PDA

View Full Version : lettuce chicken wraps - need help

Naked Camper
04-07-2009, 10:47 AM
Anyone have a good lettuce chicken wrap recipe? Like what they serve at PF Changs or they used to have one at Chili's. They contain a rice type noodle and I can't seem to find those either. Anyone know what those noodles are called and where I can find them? They're crispy noodles, but not chow mein (sp?) noodles.

schmamy
04-07-2009, 11:39 AM
I've seen a recipe online several times that is supposed to be a good imitation of PF Chang's, but it had several unfamiliar ingredients so I never printed it off to try :O I don't know anything about the rice noodles - :popcorn to see what others say :smile

Naked Camper
04-07-2009, 11:49 AM
I've see that recipe too and I'm willing to use strange ingredients :yes It's those noodles that I'm :scratch about

Naked Camper
04-07-2009, 11:52 AM
from google it looks like they're vermicelli rice noodles ... but where would i find those?

Naked Camper
04-07-2009, 12:09 PM
I love youtube :rockon
how to make crispy noodles (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0ShHFQl7QE)

lettuce wraps next week for dinner :sillygrin

schmamy
04-07-2009, 12:53 PM
oh my, what a pain! :crazy I assumed the noodles were something you bought already that texture--I had no idea it was something you'd have to soak and fry. I don't even have a wok or a deep fryer...and I never use peanut oil...and all that just for one small part of the wraps! think I will just let them be a rare treat at PF Chang's :smile

lmk how your lettuce wraps turn out, though!

Rbonmom
04-07-2009, 01:05 PM
:giggle how funny, I used to work at Chili's and then PF Chang's. I know you can get those noodles at an asian market, but I haven't seen them often at regular grocery stores. Sometime Target carries them :yes
I know the "special sauce" for dipping is made of chinese mustard, chili paste, and potsticker sauce (which is basically soy sauce, brown sugar, gn onions, and sesame oil). Ugh, just typing that I can smell it :sick The sesame oil made that stuff stick to your hands and no matter how many times I washed them, I could never get free of it :crazy2 Have fun!!!

Naked Camper
04-07-2009, 01:30 PM
:giggle thanks for the secret sauce recipe :wink I'll find a recipe online to match.

Yes, the noodles are a pain, but they're part of what makes it so yummy :yum

I do keep peanut oil in the house, so as long as I prepare for it in advance (like make the noodles when the kids are napping) it won't be too bad.

Rbonmom
04-07-2009, 01:31 PM
yeah, we sold so many wraps each shift they would make HUGE pans of the noodles in the morning, or day ahead, just to keep up.

schmamy
06-01-2009, 06:57 AM
Morgan, did you ever make lettuce wraps? I ended up printing that knockoff recipe I found months ago and making them on Saturday. WOW were they fantastic! the recipe didn't call for those rice noodles--honestly I don't remember those being in PF Chang's lettuce wraps (maybe just served alongside?)--but it was really, really close to PF Chang's. DH and I totally loved them. I felt every bit as satisfied as if I'd gone to the restaurant (except for having to do the work and cleanup myself!). :yum

TuneMyHeart
06-01-2009, 07:09 AM
can you share the recipe Amy?

Naked Camper
06-01-2009, 07:10 AM
no, i never did make them, but maybe they'll make their way onto the menu for this week :think

schmamy
06-01-2009, 08:20 AM
here's the one I used:
http://www.recipezaar.com/P-F-Changs-Chicken-Lettuce-Wraps-15865

the only ingredient I had a little trouble finding was garlic & red chile paste. our international section at the grocery store had chili paste, which was red--so I bought that and then just added a clove of minced garlic. I also did not get hot mustard--I just used Dijon. it worked just fine.

seriously, these were SO YUMMY--really, really close to the ones at PF Chang's :yes and it made a LOT of "special sauce"--so we can just keep it in a jar in the fridge and that will be one less thing to make next time :tu