PDA

View Full Version : Spring Home Blessing Challenge idea thread

Heather R
03-04-2009, 04:59 PM
Ok, Ladies. It sounds like there is interest in doing a Spring Home Blessing Challenge. I have offered to coordinate the challenges, and Arelyn will be tallying the points and keeping track of the leaders... I have never done anything like this before, so please be patient with me as I give it a whirl.

In order to make sure your priority items are part of the challenge, please add any ideas you have to this thread. I'll do my best to incorporate them into the challenge.

One change I would like to make compared to the HHBC would be to post the whole weeks' challenges on Sunday night, rather than daily. I'm thinking this might work better for people who have some days that are busier than others and would like to plan their housework around their life ahead of time. Also, this way, if you have a routine for the basics that's working for you, you don't feel like you have to change it to "fit" the challenge.

Does that make sense? Do you guys like the idea? If the majority likes it the old way better, we can do it that way...

Heather

monkeylicious
03-04-2009, 05:03 PM
i like the posting the weeks challenges together :yes

names :think

DoulaClara
03-04-2009, 05:04 PM
:rockon

RiverRock
03-04-2009, 05:57 PM
The weeks' challenges at one time sounds great to me. Themes or zones work well for me, such as a room top to bottom or all of the inside windows, screens, casements and window mouldings is the house. :tomato I guess there's no hiding the fact that I'm a Cleanie. Maybe a mix from week to week would be good to keep things fresh and interesting. :shrug I'm just throwing ideas out there, because now that I think about it, making new routines is also good. Heather, you have your work cut out for you. :giggle I'm good with anything, I'm just adding to the brainstorming of ideas.

Another thought, for those mamas that have small homes, could we try to level the playing field by giving "x" amount of points for completing a task instead of per item (ie 25 pts. for all toilets scrubbed instead of 10 pts. per toilet)?

Heather R
03-04-2009, 06:32 PM
Another thought, for those mamas that have small homes, could we try to level the playing field by giving "x" amount of points for completing a task instead of per item (ie 25 pts. for all toilets scrubbed instead of 10 pts. per toilet)?

Hmmm... I see what you're saying. But I know for me, for instance, I have 4 bathrooms. Would that mean that if I only cleaned 3 out of 4, I'd get 0 points? That would be a big discouragement for me... :scratch I don't know the best way to do this...

Oh, that reminds me, I do think there should be some recognition of the mamas who have worked hard to already put their routines in place, keep their homes decluttered, etc, and may not have as much built up mess to overcome... For example, if your laundry room is already spotless, and we're doing a laundry room challenge, IMO, as long as you go and make sure it is "just so", you should get the points...

Heather

WI Mama05
03-04-2009, 07:06 PM
I really need to do something like this, but we won't be around until the 23rd after this week :O Vacation and time at grandmas!

I really need to work on my areas that were decluttered last year. Closets, under the bathroom and kitchen sinks, cupboards and drawers.....

My basement/storage area is a DISASTER. My washer and dryer need to be wiped down and the dryer vaccummed out. The freezer defrosted.....my pantry and snack cabinets purged and restocked......walls washed down and paint touched up........fridge and freezer cleaned out......clothes purged and donated......toys purged and injured ones sent to their final resting place......snow clothes washed and packed up (though we can't do that for another couple months here)....items intended to go bye-bye listed or donated....

is that enough for now? :giggle

KatieMae
03-05-2009, 06:26 AM
I like the weekly posting too :tu

Suggestions
* Winter clothes decluttering - anything you haven't worn this winter should be gone. Obviously you don't like it or it doesn't fit, so get it out of your closet
* Since I know many of us are experts at putting ourselves last, I want to suggest an "Upgrade Day" where you think of things you can realistically afford to upgrade (thru new or used purchases, or things you can do w/ your crafty skills) to make your home a little bit nicer, a little prettier, or a little more organized. Such as, new towels, sewing a new set of curtains or a slipcover, putting a painting or framed print on your bare walls, repainting a room, or if you have a display case (like a china cabinet) pack away or declutter the things you no longer love & put things you DO love where you can see them.
* Books, decluttering & organizing
* Decluttering outgrown toys or switching toys from your stash in storage

... more to come but I need to make a grocery list now :D

knitlove
03-05-2009, 07:33 AM
I love the idea of the challenges being weekly.

suggestion - what about actually getting the stuff to donate out the door. :bag I have a pile of stuff to take to good will that has been there for 3 months, I decluttered it and now it is sitting in a pile in the middle of a rarely used room

KatieMae
03-05-2009, 07:58 AM
suggestion - what about actually getting the stuff to donate out the door. :bag I have a pile of stuff to take to good will that has been there for 3 months, I decluttered it and now it is sitting in a pile in the middle of a rarely used room

:giggle If you call a St. Vincent de Paul store, they'll come pick it up! :rockon

arelyn
03-05-2009, 08:16 AM
I love the idea of the challenges being weekly.

