PDA

View Full Version : Pillowcase Dress

MamaBach
07-10-2009, 06:07 PM
Has anyone made pillowcase dresses? They looked easy but my sewing machine is dusty!

Marielle
07-10-2009, 06:33 PM
Not yet but I'm hoping to make some soon. My mom gave me two thrifted pillowcases with embroidery at the hem that I'm itching to make into a dress and bloomers.

ellies mom
07-11-2009, 11:05 AM
This isn't the tutorial I used the first time but it is the first one that came up on Google that uses the technique I like. The elastic makes for a neater look.

http://freshlypicked.blogspot.com/2008/03/pillow-case-dress-tutorial.html

Here is another tutorial that is almost the same style. She sells the Madeline pattern that is a favorite of mine.
http://thehandmadedress.blogspot.com/2007/07/my-kinda-sorta-instructionstutorial-to.html

Most of the "elastic" tutorials use bias binding straps and they don't look like you've ran ribbon through the casing like the original pillowcase dress does. If you want the ribbon look, what I do is to sew a piece of ribbon 6-8" long (depending on the size of the dress and how long you want your bows) on to each end of the elastic. I pull the ribbon/elastic through until the elastic is at the edge of the casing and tack in place then I tack the other side of the elastic at the other side of the casing. I found it much easier to pre-attach the ribbon because the ribbon makes it easier to manipulate the elastic and the ribbon is tucked in the casing enough that it looks like it is ran all the way through.

ReedleBeetle
07-11-2009, 11:17 AM
I *love* pillowcase dresses and can't wait to have a little girl for this reason (amongst others of course!)

Codi
07-11-2009, 11:22 AM
Im *so* anxious to try this! Need to find a pillowcase I love!

ellies mom
07-11-2009, 12:11 PM
Im *so* anxious to try this! Need to find a pillowcase I love!

You don't need a pillowcase. Just measure one you've got and use fabric you like. If you need a different size, just use the basic ratio. On another board, a mama sewed two "4th of July" bandannas from the $1 Spot at Target together and used red bias binding. It made an adorable dress for a little girl and would make a cute top for an older girl.

MamaBach
07-12-2009, 01:16 PM
Well I'll be honest, the reason my sewing machine is dusty is because I don't sew. I have done a few things in the past. They took me so long to make I got discouraged. So, how hard are this to make? They look easy, and oh so cute. I would like to do one before it gets cold outside. I may need to start soon! I guess I can put a shirt under it.

rosesnsnails
07-12-2009, 01:52 PM
Pillowcase dresses are pretty easy. I briefly looked over the first tutorial. I like the idea of the elastic because traditional pillowcase dresses pose a choking hazard.

mum2abby
07-12-2009, 08:28 PM
They are super easy to make -- you can check out my etsy link as I've made a few for there.

Basically - you don't have to use a pillow case like the PP said - you can just use fabric and cut it to the length you want. I use elastic in the front & back and then a binding and allow them to tie on top of the shoulders. The best part is the dresses for my 8m old fit my almost 3yr old as a shirt;)

ellies mom
07-13-2009, 10:52 AM
Well I'll be honest, the reason my sewing machine is dusty is because I don't sew. I have done a few things in the past. They took me so long to make I got discouraged. So, how hard are this to make? They look easy, and oh so cute. I would like to do one before it gets cold outside. I may need to start soon! I guess I can put a shirt under it.
They are very easy to make. If you use pre-made double folded bias binding, it is even easier. I don't remember if it is mentioned in the tutorials but the prefolded stuff has one longer side. You put the longer side on the wrong side. Then when you are sewing the binding on from the right side, it automatically catches it on the wrong side.

MamaBach
07-15-2009, 08:34 AM
OK, you all talked me into it. I'll give it a try. I may be back on the with questions as I get going. This could get interesting!