PDA

View Full Version : how are emergency preparations going?

ArmsOfLove
02-26-2009, 08:44 PM
I have almost a whole year of food stored up for us :yes We are going to have a garden no matter where we go so while we may need to primarily live on grains for a few months we're not stocking the gigantic amounts of grains that the LDS site recommends. We're doing more than we normally would eat in a year because we won't have convenience anything, but not THOUSANDS :P

and we went RV shopping. Some really interesting options out there that we're exploring. We should get our settlement offers soon (apparently we will have 7 settlements because they do each person in the van separately :jawdrop) and then we'll be able to do stuff :yes

purstrength
02-26-2009, 09:20 PM
Our 72 hour packs are coming along nicely. I have no idea how much food we have...maybe two months worth. :shrug Right now, I'm just buying extras and stocking up in general. I figure I'll make a plan with it once a few other things are in place.

I think you are doing awesome, Crystal! :yes

Lily
02-26-2009, 09:27 PM
We have a years supply for just James and I. Now we are working on a years supply for about 6 people. If something huge happened, I know that Mom, Dad, my brother and his family, Matt, Maurine and James and I would all be congregating at Matt's farm. My brother and his family have almost a year's supply, daddy has his year supply and Matt has a pretty big garden and 100 cattle.

So we've got to get enough food to cover the extra people who aren't saving and any possible children we have between now and then. So we're picking up more wheat tomorrow. We're still having trouble finding corn at a reasonable price or reasonable distance.

I'm learning more recipes to work with the food we have and I've started a small cookbook (otherwise it will get lost among my millions of recipes).

We're still working on getting more 30 gallon drums for wheat, sugar and corn storage. We're having very little luck getting a hold of the coke bottler here for 55 gallon drums for water.

ArmsOfLove
02-26-2009, 09:59 PM
where do you get 30 gallon drums?

I'm learning more recipes to work with the food we have and I've started a small cookbook (otherwise it will get lost among my millions of recipes).I'm trying to organize my recipes too :yes Great reminder :yes

mummy2boys
02-26-2009, 10:03 PM
You guys are great :rockon I feel :blush Gotta get on to this

PurpleButterfly
02-26-2009, 10:24 PM
:popcorn

bostonsmama
02-26-2009, 10:29 PM
subbing...I've got to start working more diligently on this :blush

Lily
02-26-2009, 10:48 PM
where do you get 30 gallon drums?

I'm learning more recipes to work with the food we have and I've started a small cookbook (otherwise it will get lost among my millions of recipes).I'm trying to organize my recipes too :yes Great reminder :yes

The 30 gallon drums are from US Plastics. (www.usplastics.com (http://www.usplastics.com))

Heather Micaela
02-26-2009, 11:04 PM
I want to do this. But WHERE ON EARTH do I store my stuff.
Crystal, you have seen my house, any ideas?

mama-hobbit
02-26-2009, 11:17 PM

PurpleButterfly
02-26-2009, 11:23 PM
The 30 gallon drums are from US Plastics. (www.usplastics.com (http://www.usplastics.com))

:)

Heather Micaela
02-26-2009, 11:26 PM
BUt if your stuff was in containers INSIDE THAT, wouldnt that be OK?

tempus vernum
02-26-2009, 11:28 PM

:yes It is fine if its wrapped in 50# or 25# bags that aren't breatheable ;)

I am doing terrible at emergency preparations. . .No $$ for it. . . . just lurking and paying attention for now ;)

Herbwifemama
02-27-2009, 12:00 AM
I'm working on 72 hour kits. I've ordered the tiny stoves and fuel for them, and then I've got to do the water.

I just changed out my coffee table for a wooden toy chest, and I'm storing stuff in that.

In one corner of my dining room there's nothing- just a wine rack. I REALLY want to get a pie safe (that's my personal style) and store stuff in that, but they're $$$$. :( So I may have to settle for utilitarian.

After that, I'm going to get rid of my end tables, and do the plywood on top covered with a tablecloth thing for the buckets of grain.

My kitchen cabinets are narrow and deep, so we currently just use the front part of most of them, but I'm going to stock food in the back parts.

