PDA

View Full Version : WHAAAT did i do WRONG?!???? 5 minute bread and the demise of my pizza stone

crunchymum
06-17-2009, 07:29 PM
:hissyfit :biting :cry2

i did my first batch of 5 minute dough today, everything went ok until i put it in the oven... about 10 minutes later, i heard a CRAAAACK! and my beloved pizza stone was split into 3 pieces. :blue what did i do wrong? i did what the directions said... put the stone in the oven for 20 minutes as it heats up to 450, put a pan with a cup of water in and slid the dough onto the stone.

i really want this to work, but i don't know what to do now! and i'm mad because that stone was expensive and i use it all the time! :cry2

euromom
06-17-2009, 07:52 PM
Could it have been the temp of the water? Was the water on the stone? I'm so sorry Jen! :hugheart

crunchymum
06-17-2009, 07:57 PM
no water on the stone... i just put tap water in the pan. should it have been hot? my sister says she will give me her stone (she doesn't use it) but now i'm afraid to bake this bread on it...

euromom
06-17-2009, 08:00 PM
I just read through the recipe and it says to put boiling water in the tray. Dh seems to think it has something to do with the temp that caused the stone to crack but IDK :shrug

eta: or opps, not boiling, but it does say hot water

crunchymum
06-17-2009, 08:33 PM
well, i guess i should see if i can get it replaced... i think pampered chef has a 3 year warrenty? if they do, i might give it another go, using hot water... :nails in the meantime, can i use a regular cookie sheet?

Marzipan
06-17-2009, 08:51 PM
If you use a cookie sheet, turn it over and cook the bread on the bottom-- that's how I did my first couple of loaves. I had a stone split after about four months of use fpr 5 minute bread (it stayed in the oven all the time though) but it was a $9 cheapie from Wal-Mart. I think it just happens sometimes...

When I have the money, I'll get one from Williams-Sonoma. I hear they have a lifetime warranty.

Rabbit
06-18-2009, 01:02 AM
Sometimes stones just break. They're only clay. :hug2