PDA

View Full Version : Making a smoothie (HELP!)

ShiriChayim
06-23-2009, 06:46 AM
So I am a smoothie newbie, well, I am a make your own anything newbie, but I just got a blender and I want to make smoothies, so I need help. First question, a lot of the recipes I've found here don't use anything frozen or icy...do you not add ice or anything to them? Second, how much of what makes how much? I'm wanting to have something nutritious and cold to give the boys this summer so that while they are down on their food from heat, their health won't suffer for it, so I need to be able to make a lot. Third, I asked a friend about making a smoothie, and she told me to go get some frozen strawberries and frozen lemonade to make a good smoothie (oooh that sounds so good!) but now I don't know what to do with them...wouldn't the lemonade be STRONG, so I should add some ice or something? TIA!

Atarah
06-23-2009, 06:54 AM
I like my smoothies frozen.

I'll use 1 (or so ;)) cup of frozen fruit (blueberries, banana, strawberries), add a tbs or 2 of nut butter, a handful of greens if I'm feeling pale, and add enough (no sugar added) almond milk so it all blends up.

Easy peasy.

You can use juice instead of milk, but juice makes it hit my system faster (more simple carbs).
I also prefer berries over a banana for the same reason :yes

peacefullone
06-23-2009, 07:20 AM
here's some smoothies: http://www.mrbreakfast.com/subcategory.asp?subcategoryid=14&categoryid=4

I really like the banana oatmeal shake. But instead of adding ice, I like to add 1/3 cup of frozen blueberries. it makes about 3 cups.