PDA

View Full Version : am I the only weirdo with this fabric obsession?

Rbonmom
03-12-2009, 10:52 PM
I've always loved looking at fabric and the beautiful patterns, but since I started quilting I've become totally obsessed :O I can spend hours online looking at fabric swatches and daydreaming about how they would look in a quilt. There is an amazing quilt store in town and it is just so exciting to go in there an browse through their selection. I want so many of them, but it's just so relaxing and intoxicating to look at the beautiful fabrics. Anyone else like this? I feel like such a weirdo and it's just been all of the sudden :shifty

expatmom
03-12-2009, 10:55 PM
If you saw how many different fabrics I have in my stash at home... :bag I have a hard time leaving fabric stores empty handed.

mummy2boys
03-12-2009, 11:03 PM
You are not weird....nor are you alone :hiding

I have a hard time leaving fabric stores empty handed.

:bag :whistle

MrsC_Aussie
03-13-2009, 02:30 AM
lol I dont have a quilting stash, but I have a dressmaking stash! I am definitely a fabric addict as well!
as the saying goes "She who dies with the most fabric wins"

Iarwain
03-13-2009, 09:04 AM
I have an enormous fabric stash. I don't quilt so I have a wide variety of types of fabrics. I don't much care for looking at them online though. I'm very tactile so I need to go into the store and see and feel the different fabrics. I'm even worse with yarn/fiber...

Maggie
03-13-2009, 09:16 AM
I looove looking at patterns and fabrics, too, but I don't know how to sew at all (though I would like to and plan to), so don't really do it much.

And you/we may be weird ;) ;) but you're definitely not alone! :lol :heart

Mama Rophe
03-13-2009, 09:20 AM
I have an enormous fabric stash. I don't quilt so I have a wide variety of types of fabrics. I don't much care for looking at them online though. I'm very tactile so I need to go into the store and see and feel the different fabrics. I'm even worse with yarn/fiber...

:yes That is me too! I love to touch and feel every fabric in the store. The kids have learned from me. :shifty

righteous mama
03-13-2009, 09:23 AM
I could probably open my own store. Between my own stash, my mom giving me part of hers (so she'd have more room to add new things to hers), and a lady at church who died and gave me all of hers...I'm stocked for life. Still, I have compulsions to purchase more. I will even go clothes shopping and say, "Oh, this is beautiful fabric! I hate the item, but love the fabric!"

Calliope
03-13-2009, 11:14 AM
I went through a spate once where I was buying fabric just because I liked it. :shifty I had to stop because I was running out of room to store it.

RosalieMarie
03-13-2009, 11:16 AM
Fabric, no. Yarn? :bag :shifty

Auroras mom
03-13-2009, 11:41 AM
Total fabric junkie here. I collected it for years even before I learned to sew.

bellaluna778
03-13-2009, 12:11 PM
I'm not this way with fabric....yarn is a whole other story though. I wont admit how much yarn I have because it's so much that it's almost embarassing. :bag

Oliveshoots
03-13-2009, 04:34 PM
:raise

AND i obsess with the way I fold and stack my fabric on the new shelving dh got me. It all has to be folded to the same size, and really neat looking on the outside, and i have it grouped in like colors: primaries, pastels, neutrals, juvenile, christmas. :shifty

BeckaBlue
03-13-2009, 04:50 PM
mostly yarn. I'm actually gonna be getting rid of most of my fabric since i dont use it

MamaPepper
03-13-2009, 04:58 PM
You're not a werido. . . I'd be quite embarrassed to show anyone my stash of fabric. . . I'm a fabricaholic. . . SERIOUSLY :yes

Starfox
03-13-2009, 08:29 PM
:raise

AND i obsess with the way I fold and stack my fabric on the new shelving dh got me. It all has to be folded to the same size, and really neat looking on the outside, and i have it grouped in like colors: primaries, pastels, neutrals, juvenile, christmas. :shifty

My name is Suzi, and I'm addicted to fabric!

I'm actually on the self-imposed wagon now... :giggle I can't even step one foot in Joann's without buying something, and don't EVEN get me started on fabric co-ops! :blush

I have enough fabric to last me years... but I keep finding more I like! And of course everything is limited edition so if I don't get it now, I may miss out forever! :giggle

kklibrarian
03-16-2009, 08:53 AM
I have many sterilite bins of fabric. Some I've bought. Some was given to me. All of it is taking up a ridiculous amount of space in my house. Yet I keep buying more. I can't help it. I love fabric. It's the one thing I actually enjoy shopping for, and in general I hate shopping.

