PDA

View Full Version : What do you sprout and where do you get your seeds or beans?

happyhousewife
04-06-2009, 01:05 PM
I am a new sprouter. What can I start with? I would like do sprout something all of us will like. :popcorn

bananacake
04-06-2009, 01:10 PM
I sent you a PM :)

So far, I've only sprouted mung & adzuki beans.

Cat
04-06-2009, 01:17 PM
:popcorn I've been wanting to do this, too.

HuggaBuggaMommy
04-06-2009, 01:23 PM
Lentils are really easy to start sprouting, especially since you can just buy a bag at the grocery store. They are hearty and keep well.

I also have done broccoli, alfalfa, radish, clover, canola, and various others - those seeds I've bought at the natural foods store.

happyhousewife
04-06-2009, 01:35 PM
I have some lentils(i think)
Where do you buy the mung beans

jujubnme
04-06-2009, 03:17 PM
I just recently came across a link at the Wired GeekDad blog for sprouting website that looked like it has some good resources. I was intrigued by their Kid's Sprout Kit, but it looks like they also have some good information about how-to in addition to the things that they sell. The link is www.sproutpeople.com. I haven't ordered anything from them yet, so I can't testify to quality or ease of use or anything like that.

happyhousewife
04-06-2009, 05:11 PM
Thanks I am soaking my lentils now. I am excited!

sprout
04-06-2009, 07:27 PM
we use something called the salad mix and we get it at the Health Food Store.

MotherSong
04-06-2009, 07:56 PM
I got a bag called Zesty Sprouting Mix made by Now organics from Whole Foods. I think it was $5 for a one-pound bag. It includes: clover, alfalfa, fenugreek, and radish. It sprouts in a couple days and tastes good on salad.

happyhousewife
04-06-2009, 08:49 PM
I will have to check it out next time I am at the hfs

crunchyusmcluv
04-12-2009, 08:31 PM
:popcorn to find out myself

happyhousewife
04-12-2009, 08:44 PM
my lentil sprouts hsve gone CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dh had some on his sandwich.

HuggaBuggaMommy
04-12-2009, 11:26 PM

:rockon

April G
04-12-2009, 11:37 PM
So funny to see this thread... I just blogged about sprouting... :rockon (it's the organique gal blog in my siggie if you're interested :wink )

Cat
04-13-2009, 04:04 AM

:yum Can you share your method? :heart

HuggaBuggaMommy
04-13-2009, 01:38 PM

:yum Can you share your method? :heart

I do my lentil sprouts (almost all my sprouts, really) in a glass jar. With the lentils, I let them soak overnight, then I rinse twice a day. In about 3 days, they sprout (though I usually go about 5-6), and then I store them in the fridge.

happyhousewife
04-13-2009, 01:54 PM
I have my sprouts on a glass jas as well. I soaked them overnight then I would rinse them daily. I am letting my sprouts get a little greener before I stick them in the fridge. It is really amazing!

I didnt buy expensive growing trays. I just used a clean mason jar, 1/2 cup of lentils from the grocery store, some unused knee highs, and a rubber band.

ShangriLewis
04-17-2009, 12:18 PM
I order from sproutpeople. The bags are huge and they last forever. We have the easy sprouter. It fits in the dishwasher for easy cleaning. I love the French and Russian mixes they have.

AppleSauceCookies
05-27-2009, 12:07 AM
Yes, *ducks* the crazy omni is wondering what sprouting is all about. Do you grow them to make more beans (eg. growing) or do you eat the sprouts? When do you eat them? How do they taste? Is it anything like bean sprouts (cause I like those)? Is this what that jar with the mesh lid was that I saw at the HFS? Because it seems like I could do this...

AppleSauceCookies
05-27-2009, 12:20 AM
So funny to see this thread... I just blogged about sprouting... :rockon (it's the organique gal blog in my siggie if you're interested :wink )

OMGoodness! Thank you soooo much. That video was fun. It was like watching the Wiggles for adults minus the music! Haha. I am going to go to the HFS tomorrow and pick up some supplies... I can't wait!!