PDA

View Full Version : My Klean Kanteen stinks!

Court
03-05-2009, 12:25 PM
Does anyone have expereince with Klean Kanteens? My son's sippy cup, which is almost always only filled with water, has begun smelling lately. I have scrubbed it as much as I can, taking it apart and scrubbed it more, washed it with biokleen and vinger and it is still maintaing a rotten mildewy smell.

bostonsmama
03-05-2009, 12:29 PM
:think We have lots of KK's and I haven't noticed a smell in any of them.... Have you tried soaking it in baking soda water? Do you run it through the dishwasher? They are dishwasher safe :yes Is the smell in the sippy or the actual kanteen? I had one person ask me how to get mildew out of one once...(which I had never seen, either :shrug) I wonder if it actually *had* mildew in it at one point? I'd call KK if you've exhuasted all other options of getting the smell out. They'd probably send you a new one...

Oliveshoots
03-05-2009, 08:14 PM
Can you boil those? I used to boil sippies when we used them all the time with milk and juices. Now we use them rarely, and only for water.

I'm convinced that most water supplies (well or municipal) have funk in them, like types of mildew and algae. We get pink film around our faucets and in our spray thingies from the algae in our city water (despite the strong chlorine smell we often get with it) :/. Maybe there is something in your water that after a while is growing something? Does the sippy ever have a chance to dry out between uses? I would maybe figure out a way to dry it after washing it each day....either in the dishwasher (heated dry) or in a 200degree oven. :shrug Like, not just wiping it inside drying, but drying all the nooks and crannies using heat or air. :think

brandi
03-06-2009, 06:31 AM
I would try to soak it in vinegar overnight.

scottishthistle
03-06-2009, 06:33 AM
Denture cleaner tablets :yes

tempus vernum
03-06-2009, 06:37 AM
:think We have lots of KK's and I haven't noticed a smell in any of them.... Have you tried soaking it in baking soda water? Do you run it through the dishwasher? They are dishwasher safe :yes Is the smell in the sippy or the actual kanteen? I had one person ask me how to get mildew out of one once...(which I had never seen, either :shrug) I wonder if it actually *had* mildew in it at one point? I'd call KK if you've exhuasted all other options of getting the smell out. They'd probably send you a new one...

WHich part of the KK isn't dw safe -- the tops right? Because I remember reading no dishwasher but I can't remember on what part so I wash them all by hand ????

bostonsmama
03-06-2009, 11:15 AM
Jodi, I didn't know there was a part that was non-dw safe! :nails I've put ours in daily for a long time now (before my last KK purchase) and we've never had anything 'bad' happen :think The caps are just plastic, so ? I'll go check the KK site :think

bostonsmama
03-06-2009, 11:17 AM
Klean Kanteens are dishwasher safe and are also easy to clean with a bottle brush and mild soap. We also recommend an old fashioned cleaner: white vinegar and baking soda.

Caps should not be washed in the dishwasher because water can squeeze into the cap.

(from KK FAQ's)

Apparently water can squeeze into the caps, lol. I put ours on the top rack, I haven't noticed water squeezing into them, but I don't think it would hurt them, just be sure to shake it first :giggle

tempus vernum
03-06-2009, 11:21 AM
Klean Kanteens are dishwasher safe and are also easy to clean with a bottle brush and mild soap. We also recommend an old fashioned cleaner: white vinegar and baking soda.

Caps should not be washed in the dishwasher because water can squeeze into the cap.

(from KK FAQ's)

Apparently water can squeeze into the caps, lol. I put ours on the top rack, I haven't noticed water squeezing into them, but I don't think it would hurt them, just be sure to shake it first :giggle

:idea I bet it's the stainless loop and stainless flat. . . they are not hollow on the bottom but flat and hollow inside and if water got between the plastic and steel it would mold. . . you couldn't just "shake it out" KWIM?

bostonsmama
03-06-2009, 11:27 AM
:haha Oh yes, there are other options than the sports cap! :doh I bet you're right :yes I don't use anything but our sports caps :doh

You're so smart, J :cheer

tempus vernum
03-06-2009, 11:28 AM
:haha Oh yes, there are other options than the sports cap! :doh I bet you're right :yes I don't use anything but our sports caps :doh

You're so smart, J :cheer

*snicker* we use stainless loops and sport caps.

FaithHopeLove
03-11-2009, 12:34 AM
Did you find a solution? We also wash ours in the dishwasher regularly and no problem.

JavaMama
03-11-2009, 04:38 AM
Do you mean the kanteen itself or the cap? I wonder about putting baking soda in and pouring in some vinegar to get that bubbly reaction... put a cap on it and shake periodically while letting soak all day.

Hope you find something that works!

Court
03-11-2009, 02:14 PM
Okay, so I tried soaking it in vinegar overnight and that didn't work. I am trying the dishwasher next! I was also under the impression it couldn't go in.

Blueberrybabies
03-11-2009, 02:45 PM
:idea I bet it's the stainless loop and stainless flat. . . they are not hollow on the bottom but flat and hollow inside and if water got between the plastic and steel it would mold. . . you couldn't just "shake it out" KWIM?

Yeah, this happen to my loop cap. We use all sport caps now.

Is the smell in the bottle itself, or is it the lid/valve assembly? The valves of ours would get pretty gross. I think I scrubbed with baking soda and soaked in vinegar and it did help some.