PDA

View Full Version : store bought patterns?

peacefullone
04-09-2009, 08:28 AM
Does anyone else here not care for them? I would rather make up my own patterns and ideas for sewing stuff. They just seem to be too confusing for me, and then the paper is so hard for me to work with.

Naked Camper
04-09-2009, 09:45 AM
:shrug3 sometimes i need the extra help or like someone else to do the thinking for me

peacefullone
04-09-2009, 09:47 AM
I like to look at things, for ideas and then I change how I do it. it ends up different than the pattern

Yuliana
04-09-2009, 09:49 AM
I am not experienced enough to make up my own patterns. I transfer my store bought patterns to Pellon Easy Pattern so it is easy to use every time and does not brake as easily as the other paper.

peacefullone
04-09-2009, 09:52 AM
I am not experienced enough to make up my own patterns. I transfer my store bought patterns to Pellon Easy Pattern so it is easy to use every time and does not brake as easily as the other paper.

what is Pellon Easy Pattern, I've never heard of that.?

Yuliana
04-09-2009, 09:57 AM

I bought it at Joann's

* Nonwoven pattern using tracing material for altering, duplicating and tracing patterns.
* Approx. 90% Viscose, 10% Polyester
* 44" Wide
* White

peacefullone
04-09-2009, 10:14 AM

I bought it at Joann's

* Nonwoven pattern using tracing material for altering, duplicating and tracing patterns.
* Approx. 90% Viscose, 10% Polyester
* 44" Wide
* White

cool

TestifyToLove
04-09-2009, 10:24 AM
Oh, I should try that for my patterns!

I much prefer patterns. But, I learned to sew via pattern work in the first place. I find that unlike yarn if I misjudge fabric, once its cut its too late.

appalachiamama
04-09-2009, 10:35 AM
I'm not a pattern person, either. I find most store-bought patterns that I have used to have wacky sizing. I'm the same way about knitting and crochet. I'd just rather do it myself if I can. I had a custom maternity dress pattern made by the ladies at the Anabaptist Bookstore and that's the best one I've ever had (not really store-bought).

Yuliana
04-09-2009, 10:36 AM
I'm not a pattern person, either. I find most store-bought patterns that I have used to have wacky sizing. I'm the same way about knitting and crochet. I'd just rather do it myself if I can. I had a custom maternity dress pattern made by the ladies at the Anabaptist Bookstore and that's the best one I've ever had (not really store-bought).

I have heard that Ottobre is not like that. I am doing my first pattern from it this week so I am excited.

appalachiamama
04-09-2009, 10:39 AM
I have heard that Ottobre is not like that. I am doing my first pattern from it this week so I am excited.

I hope it goes well! :)

Calliope
04-09-2009, 11:04 AM
Depends on the pattern company. I find the directions by anyone but Simplicity to be really bad. :/

TestifyToLove
04-09-2009, 11:18 AM
Directions? They still come with directions? Last time I used those was for a very complicated Vogue dress with embroidery, piping and hand-made lace. It was L for MIL's wedding.

Normally, I use the pattern pieces and the kids play with the directions.

Calliope
04-09-2009, 11:22 AM
:giggle I just like directions for some reason. I've learned a lot sewing techniques from the directions. :shifty

Yuliana
04-09-2009, 11:23 AM
:giggle I just like directions for some reason. I've learned a lot sewing techniques from the directions. :shifty

I NEED the directions :O

Marielle
04-09-2009, 11:39 AM
Yeah most brands you can get in brick and mortar stores save a few tend to be awful. Better brands are kwik sew, burda, ottobre and jalie. There are quite a few coops running that sell at least 3 of these and the ottobre you can subscribe to or order issue by issue. The euro patterns don't usually have an added seam allowance so you can choose how much to add.

I use painter's plastic which is thin and clear to trace patters and absolutely abhor the tissue stuff that most patterns are traced on. Thankfully kwik sew and jalie use a thicker paper.

There are also lots of up and coming euro pattern designers that do some of the funkier stuff like studio tantrum, farbenmix and portabellopixie. Some are euro inspired like Oliver + S, etc.