PDA

View Full Version : Help my kitchen windows!

KatieMae
03-04-2009, 02:02 PM
This bay window needs help :yes

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j298/katiemae1229/Kitchenwindow.jpg

The walls are a pale apple green, btw, I know it doesn't show up well. The kids have their play kitchen & doll stuff right there and they like to look at the birdfeeder outside the window; in the spring that dogwood tree is positively gorgeous. I want something very open, and most importantly MADE OF FABRIC :yes so I can sew it myself. Someone before us installed U-shaped curtain rods at the top, so that's available. I could add tension rods if needed, but I want the whole project to be cheap, so I can't afford new blinds. The mini-blinds will be 100% GONE so pretend those aren't there ;)

So, any brilliant ideas? :) Links to pretty pictures?

charla
03-04-2009, 02:09 PM
What do you think of some of these ideas? http://www.bhg.com/decorating/window-treatments/basics/bay-and-bow-window-treatment-ideas/?page=1 I really like #5 but maybe you'd also like #3 or #8.

KatieMae
03-04-2009, 02:14 PM
Oh Charla, that #5 is VERY cool! Seriously considering that one :rockon

RiverRock
03-04-2009, 02:14 PM
Gorgeous windows! Do you need to be able to close the curtains? If you do then roman shades would look nice. Another option is to put panels (a total of 4) from the rod to the floor at the edges and between the windows. Your fabric should be a shade darker or lighter than the walls, or be a pattern that has that green in it. If you just want a finished look, then placing a straight bar across the top and having a panel hang at each end of the bay window would also look nice (I've seen decorators do this on a couple of shows...the look is a little formal in the end so it wouldn't be my first choice for your room). I have 2 bay windows in my house and I find they are hard to hang curtains for. We have vertical blinds on one (master bedroom) and a valance on the other (kitchen).

Oliveshoots
03-04-2009, 02:26 PM
I would do four panels of long, sheer, lightweight white or ivory fabric. I think it would go great with the green and look really fresh and homey with the natural light coming in. Or even a lightweight linen or gauze would look pretty. That's just me. :) LOVE your bay window! What a pretty, natural place for your kiddos to play. :yes :heart

KatieMae
03-04-2009, 02:27 PM
What a pretty, natural place for your kiddos to play. :yes :heart

And awesome for distracting a toddler while I cook :rockon :giggle I wish I could have a window seat there (like, for a breakfast nook), but their play area is more precious to me right now!