PDA

View Full Version : Knitting

Benjaminswife
03-02-2009, 01:48 AM
So this weekend I learned to knit :) I picked it up pretty fast and working on just practicing a lot. Eventually I want to do socks :)

FaroeIslandBabes
03-02-2009, 02:18 AM
:tu you'll be an addict in no time! :giggle will you be posting some of these socks when you finish? :poke :)

Atarah
03-02-2009, 03:19 AM
:cheer

RosalieMarie
03-02-2009, 06:24 AM
:rockon I started knitting in October, and I LOVE it! I'm going to start my first pair of socks pretty soon.

Naked Camper
03-02-2009, 07:12 AM
:rockon

Wonder Woman
03-02-2009, 07:18 AM
that's awesome :rockon (and we always want to see pics :poke)

knitlove
03-02-2009, 05:10 PM
socks are not as hard as you might think. The 4th or 5th project I ever knitted was socks.

The only problem is that now I have deiced that I really don't want to put any thing but hand knitted socks on my feet. :shifty

HummusDip
03-02-2009, 05:39 PM
I learned how to knit last week and I love it!! I'm just about finished with my first scarf. I'll make 2 more and then move on to something else...Maybe a hat or a pillow for my dd.

I do love it but I'm not perfect. I'm ok though. My friends are saying that I'm a natural and I do really well but I'm obsessive and I hate where I can see my mistakes. I either added a stich or didn't keep my knitting as tight because it starts to get a bit wider in one part. :blush

Lily
03-02-2009, 05:43 PM
I do love it but I'm not perfect. I'm ok though. My friends are saying that I'm a natural and I do really well but I'm obsessive and I hate where I can see my mistakes. I either added a stich or didn't keep my knitting as tight because it starts to get a bit wider in one part. :blush

We are always our own worst critics. :heart

I saw a pair of socks on ravelry that I really want to make, but I'm kind of nervous to try. I've only made a scarf, a wrap and a dishcloth.

Punkie
03-02-2009, 05:55 PM
Socks really aren't bad at all. The trick is to DO WHAT THE PATTERN TELLS YOU... even if it seems crazy. Just do it, and then you'll magically have a sock! :giggle

knitlove
03-02-2009, 06:11 PM
Socks really aren't bad at all. The trick is to DO WHAT THE PATTERN TELLS YOU... even if it seems crazy. Just do it, and then you'll magically have a sock! :giggle

:yes totally true until you make one it is really hard to see how it is going to work. I really like doing tow up socks with short row heals I think they fit a little better and are easer to understand but they don't have the 'ah ha' of turning the heal.

I saw a pair of socks on ravelry that I really want to make, but I'm kind of nervous to try. I've only made a scarf, a wrap and a dishcloth.

I had made one scarf, one hat, one really bad sweater, and one baby blanket before I did socks. You can totally do it I would suggest playing with a swatch in the round but socks are not hard.

I do really well but I'm obsessive and I hate where I can see my mistakes. I either added a stich or didn't keep my knitting as tight because it starts to get a bit wider in one part. :blush

Have you looked online or in some of the knitting help books on how to fix mistakes? It completely changed my knitting when I got up the nerve to drip a stitch or two down to fix some thing and then pick it back up intend of thinking I had to rip it all out back to where ever the problem was. It takes a little bit and then you can get start to tell when your gauge is changing and fix it, I still have to be careful when I know I am upset about some thing and I am knitting so that it doesn't get really tight.

FaroeIslandBabes
03-03-2009, 01:29 AM
Knitting for Dummies is a really helpful book...it shows you how to fix mistakes :)

Benjaminswife
03-03-2009, 11:26 PM
Oh that book does sound like it would help!

There is a German lady that sells these beautiful socks and she inspired me to want to learn how to at least try to make them.

Eowyn
03-03-2009, 11:52 PM
Learning how to let a stitch go to fix my mistakes was a real :idea moment for me. I start my first pair of socks (Ultra Alpaca in green), two at the same time on one circular (socks for ADD Knitters--perfect!) on Monday. I am sooooo impatient. :nails

Welcome to the dark side, Julie. :giggle

KnittingHappy
03-05-2009, 12:59 PM
I've been knitting for 13 months now. My motivation was to learn to knit socks. I want to knit socks. I just don't have time to learn. I bought a baby blanket pattern book last summer and am so glad I did. It seems like everyone around me is having babies and I need to make blankets. I just taught myself how to knit in the round to make a few hats. I still really, really want to make socks and I will get there eventually. I'm just having fun knitting all the other stuff for now.

Wholly Mama
03-05-2009, 02:53 PM
Learning how to let a stitch go to fix my mistakes was a real :idea moment for me. I start my first pair of socks (Ultra Alpaca in green), two at the same time on one circular (socks for ADD Knitters--perfect!) on Monday. I am sooooo impatient. :nails

I so need to learn to knit two at a time. I bought stuff to do it, I just couldn't understand the instructions. My problem is ALWAYS making one sock and then not making the other. We have lots of singles here in our house. :shifty

BeckaBlue
03-05-2009, 03:01 PM
:rockon i learned a yr ago...ill make socks eventually, maybe once jos not in diapers :giggle

Eowyn
03-05-2009, 03:49 PM

I so need to learn to knit two at a time. I bought stuff to do it, I just couldn't understand the instructions. My problem is ALWAYS making one sock and then not making the other. We have lots of singles here in our house. :shifty

I have nooo attention span. :O I'm currently working on a baby hat that is totally different from the baby hat I made yesterday, and I'm already thinking ahead to the next project. :doh I've put off socks until I can do them two at a time because I know I'd never finish if I started with one.

Benjaminswife
03-06-2009, 01:43 AM
Okay so I messed up somehow and my teacher has gone home so I found some videos and taught myself how to start at the beginning. I am excited. At first it made no sense but now I get it!

My DH has asked for a sweater...how hard is that?

knitlove
03-06-2009, 07:34 AM

not to hard, seaming it together can be a pain you might want to look at top down construction so that you knit it in one piece, there are a lot of stitches in a sweater so it takes a bit of time, but they are all either knit or purl ;)

I have nooo attention span. :O I'm currently working on a baby hat that is totally different from the baby hat I made yesterday, and I'm already thinking ahead to the next project. :doh I've put off socks until I can do them two at a time because I know I'd never finish if I started with one.

the dreaded SSS (second sock syndrome) I have about deiced to tread those waters again because I can knit faster on Dpn than with two socks on circs.

Benjaminswife
03-09-2009, 12:13 AM

not to hard, seaming it together can be a pain you might want to look at top down construction so that you knit it in one piece, there are a lot of stitches in a sweater so it takes a bit of time, but they are all either knit or purl ;)

the dreaded SSS (second sock syndrome) I have about deiced to tread those waters again because I can knit faster on Dpn than with two socks on circs.

Oh cool, I can handle those stitches right now :)