PDA

View Full Version : How hard can it be to make this dress?

Yuliana
03-11-2009, 10:54 AM
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=19359358

If I am wrong let me know but to me it looks like a rectangular fabric with the elastic all scrunched up at the top and then the ribbon to give it form :shrug

I would love to make one for myself.

Aisling
03-11-2009, 10:57 AM
Looks pretty easy peasy to me. :think

I think the fabric chosen could make or break it.

Mother of Sons
03-11-2009, 11:00 AM
That's so cute! I wish I could wear sleeveless. I like the shirt she put it with but I don't know if I could pull that off. I think it looks easy enough and yeah, depends on the fabric. Not sure if it's a rectangle or not though, might be a trapezoid.

Yuliana
03-11-2009, 11:19 AM
:think

CapeTownMommy
03-11-2009, 11:20 AM
It looks easy! I would use some more of the ribbon to make straps, I don't like sleeveless.

mamahammer
03-11-2009, 11:26 AM
I'd go with a trapezoid and, yes, it looks pretty easy :rockon And very cute :heart

WanderingJuniper
03-11-2009, 11:27 AM
My guess is trapezoidal to give it more swing than a rectangular dress. It sure is cute. :yes

appalachiamama
03-11-2009, 11:49 AM
Looks pretty simple to me. Seems like a tube that holds the elastic (which you'd adjust to your size) and an approximate A-line shape. If you make it, you have to post pictures! :)

Naked Camper
03-11-2009, 11:51 AM
:yes we'll need to see pics! :popcorn

Naked Camper
03-11-2009, 11:51 AM
yasmel - was it you that was going to make a infinity dress out of muslin? Did you make it yet?

JoyGal
03-11-2009, 11:56 AM
Oh that is so cute! Off to see if I have enough fabric to make one now...

Yuliana
03-11-2009, 11:57 AM
yasmel - was it you that was going to make a infinity dress out of muslin? Did you make it yet?

I don't think it was me, I don't even know what an infinity dress is :giggle

Yuliana
03-11-2009, 11:57 AM
Oh that is so cute! Off to see if I have enough fabric to make one now...

Go do it and bring pics with instructions :giggle

Naked Camper
03-11-2009, 12:32 PM

:think hmmm...wonder who it was then. It's in the 30 day challenge thread. google infinity dress. cool dress idea :tu

Yuliana
03-11-2009, 12:34 PM

:think hmmm...wonder who it was then. It's in the 30 day challenge thread. google infinity dress. cool dress idea :tu

Off to google. I can't wear to many dresses because of bf :lol

Auroras mom
03-11-2009, 01:23 PM
It looks like it has shirring at the top and on the back, rather than elastic thorugh a channel. Also, the banded hem at the bottom is cute and not too difficult!

I like that dress a lot:)

Yuliana
03-11-2009, 01:26 PM
It looks like it has shirring at the top and on the back, rather than elastic thorugh a channel. Also, the banded hem at the bottom is cute and not too difficult!

I like that dress a lot:)

How do I do that?

Yuliana
03-11-2009, 01:51 PM
Also, what would I need on top something to hold my dress up?
I was thinking that a thick elastic covered with some facric on the inside might do the trick.

Marielle
03-11-2009, 08:24 PM
shirring - you use elastic thread in the bobbin. You'll need to handwind the bobbin (meaning you hold the elastic thread in your fingertips to feed it to the bobbin as it winds) and you might have to fiddle with your machine tension to allow for the elastic thread. Then sew lines (looks like she did two rows) the width of the fabric keeping the fabric stretched out as you go.

That is super cute and I agree with MOS that it looks a-linish so wider at the bottom and slightly tapered at the top.

eta: Morgan I was doing the infinity dress. And it worked out fabulously, unfortunately I have nursing chest and a momma pooch so let's just say the only thing fabulous was the dress, not me in it. :O I called it a muslin (practice) but I made it out of some cute matte jersey I had in my stash that will now become underwear. LOL

another eta: Just looked at it closer and it doesn't look like she did shirring. More like a casing at the top and then a thicker 1" elastic put through so you could try that option too.

Yuliana
03-12-2009, 03:59 AM
another eta: Just looked at it closer and it doesn't look like she did shirring. More like a casing at the top and then a thicker 1" elastic put through so you could try that option too.

I think I feel more comfortable doing that.

peacefullone
03-12-2009, 05:05 AM
:popcorn

Yuliana
03-12-2009, 06:02 AM

Now thinking about it more. I would need to sew the elastic to the fabric to make the dress look like it had shirring right?

peacefullone
03-12-2009, 06:05 AM
I think it might be some kind of A frame. and I think that the elastic might have been sewed at one end to the fabric and covered over. not sewn down the whole waise to the other side. just natural gathering but that's what I think

Marielle
03-12-2009, 06:09 AM

Now thinking about it more. I would need to sew the elastic to the fabric to make the dress look like it had shirring right?

Nah, just sew one line of stitching, then another line at least 1/4-1/2" higher than the height of the elastic but leave about 2 inches unsewn. Then thread the elastic in the opening , stitch the elastic together, then stitch the casing (dress part) closed.

Anani
03-12-2009, 06:15 AM
I have *no* sewing skills whatsoever, but wanted to throw in that I absolutely LOVE this dress! :heart

Yuliana
03-12-2009, 06:17 AM

Nah, just sew one line of stitching, then another line at least 1/4-1/2" higher than the height of the elastic but leave about 2 inches unsewn. Then thread the elastic in the opening , stitch the elastic together, then stitch the casing (dress part) closed.

But wouldn't that cause the natural gathering to be off and I will always have to be fixing it so I don't get diff. size gatherings? :O

Yuliana
03-12-2009, 06:29 AM
Ok, in a month or two I will be taking a real sewing class and a class to learn how to make patterns so bare with me until them :shifty

If I brought my body measurements would someone here be able to tell me roughly how much fabric I would need and how big to make the trapezoid? :O

Marielle
03-12-2009, 06:31 AM
LOL - I'm sorry. I tend to do things on auto so I don't even think about it when I type. When I did casings I would tack down the elastic by topstitching on each side seam on the waistband in order to stop the elastic from shifting and rolling in the casing and also to prevent the problem you just mentioned.

eta: If you look at her third pic of the back of the dress she had that issue herself. ;) As far as measurements you probably would have better luck just doing it little by little for yourself. Just find a skirt that you like the fullness and measure the width of the bottom hem. Most wovens are 44" wide so you could probably bee able to buy as much yardage as you want the dress to be longx2. That way you're not limited on the width of the hem.

You can start by adding about 4" to your bust measurement or drape the fabric on you to see how much gathering you'd like. Then draw that on the fabric, decide how long you want the dress, then draw the hem line (curving it a bit) and taper up from the hem line to the bust line. Errr, on the larger side until you see how it fits. Might not hurt to hit up walmart's $2 fabric table to try it on the cheap until you get the right measurements for you. Really it sounds a lot more complicated than it is.

Yuliana
03-12-2009, 06:42 AM
LOL - I'm sorry. I tend to do things on auto so I don't even think about it when I type. When I did casings I would tack down the elastic by topstitching on each side seam on the waistband in order to stop the elastic from shifting and rolling in the casing and also to prevent the problem you just mentioned.

Ah ok, that makes sense. Good. I most probably will be buying fabric this weekend and let see when I get the guts to try :nails

How much fabric do you think I would need?