite understood crochet until after I learned how to knit. It made the transition back much easier.

Good luck with your knitting venture!!! It really is fun and threraputic. . but I'm with Morgan, knitting is HARD with littles. . . my boys would undoubtedly stab each other with needles while they sword fought with them. . . I'm hoping to learn how to crochet more than just a chain someday, and you're motivating me to do that!!! (Like I have the time, but whatever) :giggle

Thanks for the additional links everyone :grouphug

I know what you mean about children- Liam became entranced with my new needles and yarn last night and the yarn ended up strewn across the whole downstairs. :banghead

Many of you mention how you like the rhythm of knitting. I have an acquaintance who says she now understands the comfort in reciting the Rosary because the repetition and rhythm of knitting is very centering.

Eowyn
08-04-2009, 12:57 PM
the first row after casting on is the hardest for me, too! but morgan is right, it gets much easier after you have something to sort of hold on to.

I knit with women who have been knitting for literal decades. None of them like the first row of a project. LOL Mine isn't pretty, either.

Blue Savannah
08-04-2009, 01:11 PM
:heart

crunchymum
08-04-2009, 01:18 PM
I knit with women who have been knitting for literal decades. None of them like the first row of a project. LOL Mine isn't pretty, either.

that's good to know! :D

liamum
08-04-2009, 01:19 PM

Okay whenever I try to pull my Right needle through the cast stitch to knit row one, the stitch falls apart. Maybe I should post a video of what I am doing. I am obviously making a mistake.

Wonder Woman
08-04-2009, 01:31 PM
yep, post a vid :-)

Barefoot Bookworm
08-04-2009, 02:40 PM
I totally need to do this! I started to pick up knitting last winter and just let it drop because I had so much sewing to do.

liamum
08-04-2009, 03:02 PM
Okay I think I finally got it :jump :dances I think I did it! Here is a picture mistakes, warts, and all :giggle Uh I am in the car waiting to pick Liam up :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v454/loveliam/photo.jpg

Eowyn
08-04-2009, 03:32 PM
:rockon

Tengokujin
08-04-2009, 09:03 PM
When you begin that first row, be sure that you are knitting with the yarn end that is attached to the ball. From your picture, I am wondering if that is part of the problem. Also, be sure to insert your needle in the closest side of the first stitch. It helps to tighten the yarn up a bit after that first stitch too.

Someone else will chime in and help here.

liamum
08-05-2009, 03:57 AM
When you begin that first row, be sure that you are knitting with the yarn end that is attached to the ball.

I was knitting with the yarn side as far as I know. When I wrapped the right hand needle it was from the yarn side- is that correct? Well- maybe I should post a short video after all.

Tengokujin
08-05-2009, 05:32 AM
Yes, we need video for a proper diagnosis!

liamum
08-05-2009, 10:42 AM
Okay I really think I am doing much better today! I am doing Continental style.
Do y'all think I should continue to practice the knit stitch or move on to pearl?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v454/loveliam/photo-1.jpg

---------- Post added at 01:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:10 PM ----------

Woo hoo I now have successfully done pearl too :jump :cheer

Wonder Woman
08-05-2009, 11:31 AM
oooh, it is coming along! :tu I would do a few rows of knit stitch, then try purling - purling is way easier continental. :tu

---------- Post added at 10:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 PM ----------

just saw your edit - :rockon :cool

liamum
08-05-2009, 11:36 AM
purling is way easier continental.

I found it to be rather easy now that I have the hang of regular knit stitch. I am going to practice some more rows of knitting.

BeckaBlue
08-05-2009, 11:50 AM
ok, i cn do knit continental pretty easy, but purling=twisted stitch every time till i figured out what was wrong, and then its just a pitb

and :rockon Leigh!!

liamum
08-05-2009, 11:55 AM
Becka, do you use English style?

BeckaBlue
08-05-2009, 12:11 PM
yep, mostly. if im doin a lot of knit stitch ill mix it up :)

hollybells
08-05-2009, 04:37 PM
Your last pic looks lovely. :tu And yes, welcome ... it is therapeutic and highly addictive. I've been digging out some old projects to finish in order to justify the purchase of even more yarn. :haha

---------- Post added at 07:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:33 PM ----------

:lol

i've been knitting mostly on circulars, too. :yes things don't slip off as easy for me when i use circulars - i have mostly bamboo ones. :D

You do??? Bamboo circulars??? :heart

Wherever did you get them? :pokea I love my regular bamboo needles but may have just found the most lovely anniverary present to hint around to dh about.

crunchymum
08-06-2009, 08:24 AM
Your last pic looks lovely. :tu And yes, welcome ... it is therapeutic and highly addictive. I've been digging out some old projects to finish in order to justify the purchase of even more yarn. :haha

---------- Post added at 07:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:33 PM ----------

You do??? Bamboo circulars??? :heart

Wherever did you get them? :pokea I love my regular bamboo needles but may have just found the most lovely anniverary present to hint around to dh about.

i just got mine at joann's... they are more expensive, so i wait until they go on sale...

in other news, i just finished my first project using double pointed needles!an apple cozy! i'm tickled pink with myself! :D

liamum
08-06-2009, 09:55 AM
i just finished my first project using double pointed needles!an apple cozy! i'm tickled pink with myself!

Oh you have to post a picture in the project picture thread- or have you already?

Codi
08-06-2009, 10:15 AM
Nice work!!

I got supplies for knitting and crocheting like 6 weeks ago and was VERY surprised how well my first little square of knitting turned out!!! There was really on one flaw in it (I dunno what happened there :doh ) But crocheting was not as successful. I think Ill pick it back up tonight and see if I can get this made: http://www.piece-by-piece.net/Knit/baby_earflap_hat.htm

Looks simple enough....we'll see

crunchymum
08-06-2009, 11:42 AM
Oh you have to post a picture in the project picture thread- or have you already?

i haven't... i lost my card reader so i have a ton of projects i haven't posted! i will when i upload photos, though... :D