PDA

View Full Version : Writing and selling patterns--market research

TestifyToLove
04-06-2009, 12:55 PM
Someone has made me an offer to sell my pattern on her online store.

I would mean I have to translate my chicken scratch into formal patterns. But, I'm really intrigued by the offer. I'm thinking it might be just the challenge I need to feel like I'm doing something for *me*.

Am I crazy to think I could do this, or that I could actually enjoy this?

We've discussed that if I do this, I'd like to keep my longies pattern out there for free. And, she's fine with offering free patterns if I want some free.

I do NOT do well selling my wares well. I get too stressed. And, with 8 kids I can't predict my productivity speed so I get even more stressed and lose my joy of creating.

Am I wrong in thinking that pattern writing would be at my pace and less stressful?

I'm just way, way more excited than I thought I would be about this offer. And, the more I think about it, the more excited I get about it.

TestifyToLove
04-06-2009, 01:07 PM
Okay, meant to add more questions first but had to pee :O

Do you buy patterns?
What types of patterns would you purchase?
What would you consider a fair price for patterns?

Most of what I create right now is kids stuff. Its the nature of having 8 kids. But, I know there aren't a lot of good options out there for what I create because I ALWAYS prefer to find a pattern before I create. I've personally spent way too much $$ on patterns that didn't work and I had to take the picture and start the pattern from scratch and create my own to match the picture. And frankly I have NO idea how most of those pattern makers could claim to create what they pictured with their patterns because it often does NOT work. I know what writers work and which ones do NOT. And, honestly especially online I rarely buy unless its someone I know or they have something free I can test their writing skills on before I purchase.

ncsweetpea
04-06-2009, 01:19 PM
I have used both free and purchased patterns for knitting. I don't mind paying a little for a pattern that is good and reliable. I think it would depend on what you offered, would it be a download or a hard copy mailed out? For some reason I shy away from downloads that I have to pay for. If I'm paying, I want it to come in a hard copy with an actual picture of the finished piece.

Rabbit
04-06-2009, 01:24 PM
If I'm paying, I want it to come in a hard copy with an actual picture of the finished piece.

I don't like paying for downloads, either.

Once I find a pattern maker or a particular company or style, that really fits with my speed and skill level, I will exhaust everything I can get of theirs. I buy patterns for the skills I can actually use reliably, so that means no investing in my knitting, but yes a little bit in my sewing.

TestifyToLove
04-06-2009, 01:28 PM
This store offers the option of hard copy or downloadable.

At the moment, I have a variety of stuff I've created. Most of what I've created, for obvious reasons, relates to children's things. But, beyond that its everything from play food to toys to dolls to sweaters to hats (and hats, and hats and hats because L is never satisfied even though she never actually wears a hat more than 10 minutes she still always wants more hats) to baskets, longies/shorties, soakers, skirties, shirts, bags, etc.

Rabbit
04-06-2009, 01:31 PM
What set up costs would you be looking at? It really sounds like a good deal for you.

ncsweetpea
04-06-2009, 01:52 PM
It sounds like something fun for you to work on! Go for it!

TestifyToLove
04-06-2009, 02:05 PM
Just my time to start translating my chicken scratch. The website owner is offering a REALLY good deal afa getting set-up.

UltraMother
04-06-2009, 02:34 PM
Take a good look at patterns that you like the layout/look of, and make a similar format. Proofread and quadruple-check your stitch counts. Set a competitive price. Keep a few free so crocheters can get a feel for your patterns. Make sure you have clear pictures of any tricky shaping. Offer both charts and wordy directions. Make sure there is a stitch key for the charts. Explain and show how to work any unusual stitches.

(Yes, I am very picky about patterns and expect quality from ones that I am willing to pay for.) :shifty

Blue-EyedLady
04-06-2009, 02:47 PM
subbing as I want to start selling my patterns, too!

TTL - how did you connect with this person?

TestifyToLove
04-06-2009, 02:56 PM
Um...she's my all time favorite dye artist and I'm always send her pictues of stuff I create :bag

We've discussed my yarn addiction before, right? No need to go back over old ground.

I've actually had quite a few offers to sell my crafted wares online before but that does not fit my personality well at all. She's the first person to ever ask to sell my patterns instead.

Thing is, it *would* take work. But, I think I would enjoy it. And, a lot of it could be done one handed while I'm nursing J at least at first and so long as I'm extra careful to proofread my work.

peacefullone
04-06-2009, 03:13 PM
:blush I'm kinda shy at saying this, but I'm one that will look at something and come up with my own pattern. I have a hard time following a pattern.

joy
04-06-2009, 03:21 PM
The cool thing about selling a pattern, is that once you make it, you could still be selling it years and years from now. A good one could become a little goose laying a golden egg year after year, iykwim! I really hope you do it.

KatieMae
04-06-2009, 03:24 PM
I think it sounds great!!!

And, a lot of it could be done one handed while I'm nursing J at least at first and so long as I'm extra careful to proofread my work.

This part in particular makes me believe that this would be a far better option over trying to sell what you've made :yes

musicmama
04-06-2009, 03:44 PM
I know we talked a little about this on Friday, but my sister is writing a sewing pattern book right now (for boys stuff!), and she's lining up testers, you should definitely do that. Find testers that you'll give the pattern to for free in exchange for them giving you feedback about their finished product. Then it's easier to catch mistakes and still make sure it's easy to follow for the level of pattern.

Was the pattern easy to follow? What was hard or hard to understand? How did your finished product turn out? ...stuff like that. She's using beginning, intermediate and advanced sewers.

I'll test for you :shifty :giggle

TestifyToLove
04-06-2009, 04:23 PM
Well Sarah, I've got a kickin skirty pattern. I just hate to tie myself to ONE technique when my method is to find a lace stitch and modify it based upon my mood.

And, I SO need a copy of your sister's book when its published. There are just not enough options of decent boy stuff out there to sew.

allycat
04-06-2009, 06:10 PM
I think you should go for it. I'm considering making patterns and such as well. I like buying pdf patterns and things on etsy and other places. I enjoy making things rather than just buying something, but sometimes can't come up with the ideas for everything I like ya know. We all need help:)

joy
04-07-2009, 05:10 AM
I would test for you too!

Mama Bird
04-09-2009, 05:20 AM
I'd gladly pay a reduced price to test for you. I don't think I could do it free, because I'd still have the pattern and the product, but I'd love to test if you need me.

I would like to see a wide variety of patterns. Boy things, girl things, toys, practical things. There is something so beautiful about creating things from your own hands and seeing them on your children or in use. I like to make gifts for people. I'd enjoy seeing patterns that I could make for my 10 yo dd. And patterns that she could make, too.

Naked Camper
04-09-2009, 09:58 AM
Sara - you need to tell us when your sister is done with her book :tu

TTL - I do buy patterns if it's something that i've been looking for. It does require good pics before I would consider buying a pattern. Patterns I have bought: cute stuffed animal/toy patterns (crochet), diaper patterns, play food (crochet).