PDA

View Full Version : Raising Your Spirited Child

mellymommy
07-19-2009, 09:04 PM
I am LOVING this book!!! I tell you, the suggestions are making such a difference between me and P.

Understanding him and how he interacts and understands the world is helping me give him clear, concise, respectful directions.

Understanding the role of humor in a spirited mind is helping me help him laugh instead of cry.

Understanding how perceptive he is is helping me keep him on task but also giving him room to be intrigued with those things I might ignore.

Also, I've learned that *I* am a spirited child! When I shared my revelation with my dh he just laughed and said, "Well, yeah! I've always known that!" :lol I see myself in the pages of the book and see how my spirited nature *can* work against my son's spirited nature; I see how we can work together and laugh together. I see how NOT to get frustrated with both of us together. Finally, I see how my very introvert mother was so drained by me. I was a good, good kid with no behavioral issues but with BIG emotions and BIG extrovert needs. She didn't stand a chance!

If you have a spirited kid--GET THIS BOOK!!!!

kandykidsaturn
07-19-2009, 09:13 PM
I KNOW!!! It was my bible, then that book. it is amazing! I made my fiance read it before he even met my daughter! :giggle

ArmsOfLove
07-19-2009, 09:52 PM
I love the book. I'm pretty sure that is the one with the great look at introvert/extrovert :tu

gabriola
07-20-2009, 02:11 AM
I need to mark this to come back to later.

twomonkeysmama
07-20-2009, 11:43 AM
LOL this and my Bible are my standard night table books. It is brilliant, and gives perspective and yet is practical!

mindyncolin
07-20-2009, 02:31 PM
Thank you for sharing! I'd love to get this book!

StewardofLOs
07-20-2009, 02:48 PM
I love the book. I'm pretty sure that is the one with the great look at introvert/extrovert :tu
:yes that's the first time I really understood those terms--and what *I* need as an introvert

mellymommy - I love this book too (for myself and DS :giggle ) Unfortunately, I was only halfway through when we lost it. Time to get another copy! :)

macksmom
07-24-2009, 08:27 AM
I will have to get this book! I'm always looking for resources to help me better relate to/ understand my son :)

NCmom
07-24-2009, 08:42 AM
I need to get this from the library.... but can you have a spirited introvert?

SortaCrunchy
07-24-2009, 09:20 AM
Thank you for this recommendation! My toddler (not quite two) is spirited in ways I never knew possible.

Does it cover how to understand a spirited child as a toddler or is it more for older children?

movinforward
07-24-2009, 10:53 AM
I have a very spirited 3 y/o. I will have to get this book! Thank you!

Codi
07-24-2009, 11:28 AM
I need to get this from the library.... but can you have a spirited introvert?

YES! You CAN have a spirited introvert. There are a few mama's on here with one. :yes

Thank you for this recommendation! My toddler (not quite two) is spirited in ways I never knew possible.

Does it cover how to understand a spirited child as a toddler or is it more for older children?

YES! It is great for toddlers. :yes

Ok, now I want to re-read this book this week. :mrgreen

I also started writing an outline for quick reference. I would like to finish that, and post it here. And on my fridge. :shifty