PDA

View Full Version : Need a great, classic beef stew recipe

Blue Savannah
05-02-2009, 01:30 PM
I did a search, but nothing came up. :scratch Surely one of you has a perfect recipe!

AngelaVA
05-02-2009, 01:53 PM
I don't really have a recipe, I can tell you what I do though...(all measurements are approximate since I rarely measure anything)

mix up about 1/4 cup of flour with about 1 t salt and 1 t pepper, roll cubed beef stew meat in this (about 1 lb) brown this, along with a chopped onion in oil on the top of the stove in an oven proof pan after it is brown add about 2/3 of a box of beef broth and 1 T cider vinegar and a bay leaf along with about 1 1/2 cups of diced or baby carrots and 2-3 peeled diced potatoes, put it in the oven at 325 for at least an hour and up to two hours . I usually serve it with cornbread or biscuits.

RealLifeMama
05-02-2009, 02:57 PM
I do mine pretty much like Angela, but I brown the meat in a pan and then remove it to the pot or crock pot I am going to cook it in. Then, I deglaze the pan with some red wine along with the broth, and I add some worcestishire and the bay leaf.
Then, I put all the veggies in the pot (onions, carrots, potatoes, and if it is green bean season, green beans) I usually portion my veggies by the number of people eating. (like, one potato per person, 2 carrots, 5 or so green beans, and then never do I do more than two small onions. )
I normally do it in the crock pot, and I just let it go until it is done.

As far as the search does, if you typed in "beef stew" while you were in this "soups" forum, it is unlikely you will have gotten anything. You can go to the main Cookbook forum, and search again, and you should get threads that way.

A lot of them just mention beef stew, but
Here is one I found
http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/mb/index.php?topic=199846.msg2113701#msg2113701

a good thread
http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/mb/index.php?topic=192056.0

Blue Savannah
05-02-2009, 03:24 PM
Thank you both! :heart