PDA

View Full Version : Knit/crochet in a car?

TrinMama
04-04-2009, 08:49 AM
So, we're heading on a two-day car trip (ie, 9-10 hrs a day) this week...can I knit or crochet while dh drives? I'm just learning now...so call me clueless. :O

Punkie
04-04-2009, 08:50 AM
I do :grin

TrinMama
04-04-2009, 08:54 AM
awesome. so what's a good starting out project?

TestifyToLove
04-04-2009, 09:00 AM
Oh car rides are my BEST time to crochet. Kids are contained. I can chat with DH, don't have to worry about the baby needing held, don't have to take kiddos potty or do anything else. I can just let my hands be free to move as they want to move.

I just have to stop occasionally and watch out the windsheild to stave off my tendency to get carsick.

Blue-EyedLady
04-04-2009, 09:09 AM
Oh car rides are my BEST time to crochet. Kids are contained. I can chat with DH, don't have to worry about the baby needing held, don't have to take kiddos potty or do anything else. I can just let my hands be free to move as they want to move.

I just have to stop occasionally and watch out the windsheild to stave off my tendency to get carsick.

I get carsick easily. I can't read in the car - no way! But I can crochet, as long as I mostly look up and not at my hands. So if I'm working on a project where I have the pattern memorized (or am making up my own! :smile) I can do it. Also, I can only crochet on the highway, not in city traffic.

For a beginner, I would choose a pattern that's very simple and repetitive. What do you want to make?

TrinMama
04-04-2009, 09:11 AM
I don't know! Something fun and useful...eventually I want to make hats.

BeckaBlue
04-04-2009, 09:18 AM
I like doing it in the car, i pretty well never get the option though :giggle
my xh though gets all freaked out by me knitting in the car :rolleyes4

Blue-EyedLady
04-04-2009, 09:21 AM
I don't know! Something fun and useful...eventually I want to make hats.

Well, you could crochet a simple hat by working in the round, just using single crochet. If you do it in rows, you could do stripes to make it more fun.

RubySlippers
04-04-2009, 09:31 AM
I haven't crocheted while the car was moving, but it's a great idea!

HummusDip
04-04-2009, 09:50 AM
Sure! I knit in the car! I started out making scarves and now I've moved on to a blanket! Next I will attempt a hat. :)

Taedareth
04-05-2009, 08:13 PM
Yes!! The car is the best time. I recommend starting with some wash cloths in various stitches (like one in single crochet, one in HDC, one in double crochet...) so you can get comfortable with the different stitches and see what kind of fabric they make. Then make a scarf or a granny square. Then make a baby blanket or hats :yes

TrinMama
04-05-2009, 08:18 PM
what is a granny square?

The other day I was practicing single crochet and then turning stitches following a book, and got all messed up on the turning...I'm sure it didn'y help that the kids were distracting me. :lol

Taedareth
04-05-2009, 08:36 PM
A granny square is a decorative square design. You can make just one and call it a potholder, or make dozens and sew them into an afghan. :yes

TrinMama
04-05-2009, 08:43 PM
oooooh neato.

BeckaBlue
04-05-2009, 09:12 PM
or ake it in green and call it lettuce, or yellow for cheese, red for tomato :lol
my kids have supplemented they're playfood w/ crazy crochet stuff that i somehow ended up w/ thats not *really* supposed to be playfood

TrinMama
04-06-2009, 04:05 AM
or ake it in green and call it lettuce, or yellow for cheese, red for tomato :lol
my kids have supplemented they're playfood w/ crazy crochet stuff that i somehow ended up w/ thats not *really* supposed to be playfood

oh that's a great idea!!!!

KnittingHappy
04-06-2009, 12:13 PM
Yes, I knit in the car. A few weeks back we did a 4 hour trip and since it was raining and gross the whole way over, I knitted almost the entire time. I was working on a baby blanket that is extremely time-consuming so it was nice to have all that uninterrupted time to work. I tried to knit on the way home but it was snowing/sleeting and I was too uptight about possibly crashing to be able to knit.

I really hate to travel, so being able to knit in the car is so nice. I'm dreading the 14 hour trip to PA this summer because DH won't go. That means I have to do all the driving with no time to knit. I'm bummed.

ncsweetpea
04-06-2009, 01:58 PM
Car knitting is great! Here is a little hat I did in the car on a recent car trip... http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k380/roguesmommy/th_IMG_0628.jpg (http://s325.photobucket.com/albums/k380/roguesmommy/?action=view&current=IMG_0628.jpg)

Finished it completely in less than 8 hours. Just remember to secure your stitching when you get out for a leg stretch! Don't ask me how I know about this...

TrinMama
04-06-2009, 04:22 PM
Car knitting is great! Here is a little hat I did in the car on a recent car trip... http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k380/roguesmommy/th_IMG_0628.jpg (http://s325.photobucket.com/albums/k380/roguesmommy/?action=view&current=IMG_0628.jpg)

Finished it completely in less than 8 hours. Just remember to secure your stitching when you get out for a leg stretch! Don't ask me how I know about this...

cute hat!

mwwr
04-06-2009, 04:57 PM
Depends on which car. I get carsick in dh's car, but the van is big enough to have less motion. And it has to be a simple pattern that I don't have to look at too much. :cool