Yeah, I still have a bag of clothes from HHBC on the enclosed porch. I took them to the CORC store (local variety of Salvation Army) and thye weren't accepting donations at that time. I should check back.

I liked the surprise of the daily challenges but I'll deal if everyone prefers getting them weekly.

I don't mind losing on account of my small house. I'd prefer getting points per window than x points for doing them all.

RiverRock
03-05-2009, 09:02 AM
I don't mind losing on account of my small house. I'd prefer getting points per window than x points for doing them all.

Honestly, I like to add up as many points as possible, too. My earlier suggestion might just prove too tricky. Points per item would definately be easier to assign and tally. :tu

As far as specific challenges I think the clothes and declutter out of the house would be great. Getting ready for summer by going through outdoor toys and pumping tires on bikes is something I will eventually need to get to. I should also get my weekly plans updated and start using my Control Journal (Flylady talk, there) again. Even if there was one day a week to update my daytimer and meal plan would be enough.

I :heart the idea of minor home improvements.

klpmommy
03-05-2009, 09:06 AM
what about something like 10 pts/toilet AND a 50 pt bonus if all toilets are cleaned? :think

although my house needs this now I doubt I will be up to participating.

RealLifeMama
03-05-2009, 09:20 AM
I doubt I will get to participate, either. But if I could, I'd like the idea of breaking rooms down. Saying to clean the whole family room is a little overwhelming. I'd prefer it say something like
"dust ceiling fan- 10 points"
"wipe windowsills- 10 points"
etc

The clothing challenges would be great!

thomer
03-05-2009, 09:24 AM
I'd love to see some outside challenges. Our yard is looking pretty sad.
Or maybe work on the shed/garage (not too long though - that can be overwhelming!).

I'm looking forward to it! :tu

Heather R
03-05-2009, 10:04 AM
Great ideas everyone!

What do you think about having our dailies (obviously), and then 4-5 weekly items (Kitchen wipe-down, bathrooms, floors, etc) and then doing a "zone" per week, with specific challenges for that zone? A zone might be "Kitchen & Dining", "Living Room", "Kid's Rooms" "Master Bedroom & Linen Closet" "Playroom & Home Office" "Entries & Porches" "Sheds & Decks" "Garage & Attic" "Basement & Laundry Room"...

I think this is basically how Katie did it... I guess I didn't pay that close attention...

lumpofclay
03-05-2009, 10:11 AM
:popcorn

RiverRock
03-05-2009, 12:28 PM
What do you think about having our dailies (obviously), and then 4-5 weekly items (Kitchen wipe-down, bathrooms, floors, etc) and then doing a "zone" per week, with specific challenges for that zone? A zone might be "Kitchen & Dining", "Living Room", "Kid's Rooms" "Master Bedroom & Linen Closet" "Playroom & Home Office" "Entries & Porches" "Sheds & Decks" "Garage & Attic" "Basement & Laundry Room"...

:tu Sounds great!

arelyn
03-05-2009, 12:33 PM
:yes ditto!

jblairosu
03-05-2009, 12:46 PM
Sounds good. I like the idea of posting the entire week on Sunday. I really liked how much my house improved during the HHBC and need to do this again. Definite areas that need major help are my sunroom and garage...super duper disorganized, messy, and dirty! I like the idea of improvements day too. Thanks, ladies, for taking this on!

JoyGal
03-05-2009, 01:12 PM
I like the zone idea :yes

mollobe
03-05-2009, 01:14 PM
I'd like the idea of breaking rooms down. Saying to clean the whole family room is a little overwhelming. I'd prefer it say something like:
"dust ceiling fan- 10 points"
"wipe windowsills- 10 points"
etc

:yes And since I have a small house, I also like the idea a PP had about "10 pts per toilet cleaned, 50 pt bonus if all get done." Although, now that I think more about it, that might give small home people too much of an advantage...since I only have 1 toilet? But maybe it would even out since the big home people likely have many things to get points for that I don't have in my home? :think

KatieMae
03-05-2009, 01:16 PM
Sounds good. I like the idea of posting the entire week on Sunday. I really liked how much my house improved during the HHBC and need to do this again. Definite areas that need major help are my sunroom and garage...super duper disorganized, messy, and dirty! I like the idea of improvements day too. Thanks, ladies, for taking this on!

