PDA

View Full Version : Planting the perimeter of your yard?

Forgiven
03-06-2009, 08:45 AM
Are their any rules against planting the perimeter of your yard?

We don't have some grass growing in some spots around the yard near the fence so I was wondering if I could plant garden there. I was cleaning up leaves that had collected around the fence row and their was no grass growing in some areas under the leaves---so it triggered a thought about planting garden there. Or at least planting some really big sunflowers along the fence that runs between our house and the rental house. :shifty

The fence is ours on one side and all across the back. On the side with the renters from the start to 3 posts are the renters the rest is ours. It is a chain link fence and we are the only ones who clean out the fence rows. It is very frustrating. The renters never trim anything on their side and the the property manager comes by when it is time to rent it out again and gets on to me for them not being clean. We trim everything on our side but I don't/can't jump the fence and trim on their side too. (sorry about the rant)

Any way is this okay? I thought about just putting down rail road ties a certain distance from the fence around the back of the yard and planting garden from the fence to the ties. I thought the ties might help my little ones see not to cross into the garden. I thought it might be a good way to use some of the yard with out taking up a big patch of the yard.

I'm new to gardening---help me please.

Hermana Linda
03-09-2009, 09:55 PM
I never heard of such a rule. Unless it's against the rules of where you live. It sounds like a good idea to me. :)

jrsmama
03-15-2009, 10:24 PM
Our garden is around the perimeter of our yard since the yard is so small. This year, I'm going to adapt the square foot gardening approach but doing 2X4 areas instead of 4X4. I'm putting taller plants and trellising plants at the back and smaller low growing plants in front.