After I get our car kit done, I'm going to start on a 3 month supply.

I found this great list on another board:http://members.cox.net/auburnheaven/selfreliant/foodstorageplan.pdf

I plan on implementing some form of that soon, too.

PurpleButterfly
02-27-2009, 12:05 AM
:nak2 :ty3 :kiss

Lily
02-27-2009, 12:15 AM

Our stuff is in mylar bags with ox absorbers and then layered in the drums. It just is an easy way to keep all the bags organized and together.

Heather Micaela
02-27-2009, 12:29 AM
I'm working on 72 hour kits. I've ordered the tiny stoves and fuel for them, and then I've got to do the water.

I just changed out my coffee table for a wooden toy chest, and I'm storing stuff in that.

In one corner of my dining room there's nothing- just a wine rack. I REALLY want to get a pie safe (that's my personal style) and store stuff in that, but they're $$$$. :( So I may have to settle for utilitarian.

After that, I'm going to get rid of my end tables, and do the plywood on top covered with a tablecloth thing for the buckets of grain.

My kitchen cabinets are narrow and deep, so we currently just use the front part of most of them, but I'm going to stock food in the back parts.

After I get our car kit done, I'm going to start on a 3 month supply.

I found this great list on another board:http://members.cox.net/auburnheaven/selfreliant/foodstorageplan.pdf

I plan on implementing some form of that soon, too.

I neeed a bigger place :hissyfit
My end tables are already utilitarian, etc, etc :(

mummy2boys
02-27-2009, 12:34 AM
Interesting that my dh doesn't feel the same compelling urge to prepare as I do, are any of you experiencing the same?

Mine seens no need for it :shrug

JoyGal
02-27-2009, 01:23 AM
Interesting that my dh doesn't feel the same compelling urge to prepare as I do, are any of you experiencing the same?

Mine seens no need for it :shrug

Same here, but he comes from a life that has never had any need to prepare for any type of disaster or tough circumstance (which is lovely in some aspect :heart )

I suddenly had a MAJOR panic attack over this yesterday. I had three huge signs that I need to be ready and like now. (Yes, I know that our most loving Lord sends signs and I need to pay attention.) Right now I am at the point of feeling so ansy I literally cannot hardly sit still and I have butterlies in my stomach. When I woke up this morning, I decided NOW is the time to get it all set. (For the last few months I have been preparing myself to become prepared, so now its time to start implementing the things more.)

Sooooo...I'm going to the grocery store later today to finish our 72 hour kits.

I implemented a new filing system last week which totally rocks. Everything is in oversized binders now and completely ready to grab at a moments notice. Our emergency book with all of our important documents and original copies is in the bug out bag (I love that term and picked it up from AQW :rockon )

I also know that I need to get my business ideas into practice now. I've been thinking about them for so long that I dream about getting things ready. I really want to have alternate sources of income for my family and feel that is super important.

saturnfire16
02-27-2009, 02:18 AM
We just got our state tax return, so we went out and bought a few things for the BOB today. We actually plan to have two of them. The smaller one is almost done, and that one will go in the car at all times. We have most of the supplies for the larger one, but not the actual bag yet. That one will go in the house. We got a good deal on the small bag, but we priced larger bags today and they are crazy! $179 for a big backpacking bag at Joe's. :jawdrop So, we are going to keep our eyes out for a used one.

We only have about 2 weeks of stock up food, plus whatever is on hand in the kitchen which is usually only food for the week. We are going to spend a couple of hundred out of the federal tax return for more stock up food. I think we'll have about 2 months worth after that. For water, I've been filling up plastic apple juice bottles after we drink the juice. We aren't drinking much juice lately though, so I need to go out and buy water.

I'm also short on space! We live in a little apartment. I think we are going to utilize some of dd's closet space since she hardly uses her room anyway.

I joined a garden co-op, and we are going to start planting in a few weeks. It's small and brand new, so we'll see how it goes. At the very least, I'll get a little gardening experience and some fresh, organic produce. If all goes well, I'll also be learning to can soon!

