PDA

View Full Version : new crochet-er ?s

tiffany
06-01-2009, 08:30 AM
I just bought a kit at Wal Mart that has hooks an instruction/pattern book and some other stuff and have learned how to crochet a little bit, but my problem is the tension on my left hand. It seems like the tension is the key to the whole thing and I can't figure out how to keep it consistent. Help?!?! And it's just not pretty yet, am I doing something wrong or just because of the tension or just because it takes more practice than i have given it yet?

I have so much to learn!!! Any tips for newbies!?!?!

DragonfliiMama
06-01-2009, 09:32 AM
I had a lot of trouble with tension when I first started too, and it's still not totally even but I'm getting better. The two things I found that helped the most were finding a comfortable way to hold the yarn, and just practicing. There are lots of different ways to hold the yarn and the way my book recommended had it twined over and under almost every finger on my left hand, and I got really frustrated with that because it didn't slide well. So I'd get about 5 stitches done, unwind all my fingers, let the yarn out, wind it all back around my hand, do 5 more stitches... all that stopping and starting was really annoying and did not help for smooth consistent stitches. Once I found a hold that works for me, things went a lot better. And just practice practice practice...

tiffany
06-01-2009, 10:41 AM
thanks! my book is like that too, but I saw some videos on YouTube that helped with that. I am getting better, but I just don't have it yet...

I'll keep practicing! thanks again!

RubySlippers
06-01-2009, 11:17 AM
I wrap the yarn once or twice around my pinky. :hug

Apple-Saucy
06-01-2009, 11:22 AM
I lay the yarn between my pinky and ring finger then do a half wrap around my 1st finger, and hold the other end (the end hanging off the hook between my thumb and middle finger....

Does that even make sense :hunh :scratch

tiffany
06-02-2009, 08:35 AM
thanks ladies!

so what things do YOU make? I can't wait to get started on something (very easy of course for now - any ideas for the first project? - my book says a scarf), but I'm looking forward to something useful later! I really want to do woolies at some point and a big afghan that looks really cool, but I am curious what else YOU do with crochet?

Apple-Saucy
06-02-2009, 08:38 AM
Useful things :-D

My first crochet project was 10 scarves in different patterns for Christmas Gifts LOL.

I made baby afghans and booties as well.

Mama Bird
06-02-2009, 08:38 AM
Woolies. The pattern that TTL posted is so easy and it makes a spectacular pair of woolies.

Some things you can do to start on are dish rags made from cotton yarn, potholders from any old yarn. Those are good to start on and you make something useful even if it isn't perfect. :O

I have to work on my hold, because I hold the yarn in my index finger, with my finger bent over. It gets painful after a while, but anything else feels too awkward.

DragonfliiMama
06-02-2009, 08:53 AM
Another good starter / practice project - small "blankets" to be donated to your local animal shelter. I know ours at least likes to give the animals something soft to keep in the kennel with them. It doesn't have to be big, or perfect, or even very nice at all, the dogs don't care. :) It's also a great way to use up leftover ends that aren't enough for other projects.

RubySlippers
06-02-2009, 09:40 AM
Simple bookmarks usually work up quickly. :)