PDA

View Full Version : Uh.... how contagious are shingles and when are they contagious

Psyche
07-28-2009, 06:28 PM
BIL was up here on Friday. Sunday he was taken to the hospital with shingles.

1) How likely is it that the DS's were exposed during the contagious period?

2) What, if anything, should I do?

I don't think he was in the boy's space too much. But he did give Caden a hug and DH was in close proximity to him. I don't care if Caden gets the pox but I'd rather Jon not get it right now...

bananacake
07-28-2009, 06:37 PM
No idea, but :bump

twomonkeysmama
07-28-2009, 06:42 PM
My understanding is that if they are open and the fluid from the little blisters is exposed to vulnerable people (previously un poxed so to speak), that they can catch chicken pox. It's not like chicken pox where it is contagious before the rash shows up and respiratory spread.
It's not common, though. I know that nurses in our hospital were required to have any active lesions covered with occlusive dressings, to avoid spreading to vulnerable people (kids and people on chemotherapy) but it wasn't a reason not to work.
If they were just red, or no rash yet, I don't think you have to worry. No guarantees, but not a common thing to spread!

Apple-Saucy
07-28-2009, 06:42 PM
It's only contagious if he had obvious open sores and your ds touched them. Shingles don't get into the lungs so no worries about coughing causing infection in others.

3boysforme
07-28-2009, 06:43 PM
IIRC, they are contaigous when the blisters are oozing. And then you have to touch the blisters to get it. But I got shingles last year and still don't know the source of my infection :shrug3. I hope someone more knowledgeable can answer for you!

Apple-Saucy
07-28-2009, 06:46 PM
IIRC, they are contaigous when the blisters are oozing. And then you have to touch the blisters to get it. But I got shingles last year and still don't know the source of my infection :shrug3. I hope someone more knowledgeable can answer for you!

shingles are caused by the chicken pox virus...since chicken pox is always in your system after you have been exposed to it you can develop a shingles rash anytime in your life. Some people are more prone to getting them than others. Often it is a response to stress, injury or illness...much like when someone gets a coldsore or fever blister on their lip/mouth after being ill...same concept.

3boysforme
07-28-2009, 06:56 PM
shingles are caused by the chicken pox virus...since chicken pox is always in your system after you have been exposed to it you can develop a shingles rash anytime in your life. Some people are more prone to getting them than others. Often it is a response to stress, injury or illness...much like when someone gets a coldsore or fever blister on their lip/mouth after being ill...same concept.

Psyche- I apologize for hijacking, but I have a question. So you don't have to be rexposed to the virus for shingle to come up? I ask b/c I actually got shingles about 14 after my Peaut was vaxed for Varicella. I always wondered, in the back of my mind, if that was how I got shingles. I never really researched if there was a link though.

twomonkeysmama
07-28-2009, 06:58 PM
Interesting re the vaccine...
With shingles there is no reexposure required. It is simply a reactivation of a virus you already have had that is sitting waiting to affect a nerve. As far as I know, you actually can't really "catch" shingles. HTH

3boysforme
07-28-2009, 07:00 PM
I just wanted to add that I didn't get the actual blisters until after I went to the hospital and got the diagnosis. So Psyche, the likely hood that your children were exposed to any pus from a blister is probably really small.

Apple-Saucy
07-28-2009, 07:02 PM
Psyche- I apologize for hijacking, but I have a question. So you don't have to be rexposed to the virus for shingle to come up? I ask b/c I actually got shingles about 14 after my Peaut was vaxed for Varicella. I always wondered, in the back of my mind, if that was how I got shingles. I never really researched if there was a link though.

It's unlikely that a chicken pox vax reactivated the virus in you. Simply because there are probably hundreds of people and kids walking through your neighborhood, your church, your grocery store every year whom you come into contact with who have just had the vax and you don't get shingles outbreaks from them... The only "known" causes are stress, fatigue, injury prior to the rash, weakened immune system, HIV/Aides, and other illness.