PDA

View Full Version : To frog, or not to frog?

Eowyn
05-26-2009, 09:05 PM
I'm hoping to sell these. The wool is super soft, but the colors are pooling. :banghead

I assume they'd have more appeal if I frogged them and started over without the pooling. :pout

What would you do?

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c114/theladyeowynofrohan/Projects/Variegatedsoaker4.jpg http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c114/theladyeowynofrohan/Projects/Variegatedsoaker5.jpg

Amber
05-26-2009, 09:12 PM
I love the colors...but not the pooling :shifty

mummy2boys
05-26-2009, 09:13 PM
I too love the colours......but whats frogging?? :hiding

HummusDip
05-26-2009, 09:15 PM
Frogging is ripping it out and starting over (rrrrrrrrripit)

But I don't know what pooling is? :P~

Eowyn
05-26-2009, 09:25 PM
Frogging is ripping it out and starting over (rrrrrrrrripit)

But I don't know what pooling is? :P~

Pooling is the way the colors are all clumped together.

Now I'm all whiny. It's 80 stitches, done on size 6s. The waist band was done on 4s. Grar. :mutter Now I shall have to calculate how to get the right gauge without the pooling. Poooooo.

HummusDip
05-26-2009, 09:50 PM
Well, it's just beautiful. What are you making exactly? And how much are you wanting for them? I would be very interested..

crunchymum
05-26-2009, 09:58 PM
i personally really like the pooling in those particular colors... :yes maybe if i knew how to knit i would feel different? :lol but to this non-knitter, i think the pooling makes it more interesting and unique. :shrug3

Eowyn
05-26-2009, 10:08 PM
Well, it's just beautiful. What are you making exactly? And how much are you wanting for them? I would be very interested..

Thank you! I'm making a basic soaker that would work well for summer, as it has cute little legs. I love the colors and texture, but it needs to go. :) I have no idea how much to ask for them. :bag I am notoriously bad at pricing things. I either totally lowball or ask too much. Poke around on etsy and hyena cart, compare, and make me an offer I'm highly unlikely to refuse. ;)

DancingWithElves
05-26-2009, 10:09 PM
yeah, it's a little weird, sorry. :hug2 but gorgeous colors.
if you figure out how to do it without pooling, do tell me, b/c i have no idea how i would have done that :scratch

Amber
05-26-2009, 10:39 PM
Can you make them a little bigger or smaller to get rid of the pooling...or do they need to be in that size?

Eowyn
05-26-2009, 10:51 PM
Can you make them a little bigger or smaller to get rid of the pooling...or do they need to be in that size?

I'm going to go a few stitches larger. That particular pattern has lots of stretch.

Marrae
05-27-2009, 05:36 AM
i personally really like the pooling in those particular colors

Me too! It looks like camo sorta.

Tengokujin
05-27-2009, 06:50 AM
I don't mind pooling, butit seems to bother a lot of folks, so I guess fix it.

would reknitting, knitting from each end of the ball of yarn (inner and outer end) and alternating rows work? Seems that changing the gauge doesn't guarantee no pooling. If that just tangles, you could make two balls of separate yarn, and again alternate rows.

Naked Camper
05-27-2009, 07:12 AM
I know I'd be tempted to frog :shifty

Eowyn
05-27-2009, 09:32 AM
I frogged. The pooling would definitely have stopped when I got to the short rows, but until then, it was a little funky looking.

ellies mom
05-27-2009, 07:17 PM
I don't mind pooling, butit seems to bother a lot of folks, so I guess fix it.

would reknitting, knitting from each end of the ball of yarn (inner and outer end) and alternating rows work? Seems that changing the gauge doesn't guarantee no pooling. If that just tangles, you could make two balls of separate yarn, and again alternate rows.

This is what I was going to suggest. I have a love-hate relationship with variegated yarn. I love the colors in the skein. I get sucked in and buy it but then I hate how it looks knitted up so I never finish it. I can't really afford to buy yarn just to leave it laying around unused so I stopped buying it. But my current "thinking" project is a Knit Picks variegated yarn that I could not resist and at their prices I didn't have to. I decided to alternate every two rows and I like it much better. If I was knitting in the round, I'd switch every row so there wasn't the pooling and the "floats" would be really short on the inside

BeckaBlue
05-27-2009, 10:00 PM
I'd either add/take away stitches or alternate ends every couple rows :yes
i love the colors as well but the pooling would bother me as well unless it could stay consitent the whole way through the body, which is pretty much guaranteed not gonna happen :giggle

Eowyn
05-27-2009, 10:06 PM
Second try seems to be going better so far. :nails

HummusDip
05-27-2009, 10:13 PM
I will look on etsy and make an offer, I'm really in love with it. :heart

Do you think it would fit my 12mo 20ish lb boy? I don't know what size that would be... :think

RubySlippers
05-27-2009, 10:17 PM
I have no idea how to "fix" pooling. I hope your second attempt goes better. :hug2

Eowyn
05-27-2009, 10:22 PM
I will look on etsy and make an offer, I'm really in love with it. :heart

Do you think it would fit my 12mo 20ish lb boy? I don't know what size that would be... :think

Yep. :yes Ollie's 28lbs, and it will fit him. The pattern has ribbing in such a way that it covers a range of sizes.

Blue Savannah
05-28-2009, 07:21 AM
okay, so. . . let me ask a few questions.

First, why is color pooling not desirable?

And, if it happens, is it the yarn or the way the yarn fits with the pattern?

Aisling
05-28-2009, 07:24 AM
Those colors are gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous. :hearts

I think I would have frogged, too. As if I knew how to do anything except frogging at this point! :haha

Eowyn
05-28-2009, 07:42 AM

Pooling tends to look like camo. Some people don't mind. It bugs me because I'm not a camo fan. It's usually the way the yarn fits with the pattern. For instance, on 80 stitches, major pooling. On 72, it's looking like far less. The way this yarn is done, there will be some pooling somewhere, but how much depends on the way the stitches line up.

Blue Savannah
05-28-2009, 01:35 PM

Pooling tends to look like camo. Some people don't mind. It bugs me because I'm not a camo fan. It's usually the way the yarn fits with the pattern. For instance, on 80 stitches, major pooling. On 72, it's looking like far less. The way this yarn is done, there will be some pooling somewhere, but how much depends on the way the stitches line up.

So, as a dyer, I don't need to really worry about it? It's the knitter's problem? :giggle