PDA

View Full Version : Knitting in the round never seemed so mind blowing!

RubySlippers
05-21-2009, 10:38 PM
I was shown a new (to me) technique that doesn't use 4 double pointed needles or the magic loop.
Instead it uses 2 circular needles. :jawdrop It's brilliant!! :idea
AND I was invited to join a knitting group by the lady who introduced me to the technique. :danced
All I need to decide is my first project. A hat? A sock? A toy?
I don't really care, I just want to knit because I can! :sillygrin

Naked Camper
05-22-2009, 05:07 AM
:woohoo

I first saw that technique recently when I was looking at youtube videos on how to knit socks. super smart idea!!

RubySlippers
05-22-2009, 09:52 AM
I stopped by Michael's last night and bought 4 sets of circular needles.
Two for Apple and two for me. I had one set at home, but they are Boye and I have no idea which size they are. :doh
I need a project! Suggestions, anyone?

BlessedBlue
05-22-2009, 09:54 AM
:rockon

I'm not a knitter, but I know my mom LOVES her circular needles. So I can be excited for you. :)

RubySlippers
05-22-2009, 10:00 AM
Morgan, are you going to try it out? :poke

BlessedBlue, you are so sweet. :hug :heart

Punkie
05-22-2009, 10:15 AM
That's the technique that I use for making the stuffed animals that I've swapped on here. I'm also using it for a pair of socks right now. Its great! I always giggle at how in books and on videos they call the needle that's not being used, with the two points hanging down, "the 'udder' needle". Har har. :P~

Naked Camper
05-22-2009, 11:04 AM
I've thought about it. There's a mom in the sns forum that wants fingerless gloves like from Twilight. If I decide to make those (still thinking on it) I will try the circular needles b/c I don't have the specific size the pattern calls for. I just don't know that I can afford new knitting needles right now :shifty Esp. when I'm much better at crochet. :shrug3 But I am planning on going to the fabric store today and might end up being tempted to get the needles. I'm such a sucker for that kind of stuff.

Naked Camper
05-22-2009, 11:08 AM
AFA project... are you wanting something small to start with? Or are you okay with a larger task?

I like toys, but I'm not sure many would call for the circular needle or dpn's. :shrug3 I don't knit often b/c I can't stand for my kids to take the needles out of 1/2 done projects and ruining what was HOURS of my time :doh (which is why i took up crochet :wink)

sock are fun :) there's some real yummy self striping yarn out there right now for socks :yes

BeckaBlue
05-22-2009, 11:16 AM
I hate the 2 circ method, worse than dpn's :bag

Eowyn
05-22-2009, 11:18 AM
I've thought about it. There's a mom in the sns forum that wants fingerless gloves like from Twilight. If I decide to make those (still thinking on it) I will try the circular needles b/c I don't have the specific size the pattern calls for. I just don't know that I can afford new knitting needles right now :shifty

Save your pennies, madam, we're hitting the LYS when you get here. :yes

Naked Camper
05-22-2009, 11:20 AM
:tu will do Lindsay

RosalieMarie
05-22-2009, 11:51 AM
I don't think I've seen this? :think I just finished my first magic loop project, and really liked it! For smaller knitting in the round my favorite is still just using one small circular needle.

RubySlippers
05-22-2009, 12:05 PM
I always giggle at how in books and on videos they call the needle that's not being used, with the two points hanging down, "the 'udder' needle". Har har. :P~

I showed Apple a youtube video demonstration that explained the "udder needle" It's a funny analogy. :giggle

I don't think I've seen this? :think I just finished my first magic loop project, and really liked it! For smaller knitting in the round my favorite is still just using one small circular needle.

I tried the magic loop, it's fiddly and it kinked my cable. That small project is still on my one cable.
Apple started a two circ. project that is so tiny it could be a finger of a glove for Cutie.
Here's the youtube video I showed Apple that also explains the "utter needle". :giggle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RybPvCNfrT8&feature=related

AFA project... are you wanting something small to start with? Or are you okay with a larger task?

I'm open.
I was just searching ravelry for knitted amigurumi, and that led to looking for sackboy projects.
I downloaded the pdf. I'm still undecided.

RubySlippers
05-22-2009, 12:16 PM
I just don't know that I can afford new knitting needles right now :shifty Esp. when I'm much better at crochet. :shrug3

I'm much better at crochet as well, which is why getting excited about knitting is...well...exciting. :giggle
I've skipped buying my weekly mocha for over a month, so I didn't feel bad about spending $12 on 2 Susan Bates circ. needles.
I have got to get myself over to knitpicks and see how much their needles run.
Nevermind, just wandered over there and they are very reasonable!

Oh, do tell! What were the issues you encountered? What method do you prefer? :)

Eowyn
05-22-2009, 12:24 PM
I tried the magic loop, it's fiddly and it kinked my cable.

What brand of needles are you using? I find that needle quality really makes a difference.

RubySlippers
05-22-2009, 12:34 PM

What brand of needles are you using? I find that needle quality really makes a difference.

That circ. needle is a Boye. I can't wait to use the others.

Eowyn
05-22-2009, 12:45 PM

That circ. needle is a Boye. I can't wait to use the others.

May I make a recommendation? Splurge a bit and get the Addi Turbo or the Hiya Hiya. Hiyas are generally $5-9 a pair, and I love them. The cable is springy, and has a kink right at the join, but is stiff enough to hold out my work and flexible enough that it doesn't kink anywhere else. I refuse to magic loop with another brand.

RubySlippers
05-22-2009, 12:48 PM
May I make a recommendation? Splurge a bit and get the Addi Turbo or the Hiya Hiya. Hiyas are generally $5-9 a pair, and I love them. The cable is springy, and has a kink right at the join, but is stiff enough to hold out my work and flexible enough that it doesn't kink anywhere else. I refuse to magic loop with another brand.

Of course you can make recommendations! Knitting is not my forte so I'll take all the advice you're willing to share. :hug

Eowyn
05-22-2009, 12:58 PM

Of course you can make recommendations! Knitting is not my forte so I'll take all the advice you're willing to share. :hug

Here are the Addis: http://www.yarn.com/webs-knitting-needles-skacel/ and here are the Hiya Hiyas: http://www.theyarngrove.com/cine.html

BeckaBlue
05-22-2009, 01:22 PM
Oh, do tell! What were the issues you encountered? What method do you prefer? :)

It just got overstimulating having all those needles floating around. dpns are kept more in place so i prefer them over 2circ, but i pretty exclusively use magic loop for small diameters :)

RosalieMarie
05-22-2009, 01:39 PM
Knit picks needles are my favorites! :yes They also run cheaper than the circs at AC Moore.

Eowyn
05-22-2009, 01:41 PM
Knit picks needles are my favorites! :yes They also run cheaper than the circs at AC Moore.

I sooo badly want a set of Harmony Woods. :yes The metal needles are nickel plated, so I need to stick with the wood, but they're so light and lovely. :melting I love those needles.

RubySlippers
05-23-2009, 08:46 AM
I went to the knit group with my dd yesterday! :woohoo

One of the leaders uses Addi Turbo or Knit Picks needles. The other uses Knit Picks Options.
The other members were using bamboo needles.

I put a small knit project on the needles. My fingers are itching to get back to it. :)

/del

Marielle
05-23-2009, 12:16 PM
I love that pink lemonade yarn and woohoo on learning circular knitting on two needles. I'm a magic looper myself but only because when I bought my knitpicks options I bought several extra cables including some sizes not in the kits. Before that though I was an Addi devotee and bought a whole set of them from Kangaroo (a uk site but had the best addi prices even with the exchange).