PurpleButterfly
02-27-2009, 05:49 AM

tempus vernum
02-27-2009, 06:15 AM
Wow, that must be really tough :hugheart I am sorry to hear of the stress level this is causing some families :hugheart

I wanted to remind you all of the following scripture passage. I am not using it as an illustration of why not prepare for calamity :no I am reminding you that worrying does nothing but rob your joy :bheart. By all means prepare :yes. I know I plan on it when we have some extra $$ (if that happens) but I am totally unstressed about the fact that just a year ago we had about 6 months of food and we are down to maybe 2 or 3 :shrug WHen I do begin to worry, I remind myself of all the miracles of provision God has already done for our family. . over and over. . time and again. . financially. . . medically. . . spiritually. . He's always preparing a way for us. . . ALWAYS. God is ALWAYS faithful. GOD is our provider. :heart :heart

I hope this scripture is a balm to your stress :heart :heart

Matthew 6:25-31
Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes?
Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?
Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life [fn]?
"And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin.
Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these.
If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith?
So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?'

PurpleButterfly
02-27-2009, 07:10 AM
:heart

Herbwifemama
02-27-2009, 09:47 AM
Heather :hugheart I currently have a lot of clutter in my living room that I did not want, and it got in anyway, and it's soul killing. That constant low level frustration is HARD to take.

I also wish I was more prepared, but I'm actually enjoying the process (even though it's slower than I like) because I feel like I"m DOING something, and going from having NOTHING to having 2 weeks of water stored plus 72 hour kits, plus some extra food (that I can cook w/o electricity if I have to) has made me feel really good. And the peace of mind is amazing. I'm NOWHERE near done yet. But even just the start I've made helps me feel better. I feel like I have at least a year before I need to start worrying, and I can do a lot in a year. :yes

ArmsOfLove
02-27-2009, 09:48 AM
from studying, Kym, I do believe we will be going through the tribulation but . . . and this is where all my peace comes from . . . it's not FOR us! Think of the Egyptians and the Israelites--the Israelites weren't bugging with gnats or worried about blood water. They were waiting :) And it was the Egyptians who came over to be with the Israelites who would have been safe as well :heart And the goal of those plagues wasn't for them to suffer--it was to bring them TO their KNEES before the Lord! Those of us already serving Him are not the ones any of this is for :heart

Read about the Israelites in the wilderness--their shoes NEVER WORE OUT! And their clothes stayed good. And they were given manna and quail DAILY to eat :happytears I think that would be a very wonderful way to live myself!

I was worrying about not having *enough* and woke the other morning to God running visions through my head of all the times in Scripture that he provided miraculously :heart The fish and loaves to feed 5,000, the oil that didn't stop pouring until the bottles were all full, etc. In all of those instances someone had to have fish and loaves or oil, but it was God who multiplied it to be enough!

I see this as a very exciting time--not to trust myself, but to learn how to move into daily being led and guided by God who has a timeline that we are on. I've always striven to live in the world but not of it, only every time I feel fear about something I realize how *of* the world I've become :cry Lord, forgive me! This time feels painful ONLY in as much as I am being extracted from the world system and learning to be totally and daily reliant on God :amen

and if we are taken before it all then :rockon It's not like I'd hold onto something and try to stay ;)

Can'tTurnLeft
02-27-2009, 10:03 AM
I want to share what is on my heart in regards to my food stores and the potential tribulation.

First my stores are NOT ONLY for tribulation from God, but also from our current economy. Things are bad, getting worse. Inflation is happening already and the government just refuses to admit it. So that is one thing.

But second, and my DH and I are on the same page. We believe fully that God will provide for our family. We know that we need to build up some stores, but I'm not entirely convinced they are for us either. The scriptures are full of stories of tribulation of the faithful. You'll read about Joseph who was instructed by God to store food for seven years, and you'll read about the Israelites who fled Egypt who were provided for by God and admonished for storing more than they needed for that day. You'll read about Elijah who was miraculously fed by the widow and a miracle. The point being God always provides, in different ways, for different situations.