:sick :yes2 I'm afraid of the bugs (mainly spiders!) that might be living in our basement/garage. I think I'll have my pest control guy do a really thorough spray down there before we start :shiver

bostonsmama
03-05-2009, 01:18 PM
:popcorn

jblairosu
03-05-2009, 01:20 PM

:sick :yes2 I'm afraid of the bugs (mainly spiders!) that might be living in our basement/garage. I think I'll have my pest control guy do a really thorough spray down there before we start :shiver

Good idea!

mollobe
03-05-2009, 01:22 PM

OT & FYI: Our bug guy said the spray doesn't work for spiders because they don't lick themselves clean like roaches and other bugs do. :shrug He suggested sticky traps specifically made for spiders.

KatieMae
03-05-2009, 01:26 PM

OT & FYI: Our bug guy said the spray doesn't work for spiders because they don't lick themselves clean like roaches and other bugs do. :shrug He suggested sticky traps specifically made for spiders.

Actually our guy uses all natural treatments - like one is minty, another smells like thyme - and it does kill the spiders, but I think it has to be on-contact, so anything hidden or not yet hatched is not affected, unfortunately :shifty Can we stop talking about bugs now? :shiver :giggle Ugh. And did I mention I would *love* to finish our basement so there aren't any places for these things to live in secret? (Keep dreaming, I know. It ain't gonna happen in THIS economy :no)

Heather R
03-05-2009, 02:31 PM
Ok, I've posted a "pre-challenge" challenge...

http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/mb/index.php?topic=220770.new#new

Hehe, this is going to be fun!

KatieMae
03-05-2009, 02:32 PM
Hehe, this is going to be fun!

:up See, that sounds a tiny bit maniacal ;) and ITU :rockon

RealLifeMama
03-05-2009, 02:41 PM

:tu Sounds great!

That sounds pretty good. Would the zones be Flylady style, like 15 minutes in our zone daily, or would we all do the same thing?

LOL about the garage. I'm not allowed in there. That is DH's territory. It is a mess, though. There is a path from the door to the freezer and beyond that, I don't dare venture.

klpmommy
03-05-2009, 02:42 PM
Amy, are you *really* going to do this? :jawdrop How can you manage? Your baby is the "same age" as mine.

KatieMae
03-05-2009, 02:51 PM
LOL about the garage. I'm not allowed in there. That is DH's territory. It is a mess, though. There is a path from the door to the freezer and beyond that, I don't dare venture.

:lol Yeah, we were in the basement two weeks ago for a tornado warning, so while we kept an eye on the window, DH & I were cleaning up a little so we had a slightly clearer path to the storage area.

RooMama
03-05-2009, 03:02 PM
I have no ideas, I just want to join. I'm in the process of Mt. Vernoning my whole house and am on my third room. I hope this will keep me going.

RealLifeMama
03-05-2009, 03:05 PM
Amy, are you *really* going to do this? :jawdrop How can you manage? Your baby is the "same age" as mine.

Oh, I am just dreaming......

klpmommy
03-05-2009, 03:12 PM

Oh, I am just dreaming......

:phew I was thinking you must be super woman or something. ;)

Heather R
03-06-2009, 09:15 AM
Just a reminder for those who do their shopping on the weekend to pick up any cleaners or supplies you may be running low on... I know during the last challenge I went through toilet bowl cleaner like crazy... 4 toilets that actually got cleaned every week... :doh Don't forget things like rubber gloves, too.

Oh, and keep your eye out for boxes to use for your decluttering... "Put Away" "Throw Away" "Give Away"...

RooMama
03-06-2009, 10:50 AM
Amy, are you *really* going to do this?

When I first saw this I thought it was directed at me and I thought, wow, Kimberly really gets what a disaster I am. :giggle :O

When is this challenge actually starting?

KatieMae
03-06-2009, 11:04 AM

This coming Monday, the 9th, right Heather R?

klpmommy
03-06-2009, 12:00 PM
Amy, are you *really* going to do this?

When I first saw this I thought it was directed at me and I thought, wow, Kimberly really gets what a disaster I am. :giggle :O

well, in *that* case, it takes one to know one ;) :hug

Heather R
03-06-2009, 01:42 PM

This coming Monday, the 9th, right Heather R?

Yes, I think that was the consensus...

mollobe
03-06-2009, 01:50 PM
I've never done a challenge before...so can someone tell me what you do if you'll be out of town for a while? I'll be gone from the 17th to the 22nd, does that mean I shouldn't participate?

arelyn
03-06-2009, 03:21 PM
I've never done a challenge before...so can someone tell me what you do if you'll be out of town for a while? I'll be gone from the 17th to the 22nd, does that mean I shouldn't participate?

Oh no. You can still be in. You can either resign yourself to having fewer points or make them up when you get home. Challenge activities are usually stand alone tasks, very rarely cumulative, so it's ok if you miss a few and don't have time to make them up.