PDA

View Full Version : Sewing machine HELP!!!

Abibigail
04-08-2009, 02:14 PM
Ok, I have bitten off more than I can chew with this, my first sewing project. :sigh But, onward...

My machine threads through a Rube Goldbergian set of thread guides and paths. Ultimately, it threads front to back for the top thread. Well, I was threading the top thread tonight, and then I dropped the needle down to catch the bobbin thread. The excess from the top thread was going out behind the needle, but it got pulled down into the bobbin area and got tangled up with the bobbin thread.

What do I do? :shifty Do I just cut out that portion of thread? Or what?

KatieMae
04-08-2009, 03:49 PM
I would pull out the bobbin case, snip everything, and start over :yes

crunchymum
04-08-2009, 06:20 PM
yep. :)

Abibigail
04-08-2009, 06:52 PM
Ok. Can I just say... that sounds like so much work!

:hissyfit

I only just learned how to thread my machine today (can you tell?)! I've done it, like, 4 times!

I am going to be sooooo proud of this little dress when it's done.

KatieMae
04-09-2009, 03:13 AM
Okay, maybe you're missing a step if this is your first attempt - you know how the thread the needle, and get the bobbin installed too. Before you lower your needle to catch the bobbin thread, HOLD ON to the needle thread - give it some tension, and use it to pull the bobbin thread up & out of the machine, then push the threads out behind the presser foot & get started sewing. HTH :)

Yuliana
04-09-2009, 05:38 AM
:hugheart I can't wait for pics of your finished product.

Abibigail
04-09-2009, 07:21 AM
Okay, maybe you're missing a step if this is your first attempt - you know how the thread the needle, and get the bobbin installed too. Before you lower your needle to catch the bobbin thread, HOLD ON to the needle thread - give it some tension, and use it to pull the bobbin thread up & out of the machine, then push the threads out behind the presser foot & get started sewing. HTH :)

That's what it was. I wasn't holding onto the thread. I called my mom and walked through all the steps I was doing, and I cried on the phone because she said, "Well, honey, it sounds like the machine is set up great!" That made me say, "So it's just meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!"

:O I can take things a little too seriously.

But then she asked if I was holding onto the thread while I dropped the needle to catch the bobbin, and I was like... "ooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh. No. I'm not." :O

She said... "Ok... do that... and if you have some bobbin thread sticking up you can grab that, too, to make sure the loop doesn't slip right off."

So I was able to sew one seam... which I have to rip out... but whatever. At least the sewing machine is set up right!

Yuliana
04-09-2009, 07:38 AM
:rockon We have all been there :shifty

Auroras mom
04-09-2009, 07:42 AM
I feel your pain! Mastering the threading process feels like a victory won once you are finally able to do it. I thought I would always have to have my dh doit for me!

crunchymum
04-09-2009, 08:08 AM
i *still* have to rip out seams at least once every project. :hug it's a process...