Right now I feel as if I've had a Joseph style epiphany, and feel that God is telling me to store for my family. However I also feel very VERY strongly that the time will come where I will open the stores in my home and help feed the family across the street, the woman running from danger, the soldier, the enemy perhaps even. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that God will multiply my stores and keep my family safe and provided for. I wish I could further explain it, but I don't have a doubt as to how it will play out, just don't know when it will :)

I also don't believe this will be the same word given to everyone. Some will be called on to have complete faith and walk away from everything, trusting God to take care of their needs as they flee. Some will be called to further sacrifice. I am only speaking for myself and the joy that I find in stocking up. I know that I'm stocking up to share with my neighbors, my friends, perhaps my enemies and that God so often uses a good meal to minister to others.

CakeLady
02-27-2009, 10:04 AM
subbing for now....my biggest priority is preparing for baby then I plan to make our 72 hour bags.

Herbwifemama
02-27-2009, 10:05 AM
Oh Crystal. I think that post is the single most comforting thing I've EVER heard you say. I think it needs to be it's own post. And we can add to it- I just finished reading this book by a Christian author called "A Life that Says Welcome" and she talks in there about having a "I Spy" book is what they call it, but it's really a compendium of all the work God has done in their lives- when they have a physical need, they write it down and get to praying. And when God fills the need they write it down so they have a physical reminder of God filling their needs, and the examples she gives are of God working miracles! And it made me remember the miraculous ways God has worked in my own life- and I'm planning on doing an I Spy book too (though I might give it a different name).

Maybe we could have a thread like that. Crystal may I quote you and start that thread? We can have Biblical examples of provision, and then personal examples as a group, and then we can see that God DOES provide. And we can be comforted in these hard times. :amen

And your examples of the Israelites in the desert is SO timely as I'm preparing for our first home seder. :heart

:think So... the tribulation isn't FOR us? I thought the tribulation was going to be a time of persecution. And the wrath we wouldn't be here for.

Lantern Light Mama
02-27-2009, 10:12 AM
Mine are stalled.

KLin
02-27-2009, 10:28 AM
Working to cleanse, organize and prepare my home. I want peace of mind for myself and security for my families needs. :pray4 :heart

KatieMae
02-27-2009, 10:41 AM
Spinning off here w/ some questions: http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/mb/index.php?topic=219752

I was worrying about not having *enough* and woke the other morning to God running visions through my head of all the times in Scripture that he provided miraculously :heart The fish and loaves to feed 5,000, the oil that didn't stop pouring until the bottles were all full, etc. In all of those instances someone had to have fish and loaves or oil, but it was God who multiplied it to be enough!

I see this as a very exciting time--not to trust myself, but to learn how to move into daily being led and guided by God who has a timeline that we are on. I've always striven to live in the world but not of it, only every time I feel fear about something I realize how *of* the world I've become :cry Lord, forgive me! This time feels painful ONLY in as much as I am being extracted from the world system and learning to be totally and daily reliant on God :amen

and if we are taken before it all then :rockon It's not like I'd hold onto something and try to stay ;)

Love that Crystal :rockon

OrthoMama
02-27-2009, 10:46 AM
Aside: For those who have long stores of food, 6+mos, do you rotate it out or worry about it getting old? I'm new to this idea, and am sure there's info out there about what kind of food to store, just curious how you organize your food to keep track of age, or if you do.

ArmsOfLove
02-27-2009, 11:08 AM
Aside: For those who have long stores of food, 6+mos, do you rotate it out or worry about it getting old? I'm new to this idea, and am sure there's info out there about what kind of food to store, just curious how you organize your food to keep track of age, or if you do.
I do keep track and will be rotating it, but stored properly most grains and things can last from 10 to 30 years :rockon Sugar and salt will last forever unless they get wet. You have to store grains and such properly, though, because of bugs :shiver

Oh Crystal. I think that post is the single most comforting thing I've EVER heard you say :happytears thank you--absolutely take that and start a thread to explore miraculous provision :yes :hug

and as for the tribulation--I do believe there will be widespread persecution of believers--but I believe we will be preserved through it :heart But the Great Tribulation will be for the purpose of bringing believers to the Lord :yes When those of us with the Holy Spirit are around we bring conviction--even if we stand silently near them. :amen They won't like that.

diamondintherough
02-27-2009, 11:32 AM
You guys are great :rockon I feel :blush Gotta get on to this

Ditto here. I keep saying I'm going to do it, but I haven't except for stocking up on a few extra jars of peanut butter.

