PDA

View Full Version : need help assembling a backpack

Beauty4Ashes
07-28-2009, 06:32 PM
It was really easy to make the pieces, but now I'm confused about how to attach the front piece to the gusset.

Also, where can I find d rings? bbl to post pics and instructions on the gusset. It's from the August issue of Crochet World.

Mama Rophe
07-28-2009, 06:36 PM
I'm not sure about putting it all together. Sorry.

You can find d rings at Walmart or any craft/sewing store in the craft section.

Mama Rophe
07-29-2009, 05:40 AM
what pattern did you use?

Beauty4Ashes
07-29-2009, 06:49 AM
It was the Camoflauge Backpack pattern in Crochet World the August issue on pages 25 and 64. I will try to post the instructions but the little ones are all awake now. For some reason when I attached the gusset to the back piece, I ended up with about 2" of extra gusset tail.

Here are some pictures.

The front piece

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f169/alamfamily/Picture214.jpg

The back piece with the gusset

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f169/alamfamily/Picture215.jpg

What it will look like once I attach the front piece to the gusset with the back piece; it will just need the straps and a button and the lining

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f169/alamfamily/Picture216.jpg:

---------- Post added at 01:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:28 PM ----------

Basically the gusset is a piece that is 156 stitches long by 20 rows, worked with 10 rows on the right side of the foundation chain and 10 rows of the left side of the foundation chain. The front side and back side of the backpack are identical, 71 rows 42 stitches in sc each, with decreasing on either end from rows 69-71.

W/ WS of back & gusset tog. w/ back facing and working through both thicknesses, join B w/ sc in edge of first sc of first row of back and in last sc on last row of gusset, *sc in edge of next row on back and in same stitch on gusset**, {sc in edge of next row on back and in same st on gusset**, {sc in edge of next row on back and In next st on gusset} 6x, rep from *8x rep from * to **, rep between {} 5x, sc in first st on last row of back and in same st on gusset, {sc in next st on last row of back and in next st on gusset tog} 35x, sk edge of row 71, sc in edge of row 70 on back and in next st on gusset, rep between {} 5x, +rep from * to ** once, rep between {} 6x, rep from + 8 more times, rep from * to **, fasten off.

For the back and front gusset seam, the instructions for assembly are as follows:
W/ RS of gusset & front facing, join B in first sc on top flap/back seam and in first sc on back/gusset seam, {sc dec in edge of next 2 rows on gusset} 5x, sc dec in edge of foundation ch and in edge of next row, {sc dec in edge of next 2 rows} 4 times, sc dec in edge of next row and in last sc on front/gusset seam, sc in free lp of each foundation ch on front, sc dec in first sc on front/gusset seam and in edge of next row on gusset, {sc dec in edge of next 2 rows of gusset} 4x, sc dec in edge of next row and in edge of foundation ch, {sc dec in edge of next 2 rows} 5x, sc dec in last sc on back/gusset seam and in last sc on top flap/back seam, fasten off.

---------- Post added at 01:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:39 PM ----------

I apologize in advance, I don't know where are the quotes function on the board now.

Beauty4Ashes
07-29-2009, 01:10 PM
What I am unclear about is if I am supposed to be working in the foundation chain or in the sides of the gusset or both. If I am supposed to be working in the foundation chain and in the side of the gusset, am I doing this simultaneously? I don't get it.

Beauty4Ashes
07-30-2009, 06:22 AM
Thinking out loud here. I'm wondering if I should have started at the farthest edge on the gusset, i.e. the length rather than the 156 stitch long width. I may go by the yarn store to ask for help or just keep winging it. I've been working on attaching the lining so hopefully when I try to assemble this again, I'll have a fresh approach to it.