PDA

View Full Version : Are there Alternative Pesticides??

RubySlippers
02-25-2009, 05:18 PM
Our organic sq ft garden was decimated by pests last year.
Apple is creating a new garden plan and I want to know if there are any alternative pesticides out there that aren't toxic.
Our crops were destroyed by aphids, white flies, plant lice, worms, etc.
We have a very healthy population of ants, so the aphids were insidious and blackened the fruit and stalks.
We have to use something on the plants this year or give up in despair.
Please advise!

ShangriLewis
02-25-2009, 05:21 PM
Attract bees and birds to eat them.
Do companion plantings.
Spray plants with a soap mixture.
Move your garden bed this year.
Make sure everything in that bed was composted really, really, hot or sent to the landfill.

RubySlippers
02-25-2009, 05:28 PM
Make sure everything in that bed was composted really, really, hot or sent to the landfill.

Oh my! That sounds severe. Is that to kill any bugs that are in the soil??

ShangriLewis
02-25-2009, 05:42 PM
Bugs and the eggs. You have to kill the eggs.

tempus vernum
02-27-2009, 06:18 AM
:yes and also for a natural pesticide
Garlic water
cayenne water
castillo peppermint soap in water (SL mentionied soap and that works too but we've had a lot of luck with peppermint soap because the mint repels bugs too.)

Plant marigolds, onions, garlic, mint, etc -- other plants that repel bugs. . but be careful on the mint. It's a weed and will overtake your garden :doh

Leslie_JJKs_mom
03-01-2009, 10:06 PM
:yes and also for a natural pesticide
Garlic water
cayenne water
castillo peppermint soap in water (SL mentionied soap and that works too but we've had a lot of luck with peppermint soap because the mint repels bugs too.)

Plant marigolds, onions, garlic, mint, etc -- other plants that repel bugs. . but be careful on the mint. It's a weed and will overtake your garden :doh

I am going to try that natural pesticide. Is it either garlic or cayenne or both?

ShangriLewis
03-02-2009, 01:17 PM
http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/organic/2002081329023823.html
http://www.no-dig-vegetablegarden.com/organic-garden-pest-control.html

swimming with sharks
03-03-2009, 09:52 AM
you can use diatomaceous earth on your garden as well. It might help keep some of those populations down. I'd also look at ladybugs for helping keep the aphid pop down. :yes

me
03-03-2009, 09:53 AM
you can use diatomaceous earth on your garden as well. It might help keep some of those populations down. I'd also look at ladybugs for helping keep the aphid pop down. :yes
:yes :rockon