PDA

View Full Version : Questions about beef

ncsweetpea
04-02-2009, 01:45 PM
We got a 1/4 beef yesterday. And I'm a little overwhelmed! But my freezer is well stocked!

I have some cuts I don't usually buy and need some help using. What do I do with cube steak? What roast cuts might work well in my Foreman rotisserie?

Thanks!

Naked Camper
04-07-2009, 11:53 AM
cube steak - chicken fried steak. you'll need to tenderize it with a meat tenderizer if it's not already done :wink

ncsweetpea
04-07-2009, 12:08 PM
I'll have to check out a gluten free recipe for Chicken fried steak.

MudPies
04-07-2009, 12:10 PM
or pan sear it and cover with your favorite gravy. simmer in the gravy as long as you can.

Naked Camper
04-07-2009, 12:15 PM
hmm :think didn't know you were GF.

Rice flour does brown well though :yes - so that's an option.

But I love the idea of pan searing with gravy :yum

Proverbs31
04-07-2009, 12:16 PM
ooh, the following is my favorite yummy, easy thing to do with cube steak! It can stretch the meat quite far, too.

Put cube steak(s) in crockpot. Pour in Seeds of Change Jalfrezi sauce ( http://seeds ofchangefoods.com/our_foods/product.aspx?c=simmer_sauces&p=273 ). Cook on low until meat falls apart when poked with wooden spoon.

Shortly before you want to eat, steam or saute cauliflower and bell pepper pieces. Peas are another nice addition. Stir into meat/sauce. Serve with flatbread (yummier) or over rice (healthier).

Do not cook veggies in crockpot, or sauce will get too watery! :blush

If cooking more than 1 steak or for more than 2-3 people, you will want 2 or more jars of sauce. I often do 1 steak, 2 jars sauce, 2-3 bags of veggies. Last night I used 3 jars sauce, leftover chicken, 2 bags cauliflower, 2 bags broccoli, 1 bag pepper strips (it made a BIG batch!). It was certainly enjoyed, but is best with cube steak (not chicken) and fresh (not frozen) veggies. But eh, it's the end of winter, and the chicken needed to get used up...

ETA: and this is dairy-free, for all of us with dairy-allergic kids! :yum

ncsweetpea
04-07-2009, 04:49 PM
hmm :think didn't know you were GF.

Rice flour does brown well though :yes - so that's an option.

But I love the idea of pan searing with gravy :yum

I found a chicken fried steak recipe that is gluten free and gets good reviews! I'll have to try it, thanks!