I think I may ask dh to shift some priorities around. Our tax return is supposed to go for Christmas and homeschooling supplies, but maybe we can switch some stuff around. :think

mandieolivia
02-27-2009, 11:43 AM
i was doing good and then i just kind of had to step away from storing up for a bit.
this thread just makes me want to get back on track. :rockon

JoyGal
02-27-2009, 12:28 PM
I went and purchased almost the last of our foods needed for the 72 hour kits today :rockon Just a few more supplies are needed along with only a few tiny things for the kits. I got foods with long expiration dates too, so it should be easier to rotate them out within the next year :smile

Blue-EyedLady
02-27-2009, 12:32 PM
I can't do this right now. :no2 We're living with my Mom, and have all of our stuff in storage. There's no room here to stock up and neither mom nor DH thinks it's important. :sigh

As soon as we're out of here, I plan to start working on this again...

JoyGal
02-27-2009, 12:42 PM
I can't do this right now. :no2 We're living with my Mom, and have all of our stuff in storage. There's no room here to stock up and neither mom nor DH thinks it's important. :sigh

:hugheart Maybe until then you can keep a notebook of ideas or a list on the computer. Then you will be ahead of the game in getting it all planned so putting things together later will be easier :)

KatieMae
02-27-2009, 01:20 PM

:hugheart Maybe until then you can keep a notebook of ideas or a list on the computer. Then you will be ahead of the game in getting it all planned so putting things together later will be easier :)

You could also certainly justify having a car-kit prepared :yes

JJsMom
02-27-2009, 06:06 PM
Ugh. I am feeling overwhelmed. I am making a bulk order tonight and here is what I am ordering:
50 lbs black beans
50 lbs pinto beans
5 lbs barley
25 lbs buckwheat
25 lbs whole oat groats
25 lbs steel cut oat groats
25 lbs rolled oats
50 lbs wheat berries
25 lbs spelt
100+ lbs pasta (corn and wheat pastas)
25 lbs popping corn
50 lbs sugar

But that doesn't seem like much compared to the massive amounts on some of these sites. :sigh Plus, I still don't know how to store them to keep away the bugs.
These are all things we will use so I need to have a good rotation plan.
We also have a freezer full of meat and frozen veggies (and we are considering getting another one), we have chickens and we have lots of deer and my dh bowhunts. So, that helps ease my mind.

I also am not sure about water storage. We have well water and a generator so we would have that and my SIL lives on our land and she uses solar power and has a well. Plus, we live near a little river and have a water filtration unit that we use for camping. So, I feel like I shouldn't even bother. :shrug

Crystal's post did help me, but at the same time, I am so scared. I don't feel as worried about food now as about my kids suffering. I am willing to suffer but I can't bear the thought of my kids suffering. :(

JJsMom
02-28-2009, 10:36 AM
Hello? Where did everyone go? :paranoid
;)

jenny_islander
02-28-2009, 11:07 AM
I don't believe in any tribulation timelines myself (I guess that makes me a-mil--?), but we have to be ready if DH's job goes pfft or (more likely) everybody has to take a cut in hours or pay. There has already been a crackdown on overtime. A more immediate concern is the volcano on the mainland that may disrupt grocery deliveries or even dump ash on us. And then there is the simple fact that having food on hand when we're sick makes it less likely that we'll spend money we don't need to be spending on having meals delivered.

My latest big project was cleaning out the broken freezer in which we were storing our emergency water supply. Now I need to refill the bottles one by one. We are using big juice jugs, cleaned with hot water and soap and filled with tap water and a very small amount of bleach per some guidelines I found on line.

purstrength
02-28-2009, 01:42 PM
If you have a Meijer nearby...

Cans of chunk white tuna are 10 for $10 and get an 11th free. I'm picking those up tonight. :yes

ArmsOfLove
03-01-2009, 07:35 PM
. . .I am so scared. I don't feel as worried about food now as about my kids suffering. I am willing to suffer but I can't bear the thought of my kids suffering.

Remember that God is our Father and our heart for our children is only a taste of His heart for us :heart