PDA

View Full Version : help?

Iveyrock
07-29-2009, 03:17 PM
I've been crocheting soakers for my younger two... and now DS1 really wants me to make him some. I am willing to make him shorts, but I'm not sure I want to use the soaker pattern.
My bigger problem, though, is that he really likes 'pretty' colors. He picked green, pink, and purple out of what I have to make his shorts with. I really want him to feel like it's ok to like those colors... and I really don't want to make shorts for him out of them :shifty.
I am completely not creative about what I could make instead. Although as I am typing this, it occurs to me that I could make him cotton shorts, instead of wool... doesn't solve the problem, but I hadn't even thought about it as an option up until now.

Naked Camper
07-29-2009, 07:00 PM
could you make it mostly green with hints of pink and purple?

Iveyrock
07-30-2009, 05:30 AM
I'm thinking about that... or something manly made from the pink and purple to applique :giggle.

I'm having trouble finding a shorts pattern, anyway. The shorties pattern I have has a lot of room for a diaper, so I would have to modify that. I'm not sure if I'm able to do that yet.

Naked Camper
07-30-2009, 07:22 AM
TTL has a crochet shorties pattern in this forum. Let me find you the link.

http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=257119&highlight=shorties

Iveyrock
07-30-2009, 08:34 AM
Thanks! I was remembering that she makes some for one of her older kids, IIRC.

Blue Savannah
07-30-2009, 08:38 AM
I think you could do those colors for a boy. Find a yarn with mostly green and some pink/purple accents. Maybe if you did a hot pink instead of pastel? Maybe even some black? :think

Iveyrock
07-30-2009, 09:17 AM
well, right now he's sitting at the kitchen table with cotton balls and markers, cutting up cotton for me to make into yarn, to make into shorts... I think he's serious about this.

The problem is, the green he wants is actually from something I was going to make for Chava - so it's a pretty soft green. I think we are going to have to negotiate... but I really don't want to just discount what he wants either.

Hot pink is a good idea... I think he'd like that even better.

Eowyn
07-30-2009, 10:59 AM
How about a hat?

Iveyrock
07-30-2009, 12:48 PM
How about a hat?

:no I tried that. gotta be shorts

Eowyn
07-30-2009, 12:49 PM
:no I tried that. gotta be shorts

I understand. Ian asked for a pair of longies for Christmas. :doh It'll take me all year.

Iveyrock
07-30-2009, 07:47 PM
:phew after a trip to the store, we have blue and brown yarn for shorts. But he wants some feathery purple stuff next...

Eowyn
07-30-2009, 10:39 PM
:phew after a trip to the store, we have blue and brown yarn for shorts. But he wants some feathery purple stuff next...

:roll Awesome. :giggle

Iveyrock
07-31-2009, 09:10 AM
... so I was all settled about the whole thing, except for tweaking a shorties pattern to fit his skinny body.

And then as he was falling asleep, he whispered, "mommy, I want some bluejays on my shorts. For the flaps for the pockets."

Eowyn
07-31-2009, 02:22 PM
And then as he was falling asleep, he whispered, "mommy, I want some bluejays on my shorts. For the flaps for the pockets."

He doesn't ask for much, does he? :giggle

Blue Savannah
07-31-2009, 09:06 PM
he will probably remember those shorts forever. :heart