PDA

View Full Version : Creeping Charlie aka lawn ivy

Soliloquy
06-23-2009, 07:05 AM
It's in the mint family and edible but I hate that it's constantly trying to creep into my beds.

For years I have been saying I will do the Borax method but I know if you use too much it will kill the grass and it takes years for Borax to leach out.

I bought this all natural weed killer, made with citric acid, cinnamon oil, and something else, can't remember, and that will supposedly kill amything green.

:think

MamaPepper
06-23-2009, 10:53 AM
:popcorn

hey mommy
06-23-2009, 10:58 AM
I had to look it up b/c I wasn't sure of the name, but yep, that's what we had at our old house.. I hate that stuff.. Nothing we used killed it.. We used roundup & vinegar(not at the same time), but the roots never totally died.. We controlled it a little bit w/those weed covers and then put rock over it, but they still peeked through.. Evil little things.. They wrapped themselves around our good plants..

HomeWithMyBabies
06-23-2009, 11:11 AM
So that's what it's called! I have that everywhere in my garden. There is weed block and stones all over the area from the previous owner but it's well established regardless. I've spent hours pulling it out by hand already, and I'm only half done at best.

Thankfully it's not to the lawn yet as the garden area is separate. I'll be waiting to hear how the stuff you bought works out for you. We have our SFG back there so I don't want to put any weird stuff on it.

Soliloquy
06-23-2009, 05:47 PM
I'll try my stuff and see how it goes. It prefers shade so it' easier to kill in a sunny area. Also, if you get grass well established, it makes it harder for it to take over.