PDA

View Full Version : photography watermark poll

Joyful Mommy
04-06-2009, 12:50 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3651/3419193314_cd61b9382e_b.jpg

Yuliana
04-06-2009, 12:53 PM
The first choice can be cropped out so I think the 2nd one is a better option.

Aisling
04-06-2009, 12:53 PM
I voted the first, but after seeing your photo, I like the banner better. :yes

Atarah
04-06-2009, 01:03 PM

:yes

HummusDip
04-06-2009, 01:22 PM

Exactly, I'd do the one through the picture for legal reasons.

Serafine
04-06-2009, 01:27 PM
I would vote AT LEAST the translucent one across the bottom...although even that can (and likely WILL) be cropped out. (Sorry if I seem jaded...I have a lot of experience in this area.)

My suggestion (I would be more than happy to help you actually make this for yourself if you want) is to have a multi-placed design of some kind.

For example: I have a diagonal pattern across the entire image that has my business name and do not copy on it AND a watermark of my logo.
Another option would be to have 3 (or 4) lines of text going across the image horizontally (1 line at each of the "line of thirds" and another 1 or 2 just because)...by placing them in those locations, you insure that MOST of the time you will have it going through an important, non-croppable part).

PM me if you want any help.

domesticzookeeper
04-06-2009, 01:32 PM
Of the two, I prefer the banner :yes

Joyful Mommy
04-06-2009, 01:46 PM
I would vote AT LEAST the translucent one across the bottom...although even that can (and likely WILL) be cropped out. (Sorry if I seem jaded...I have a lot of experience in this area.)

My suggestion (I would be more than happy to help you actually make this for yourself if you want) is to have a multi-placed design of some kind.

For example: I have a diagonal pattern across the entire image that has my business name and do not copy on it AND a watermark of my logo.
Another option would be to have 3 (or 4) lines of text going across the image horizontally (1 line at each of the "line of thirds" and another 1 or 2 just because)...by placing them in those locations, you insure that MOST of the time you will have it going through an important, non-croppable part).

what if i use the watermark banner and then have "do not copy" across horizontally at other parts of the image, kind of like you mentioned? i will be working on this more tonight - i may PM you with photos/examples. thanks!

Serafine
04-06-2009, 01:59 PM

That would work well too...several photogs I know have switched to "do not copy, print, or save" instead of do not copy...b/c apparently people view printing or saving to their computer as different than copying or stealing. :rolleyes

I am guessing that your point is to make sure that you are credited if your work ends up plastered all over the internet on facebook, myspace, etc...if that is the case, then you want to make sure that either a) your watermark is so pretty that no one will want to crop it out or b) your watermark is so obnoxious that no one CAN crop it out. Personally...I went with a combination of both :giggle

PM me if you want and I will send you a link to my blog...so you can see what I am talking about!
what if i use the watermark banner and then have "do not copy" across horizontally at other parts of the image, kind of like you mentioned? i will be working on this more tonight - i may PM you with photos/examples. thanks!