PDA

View Full Version : Need opinions on some onsies I'm making the girls

JellyBean
06-17-2009, 01:36 PM
Ok...I need yalls opinions! I made these onsies for the girls and I did Avi's first and the stitching was a nightmare. I had to take it out a few times and it ripped a few holes so I had to put a flower on it to cover a big hole. So on Ali's I did different stitching which was much easier. My question is...should I add a flower to Ali's to make them coordinate, leave them how they are, or buy a new onsie and redo Avi's so they match..stitching and all. I'm pretty anal about things being perfect so please be honest!!
(And forgive my awful stitching...I'm still learning to sew!!!)

Here's how they are now

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v490/hink4687/IMG_7305.jpg

Close up of Ali

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v490/hink4687/IMG_7306.jpg

Close up of Avi

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v490/hink4687/IMG_7307.jpg

And here's a few of what it would look like with the flower added to Ali's name. If I add the flower which one do you like best?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v490/hink4687/IMG_7308.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v490/hink4687/IMG_7309.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v490/hink4687/IMG_7310.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v490/hink4687/IMG_7311.jpg

Sorry for all the pictures! Thanks!

Amber
06-17-2009, 01:52 PM
I would add a flower to Ali's...I like the one with the flower under the L.

newday
06-17-2009, 02:13 PM
sooo cute!
flower over the A is my choice or under the L
your work is really great. i find flimsy knits pretty difficult to sew on, but you did well...
Be pleased.

btw:
(you look like cameron diaz because of your georgous big smile ;) so pretty)

Naked Camper
06-17-2009, 02:18 PM
LOVE them!!!!!

JellyBean
06-17-2009, 07:31 PM
Thanks! I was excited with how cute they turned out despite all my mess ups! I have bibs I'm going to make to match them too! And I have some ribbon that has the same colors and I'm going to try and make some of the corkscrew bows. :D

crunchymum
06-17-2009, 07:38 PM
add the flower. :yes they are adorable! and the stitching for avi's looks good!

mollobe
06-17-2009, 07:44 PM
LOVE THEM!!! :heart :heart :heart

I say add the flower, too. It gives it a little extra oompf. :rockon

JellyBean
06-17-2009, 07:45 PM
add the flower. :yes they are adorable! and the stitching for avi's looks good!

Thanks! It was such a pain...Avi's literally took 2 days while Ali's took like 5 mins. :giggle My machine kept sucking in the fabric and getting jammed. I'm sure there's a setting I could change to fix that but I have no clue how to do that! And there was no stitch on my machine to do like the good tight one that is used when things are professional appliqued but I just took the zigzag and made it close together. Any other ideas on how to do that really tight back and forth stitch that's usually used on things like this?

JellyBean
06-17-2009, 07:46 PM
Oh...and I just realized one of the A's is backwards. :doh

allisonintx
06-17-2009, 07:47 PM
I thought that was on purpose so that they would have a unique look. :shrug3

JellyBean
06-17-2009, 07:49 PM
I thought that was on purpose so that they would have a unique look. :shrug3

Good! I'll pretend it was intentional. :giggle

allisonintx
06-17-2009, 07:51 PM
did you put interfacing on the inside of the onesie? All our stuff that is embroidered that way has stiff interfacing on the inside that keeps the knit in place while it's being sewn.

JellyBean
06-17-2009, 08:00 PM
did you put interfacing on the inside of the onesie? All our stuff that is embroidered that way has stiff interfacing on the inside that keeps the knit in place while it's being sewn.

Yea...I used the wonder under stuff. Is that what your talking about?

HummusDip
06-17-2009, 08:12 PM
I didn't notice the A being backwards. :giggle I think you should add the flower, though. I prefer the flower above the I. And then you can go ahead and make some for my kids, ok? J-a-d-e-n and D-a-v-i-n and I don't mind if mine are backwards or funky stiched, mmm kay? Thanks! :shifty :lol SOOOOOOO cute!!! :jawdrop :tu

Radosny Matka
06-17-2009, 08:16 PM
They are precious!!! :hearts I don't know if you did this or it was suggested, however, if you iron on some freezer paper on the backside of the onsie, it holds the fabric steadier and makes stitching a whole lot easier (and it just tears off when you are done)!!! I also like the flower over the A.

