PDA

View Full Version : Looking for soups i can eat

DancingWithElves
04-17-2009, 11:59 AM
So, part of this morning sickness is texture issues. I have to have soup. Dh cannot make soup, he is a decent cook, but not soup. We've been trying a variety of canned soups. almost all are gross, ones that are not have too much sodium. I was getting Wendy's chili, but just found out it has red 40 in it, and yeast extract :pout not cool.
So, here is what Ineed. Something I can put into crock pot in the garage (so i don't have to smell it cooking). no cubes or boxes, no pasta. No broth b/c it makes it too expensive for me. I am good at adjusting spices as needed. I am not good at crock-pot cooking, so I need temperatures and the time needed for cooking, or else I'll ruin it :O
So, pretty please, can you come up with something i can eat? :heart

Can'tTurnLeft
04-17-2009, 12:54 PM
Do you like smooth soups? Spicy? meat? Beans?

I love soup, so I hope I can help you out!

DancingWithElves
04-17-2009, 12:55 PM
honestly, all of the above :grin
smooth probably not what i want the most, i'm into chunky stuff now. but yeah, it all sounds good

Can'tTurnLeft
04-17-2009, 01:15 PM
Okay well my favorite FAVORITE favorite soup is a very easy one! Black bean soup

2 cans black bean
1 jar salsa

Heat them up, blend them in your blender and top it with some sour cream or cheese. It is SO good and you can adjust how spicy based on what you want/like. Also since it is super quick it doesn't really smell as you cook it AND you can make it quickly on demand!

Chicken noodle soup
Put a chicken in your crock pot in the morning and cover with water cook on low all day.
About two hours before you want to eat throw in two chopped carrots, two chopped celery stalks and one onion. Remove the chicken and shred meat Reserving carcass. At this point you can remove half of the broth and chill it (I'll explain why later) Thin down the broth with some more water and add the chicken back. Add 1 Tablespoon of herbs de provence. cook for another half an hour and add your noodles. cook till noodles are done and salt and pepper to taste.

Now take the reserved broth and add the carcass back to it and fill the crock pot with water. Throw some chunked carrots, celery and onion into the pot. Add a bay leaf and 2 T thyme. cook on low all night long, and then in the morning you'll have a really good chicken stock to use for other soups!

Now that you have some chicken stock, make my cauliflower soup! Garlicky, but oh so good!

1 quart chicken or vegetable stock
3 cloves garlic
1 lb frozen or fresh cauliflower
1 t. salt
1 T. herbes de Provence
1/3 c. cream

Cook the garlic in the chicken stock for about 1/2 an hour then add cauliflower and simmer until it is soft. Add the salt and herbes and then blend either with a stick blender or your stand blender. Stir in cream. If you don't have cream, you can use half and half or evaporated milk, but the cream tastes the best :)