PDA

View Full Version : What happened to my banana bread

Lilac
03-09-2009, 08:11 AM
I made banana bread for the first time yesterday. I got the recipe from a friend. I had hers and it was amazing!
It calls for 1/2 c. shortening, 1 c. sugar, 2 eggs, 1 tsp baking soda, 2 c. flour, 6 mashed bananas and 1/2 c. walnuts. I baked it for 1 hour at 350º as instructed, but when I took it out and cut through it 15 minutes later, the middle was not cooked.

I used a glass dish; could this be why? Did it just need an extra 15-30 minutes because of that?
It was also high up in the over - should I have lowered the rack?
I also wonder if it had something to do with the bananas themselves. Three had been frozen, and 3 were fresh. Would that make a difference in baking?

cobluegirl
03-09-2009, 08:55 AM
I think it probably just needed to cook longer... sometimes mine takes longer... the pan can make a difference.

CakeLady
03-09-2009, 10:08 AM
Yep, it probably just needed to cook longer. I never trust the times for baking things...I start checking 5 minutes before it's supposed to be done and go from there.

cobluegirl
03-09-2009, 10:09 AM
you can test it with a tooth pic or a knife..if it comes out dirty..it needs to cook longer.. if it comes out clean it is done..

happyfamily
03-10-2009, 09:37 AM
I have found that sometimes the recipe makes just a little too much batter for the bread pan. I just leave a little out b/c it ends up getting too done on the outside and not done enough in the middle...maybe that would work too :)

musicmama
03-21-2009, 08:54 AM
This seems like it will not make a difference but I promise it does! Before you bake it, take a butter knife and cut down the middle of the RAW batter about a half an inch to an inch. I usually start about an inch or two from the ends. Just the middle part of the middle :giggle

Once I started doing that, I stopped getting raw middles in my quick breads :)

ShangriLewis
03-23-2009, 01:20 PM
Are you sure it's 6 bananas for one loaf? That's a lot.

TuneMyHeart
03-23-2009, 01:27 PM
Are you sure it's 6 bananas for one loaf? That's a lot.

That's what I was thinking. My recipe doubled is only 4 bananas (makes 3 large loaves).

Lilac
04-20-2009, 07:55 PM
I used a glass pan - would that make a difference?