PDA

View Full Version : Are there any dyers/tie-dyers here?

pookel
06-15-2009, 08:58 AM
I've been tie-dyeing for a little over 2 years now, just coming up on my third summer of selling at local craft fairs and trying to get into selling online a little. I haven't gotten into yarn dyeing mostly because I'm allergic to wool, although I'm thinking of trying it with cotton someday. Anyone else here a huge Dharma Trading Co. fan?

KLin
06-15-2009, 02:30 PM
I do not...however, we would like a set of tie-dies for the family. Two adult and two children. My DH has asked me for some. We have found some real soft pima cotton tie dies for the boys through lands end, and my DH and I want some as well. Could you, would you do something like that??

Ima LeShalosh
06-15-2009, 03:04 PM
Blue Savannah and Righteous Mama are both TDing mamas :yes I am pretty sure Blue Savannah dyes yarn

pookel
06-15-2009, 05:23 PM
I do not...however, we would like a set of tie-dies for the family. Two adult and two children. My DH has asked me for some. We have found some real soft pima cotton tie dies for the boys through lands end, and my DH and I want some as well. Could you, would you do something like that??

I wish I could say yes, but I don't do customs ... not because I don't want to, but because I don't trust myself to get it right! :lol I tend to get really random results with my tie-dye, and while some of them are cool, some of them are failures. :hunh I wouldn't want to disappoint!

Zipporah
06-15-2009, 05:44 PM
:raise
I only do it for personal use though.p

pookel
06-16-2009, 05:12 PM
:raise
I only do it for personal use though.p

That was how I started ... I'm not quite sure how I fell into selling it! :lol

HummusDip
06-16-2009, 11:19 PM
I'm a big tie dyer, but I've only done stuff for myself. I wouldn't feel comfortable selling yet. Because sometimes my work is great and sometimes it's embarassing. :lol

scottishthistle
06-17-2009, 05:59 AM
what dyes do you all use? my son came home with an awesome tie-dye shirt he'd made from kool-aid but had no idea how they'd made the dye exactly :scratch

HummusDip
06-17-2009, 07:58 AM
I just use the dye packets at Walmart. They are under a buck each. I've also used RIT dye too. :yes

pookel
06-17-2009, 08:20 AM
I use the Procion dyes from Dharma Trading Company. There is noooo comparison. But they are a little harder to work with (you have to soak in soda ash and then mix up powdered dyes with water). They're also a little more of an investment, but once you buy them, they go a long way. The initial setup probably costs about $100 for all the chemicals and tools and dyes (turquoise, fuchsia, lemon yellow, black - can mix to create other colors), but that's enough to dye hundreds of t-shirts.

edited to fix name of company - google it for their website

HummusDip
06-17-2009, 08:31 AM
I'd be interested in getting some actually! I've been *really* unhappy with the cheap stuff from Walmart. Sometimes the colors turn out great, but a few of them are totally wonky. Like the pea green is actually neon yellow! :hunh

pookel
06-17-2009, 10:12 AM
You can buy tiedye kits from Dharma, but honestly I think it's worth it to buy the stuff individually - it works out cheaper that way. If you go to their tie-dye kit section, you can see a list of everything that's needed for a tie-dye project, and then you can go buy the supplies from them separately.

IMHO, the only things you REALLY need are Procion dyes, soda ash, (vinegar if you're doing silk), latex gloves, squirt bottles, and a place to dye where you won't ruin anything. :lol But if anyone wants to know my complete method I'll happily post it. :)

righteous mama
06-17-2009, 10:20 AM
I tie dye. I do a lot of silks, but love to do cotton, too. I'm taking a bit of a break since we moved in with my parents and I'm about to have a baby. I use Dharma for just about everything. :heart