PDA

View Full Version : Dinner a 2yo can cook?? Any ideas?

Naxi
03-31-2009, 05:02 PM
I am after ideas for healthy (well, you know!) dinners that don't need much knife work.

My 2yo LOVES to help me cook, but he is a little too little to chop veges ;) We do lots of baking because he loves the measuring and stirring, but it would be really good if we could do some more dinner stuff together.

Any ideas?

Aisling
03-31-2009, 05:04 PM
Grilled sandwiches of every kind...2yos are good at assembling sandwiches. :)

SingingPraise
03-31-2009, 05:17 PM
My son Roman (the sensory boy)'s favorite cooking tasks was smooshing meat for meatloaf lol. Wash hands, smoosh, wash hands lol

AmyDoll
03-31-2009, 05:46 PM
Cutting out biscuits, rolling crescent rolls, tearing lettuce, setting the table,

TuneMyHeart
03-31-2009, 05:48 PM
Ellie loves making pizza.

ShangriLewis
03-31-2009, 05:59 PM
Speaking of crescent rolls. You can roll up hot dogs inside of them.

7 Layer dip might be fun.

Naxi
03-31-2009, 08:24 PM
Ha, ha, Barb! Roman could be Horry's twin by the sound of it. He squished up the rissoles the other night for me. (Washing hands being the best bit - nothing like a bit of legitimite water play.)

Pardon my ignorance, ladies, but what are "crescent rolls"?

AmyDoll
04-01-2009, 11:24 AM
Are you not in the US? They are Pillsbury rolls in the refrigerated aisle.

jenny_islander
04-01-2009, 11:30 AM
Refrigerated croissant dough sold in cardboard tubes with metal ends.

When Sophia was tall enough to get the spoon into the slow cooker, I would chop the ingredients and she would carefully dump them in and stir. She would also put empty cans into the trash and ingredients back into the fridge.

ronioli
04-01-2009, 11:35 AM
I second pizza and salad!

Dd also likes to help me measure rice. In fact, that's how she learned to add: "Two cups of rice. Two plus two. Four cups of water. Three cups of rice. Three plus three. Six cups of water."

I sometimes let her measure things that I don't usually measure, like I tell her to put 8 cups of water into the pan then measure 3 cups of pasta to pour in later. Or ask her to help me get ingredients out of the refrigerator. She also likes to wash things like veggies, fruit, or beans. I don't remember when I started to let her do this, but I let her chop things like cilantro or parsley with a plastic knife under by supervision.

Naxi
04-01-2009, 03:30 PM
Thank you! Loving the ideas.

I thought I should add - in case anyone else is after ideas, that he does love making pizza dough (or bread if I am organised). If he kneads it, he even eats the pizza crusts, and not just the toppings!

No - I am in Australia. But I once lived in Canada and had a crush on the Pilsbury Dough Man :blush Now I remember those croissant rolls, but we don't have them here. I might have to see if I can think of something. (BTW I think they would be YUMMO with sausages baked inside them!)

Natalie