JellyBean
06-17-2009, 08:30 PM
They are precious!!! :hearts I don't know if you did this or it was suggested, however, if you iron on some freezer paper on the backside of the onsie, it holds the fabric steadier and makes stitching a whole lot easier (and it just tears off when you are done)!!! I also like the flower over the A.

I used the wonder under stuff that you iron on the back of the letters. I didn't know you could use freezer paper...cool!

JellyBean
06-17-2009, 08:30 PM
I didn't notice the A being backwards. :giggle I think you should add the flower, though. I prefer the flower above the I. And then you can go ahead and make some for my kids, ok? J-a-d-e-n and D-a-v-i-n and I don't mind if mine are backwards or funky stiched, mmm kay? Thanks! :shifty :lol SOOOOOOO cute!!! :jawdrop :tu

:giggle Thanks!

backtobasicsmum
06-17-2009, 08:34 PM
They are super cute! :yes :heart

RubySlippers
06-17-2009, 08:41 PM
I think they are really cute. :rockon
If you add the flower, I like the one with the flower on top between the L and I. :)

JellyBean
06-17-2009, 08:42 PM
If you add the flower, I like the one with the flower on top between the L and I. :)

That's what I'm thinking. I like it on top b/c the other is on bottom.

mummy2boys
06-17-2009, 09:53 PM
:heart They are gorgeous :heart

ReedleBeetle
06-17-2009, 10:55 PM
I think they are really cute!! I would add a flower and I think I like it above the L and the I.

ArmsOfLove
06-17-2009, 11:14 PM
I would add a flower OR something that captures her personality (butterfly, different kind of flower, etc)

Maggie
06-17-2009, 11:24 PM

:haha I especially like the "...mmm kay?" :laughtears

JB, Those are so cool!! You did a great job! :rockon :heart I like it with the flower...and above the L.

HummusDip
06-17-2009, 11:45 PM
:P~

Marielle
06-18-2009, 06:59 AM
:clap Those are adorable! I agree with adding the flower either the top left or bottom right. I love your fabric choices.

I agree with Sara too, wonder under (the light version) to back the letters then a big rectangle of freezer paper ironed to the wrong side of the front of the shirt (under the letters) which makes it way easier to stitch around on that stretchy jersey. Then when you're done, gently rip off the freezer paper from the back.

mollobe
06-18-2009, 07:26 AM
:clap Those are adorable! I agree with adding the flower either the top left or bottom right. I love your fabric choices.

I agree with Sara too, wonder under (the light version) to back the letters then a big rectangle of freezer paper ironed to the wrong side of the front of the shirt (under the letters) which makes it way easier to stitch around on that stretchy jersey. Then when you're done, gently rip off the freezer paper from the back.

What's freezer paper? :scratch Like wax paper? Parchment paper? :think

klpmommy
06-18-2009, 07:43 AM
I would add a flower to Ali's...I like the one with the flower under the L.

:yes :nak2

Marielle
06-18-2009, 07:47 AM
molly freezer paper is a thick white paper that has a waxy like coating on one side. It's sturdier than wax paper or parchment paper (I like it for painting with kids since the coating doesn't let `water colors or poster paints soak through).

The waxy coating melts with the iron and allows it to temporarily stick to the fabric.

Cat
06-18-2009, 09:13 AM
So pretty! :heart

(P.S. You are much prettier than Camerian Diaz. :heart)

JellyBean
06-18-2009, 09:14 AM
So pretty! :heart

(P.S. You are much prettier than Camerian Diaz. :heart)

Ah thanks! :O

RubySlippers
06-18-2009, 10:18 AM

That's what I'm thinking. I like it on top b/c the other is on bottom.

I think it looks more balanced. :yes