Blessings,
Kelly

UltraMother
03-16-2009, 02:42 PM
I have been obsessed with fabric and color ever since I was a child. I loved to look thru each different color of thread, and all the different fabrics, just wander the aisles. I really miss BIG fabric stores. :(

crunchymum
03-16-2009, 04:35 PM
I went through a spate once where I was buying fabric just because I liked it. :shifty I had to stop because I was running out of room to store it.

:shifty

ncsweetpea
03-16-2009, 04:57 PM
I love it too...but am imposing a rule--no new fabric purchases unless there is a specific purpose in mind and in the near future to use it! I don't have a huge stash because I have kept to this rule. :) Glad to know I am not alone though!!!

Rbonmom
03-16-2009, 08:10 PM
I've been good so far and won't let myself purchase unless I have a specific project in mind, and it's good because with quilting you pretty much want to keep it to 100% cotton, so that narrows it down a bit, but still, this could get crazy :P~ Glad to know I'm in such good company ;)

Auroras mom
03-17-2009, 04:47 PM
I have always been a total fabric nut, and am finally learning to sew! I have to stop buying it, but it is so pretty.

musicmama
03-18-2009, 07:43 AM
we're moving and I had to face my fabric obsession. I have *9* boxes of fabric (which include those huge rubbermaid bins), 3 huge garbage bags full of sweaters for recycled longies and I got rid of3 huge bags of fabric I wouldn't use (mostly yucky feeling polyesters I got from freecycle). My plan is to sew through 75% of what I have before I buy more (the exception is my bamboo fabrics which I have to buy more of for diapers I sell. I just sold 6 fattycakes and 6 bamboo prefolds with doublers so that put a huge chunk into my bamboo stash!).

Just with the flannel I had on hand and the receiving blankets I had on hand I made 134 6x6 wipes! :blush

Rbonmom
03-18-2009, 07:46 PM
:P~ I think this is a disease :shifty

crunchymum
03-18-2009, 07:48 PM
we're moving and I had to face my fabric obsession. I have *9* boxes of fabric (which include those huge rubbermaid bins), 3 huge garbage bags full of sweaters for recycled longies and I got rid of3 huge bags of fabric I wouldn't use (mostly yucky feeling polyesters I got from freecycle). My plan is to sew through 75% of what I have before I buy more (the exception is my bamboo fabrics which I have to buy more of for diapers I sell. I just sold 6 fattycakes and 6 bamboo prefolds with doublers so that put a huge chunk into my bamboo stash!).

Just with the flannel I had on hand and the receiving blankets I had on hand I made 134 6x6 wipes! :blush

or you could donate some fabric... :shifty :giggle

Calliope
03-19-2009, 10:07 AM
Eeek! I just bought 7 yards of black microfiber just because it felt luscious and only cost $3 a yard. :shifty

crunchymum
03-19-2009, 12:38 PM
:giggle it happens to the best of us, grace... :hug2

Iarwain
03-19-2009, 01:07 PM
:giggle it happens to the best of us, grace... :hug2

Indeed. I have to be very cautious of the $1 and $2 a yard racks at Wal-Mart. Every now and then they have something really cool and that can get me in trouble really fast. Either I buy something I don't need or I walk away pining because I can't afford to. Neither is good.

crunchymum
03-19-2009, 07:45 PM
i'm coming here to say i most certainly did not just buy 4 yards of yummy fabric tonight. :shifty nope, not me.

KnittingHappy
03-20-2009, 05:17 PM
Yep, I'm wonder about myself sometimes, but mine is yarn! I have a huge Rubbermaid tote jammed full of yarn. My problem is that I get 40% off coupons from the craft store and me and the kids all take one and I get 4 things of yarn. I've been really good about only buying for specific projects but if we really do move overseas, I'm going to stock up. I don't know what the availibity of yarn will be over there. I will not survive without yarn!!!!!

I love going to the craft stores and just touching the yarns. There are so many textures and materials. It's yummy.

musicmama
03-20-2009, 08:16 PM
uh, I found 2 more empty big rubbermaid totes and now they're full, too. I thought I was DONE :blush :blush

Auroras mom
03-21-2009, 09:06 AM
:P~ I think this is a disease :shifty

Yeah - I just got fabric last week and bought mroe eysterday! I can't resist. I need to stop looking.