PDA

View Full Version : how do I quilt this?

Rbonmom
04-06-2009, 11:41 AM
I made a quilt using a jelly roll (40 2 1/2" strips of different fabric). Basically, each of the squares I made are diagonal stripes, which fit together to form blocks that make big diamonds. Anyway, so it's basically a bunch of stripes in little squares, and I just can't think of how I should quilt it :shrug3 Should I just pick a random pattern that ignores the stripes altogether sort of like a stipple? or should I just quilt along the lines of the quilt?

Also, do you always have to quilt the borders? both of my quilts have 6 1/2" borders. If I don't quilt them, will the battling come loose and bunch up? Both of the borders have really fun pattern on the fabric, so I don't want to take away from that, but since I'm so new to all this, I didn't know if I really need those areas quilted?

Naked Camper
04-06-2009, 11:43 AM
can you take a pic so we could see it?

ncsweetpea
04-06-2009, 01:54 PM
You should check your batting to see how far apart the quilting lines should be. Some of them need to be rather close and some are a little more generous.

Are you hand quilting or machine quilting?

Rbonmom
04-06-2009, 02:07 PM
hand

ncsweetpea
04-06-2009, 03:55 PM
I like quilting in the ditch or along the seam, that way you don't have to mark it. :shrug3

keepinghome
04-20-2009, 01:44 PM
I like quilting in the ditch or along the seam, that way you don't have to mark it. :shrug3

ME TOO! I hate having to mark it...
you could quilt along the seams of the squares/strips (or maybe just down the center of the strips?) then do a design for the borders. Thats how I'm doing one I'm working on and I'm hand quilting it too.