PDA

View Full Version : An interesting thing to try if you have depression

Lantern Light Mama
08-02-2009, 11:17 PM
I read an article online recently that said that cold showers may actually aid in breaking the cycle of depression. The idea is that you start with your shower warm and gradually cool it down. You don't want to feel icy cold or shocked by the cold water. I was trying to figure out how it works exactly. When you go swimming it makes you feel good and refreshed, and maybe that has something to do with the cold water. Maybe it works on the same premise and stimulates the body and mind. It is really interesting though and I think I am going to keep on trying it out. I just thought I would pass this along . Those of you who are vaguely familiars with Chinese medicine or even yoga might already know this, because Monks & Sages used to do this as well.

DancingWithElves
08-02-2009, 11:47 PM
hmmm, from tcm stand point this would be effective for some people and strictly prohibited for others. when i was seeking TCM for recovery from MVC and still had ppd, the dr. said i had to really really be careful with exposure to elements, not swim at all, never go out after bathing, etc.

um... also i have this really really long story, that i kinda wanna tell, but have no emotional energy to do so... i'll look for a link and maybe tell just a little... http://www.winterswim.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porfiry_Ivanov
ok, these are the links, but i'll tell the story someplace more private

from what i learned from being in the above cult, this raises your adrenaline levels, as well as cortisol. which again, it seems even from western perspective, for some ppl that's what they need, while others would feel more overwhelmed, tired, and anxious. now, i'm telling you based on ice cold water and that does give you a shock, this could be totally different.

canadiyank
08-02-2009, 11:52 PM
I've read that it's "healthier" to finish with a cool rinse, but I can't remember the reasoning behind it!

Lantern Light Mama
08-02-2009, 11:56 PM
Thanks for those links ( I remember hearing about people in Russia who swim in freezing water). I will research it more when I get the time. I think it has to do something with the shock that makes it not good. Now I can't locate the article. What a pain! I really want to know the reasoning. I do remember that it said for people with certain health conditions this was not a good option. Those conditions were things like diabetes, and heart problems I think. The idea was gradually to cool it down, not to get it icy cold. If anyone is interested though I would just say to research it .