PDA

View Full Version : Time Sensitive (kinda) Ground Beef in Crock pot- Q?

ValiantJoy07
05-28-2009, 09:06 AM
I hate browning beef, petty yes...But I HATE It. :sick especially while preggo.

I'm making chilli in the croc pot for supper tonight and wondering if I can dump the raw (lean ground beef) in there with all the rest and let it cook on it's own? Would it be safe to eat in say, 8 hours on low?

I know that the recipe will probalby be a little tiny bit fattier/greasier than if I cooked and drained- but that doesn't bother me too much.

Just wondering, is it safe? :giggle not wanting to give my family food poisioning or some thing.

I may end up browning the beef today (blegh) but wondering for future reference, we eat a lot of chilli.

mamacat
05-28-2009, 09:12 AM
I would oile the sides of crock with paper towel & put beef in by itself to start & let it brown in there on its own before adding other ingred.s Ive tried it the way you mentioned - only we make our chili withground turkey - & it cooked enuf to be safe but the texture was yucky

monkeylicious
05-28-2009, 09:13 AM
i've done that before and i'm assuming it was safe - it was thoroughly cooked, so i didn't see the problem. the bigger issue and why i won't do it again, unless i absolutely need to (frozen...) was texture. like the beef no longer had texture..

Elora
05-28-2009, 09:14 AM
safe, just mushy

richesabove
05-28-2009, 09:16 AM
yeah, safe. but I don't care for the texture at all. I too hate to brown beef. I understand :yes2

ValiantJoy07
05-28-2009, 09:28 AM
thanks I'll have to cave in and brown today but next week I'll try the paper towel suggestion and then add the rest of the ingredients at lunch time!! I just discovered "The Cook Book" Forum today :doh I don't know how I lived with out this amazing resource!!!! :heart I've been wanting to ask about the ground beef thing for a long time but had no where to go

:gcm