PDA

View Full Version : Need Ideas for Raw or Mostly Raw Salad Dressings

bananacake
05-27-2009, 08:40 AM
I eat a no-dairy, no-soy, & no-wheat diet. We eat a lot of salads, and don't generally buy pre-made salad dressings. I need some ideas from raw or mostly raw salad dressings.

I already make a plain one with vinegar (I use raw cider), oil, salt, pepper and mustard. Sometimes I add basil, oregano & garlic.

I made one recently that I like a lot with lemon juice, oil, salt, pepper, garlic and fresh mint.

I have a raw caesar and raw ranch one too.

Sometimes I add hemp seeds to make the dressings "creamy".

Any other ideas?

ShangriLewis
05-27-2009, 08:54 AM
I use salsa a lot.

A blended avocado works great, too. Just add spices you like and you can thin it with your favorite milk.

If you google raw vegan dressing, you will get a ton.

If you eat raw egg you can make dressing with that as a base, as well.

TuneMyHeart
05-27-2009, 08:56 AM
:popcorn I have yet to see a store-bought, corn-free dressing. Bananacake, will you share your ranch recipe?

bananacake
05-27-2009, 09:05 AM
I make the ranch dressing recipe below. I pretty much followed the recipe exactly (hard to believe!) except I used hemp seeds instead of cashews (so Bear could eat it) and I halved the vinegar to make it thicker. I also did not use any fresh herbs, and you don't need to soak hemp seeds.

http://thesunnyrawkitchen.blogspot.com/2007/09/recipe-of-week-ranch-dressing-or-dip.html

Ranch Dressing/Dip

Soak time: 1-2 hrs
Preparation time: 5 Minutes
Number of Servings: 24 (or 3 cups)

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups nuts (cashew or mac or combo) soak them for a creamier dressing (1-2 hrs is fine, then drain)
3/4 - 1 cup filtered water for blending
3 tablespoons lemon juice (translates into approx 1/2 lemon)
1/3 cup cider vinegar
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons agave (or 3 soaked dates)
2 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon garlic pwd
3 teaspoons onion pwd
1 teaspoon dill
1 tablespoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon basil

And to add after it's done:
1/4 cup finely minced parsley
another 1/2 t dill, minced

Directions
Vitamix blend all ingredients till creamy and smooth except the last 2, then once blended, stir in the last 2 ingredients.

Thickens in fridge.

Thin to desired consistency if using as a dressing- or toss into wet lettuce leaves as is.

Aisling
05-27-2009, 09:16 AM
There's a really awesome ginger one someone posted once...I'll have to look and see if I can find it. :glasses

bananacake
05-28-2009, 08:54 AM
If you google raw vegan dressing, you will get a ton.

I want some tried & true ones since many of the raw ingredients are expensive. But I may resort to that :giggle