PDA

View Full Version : Vit C hurts my sons lip/s

Codi
02-25-2009, 11:04 AM
Ds's lips will turn red (above his upper lip usually) when he drinks OJ, lemonade, and when he eats his vitC in the a.m. (He sucks on it and it gets on his lips.) He always needs a straw when drinking those things or after it gets red, it will often split open too.

Why does this happen?

cobluegirl
02-25-2009, 11:10 AM
my guess is that it is too acidic... ds gets really clear burning snot when he is on a lot of vit c...

mommylove
02-25-2009, 11:10 AM
And this doesn't happen with a straw? Do you notice any other symptoms when consuming vit c (regardless of how it's consumed)? My first thought was an allergy. :think

Codi
02-25-2009, 11:13 AM
My first thought was allergy too. But no, it doesn't happen with a straw....the juice doesn't touch his lips with a straw. So maybe just the acid hurts his lip? :shrug

PurpleButterfly
02-25-2009, 11:16 AM
This was the first sign of iron issues in my ds. For us, it turned out to be an uncommon genetic blood disease (Beta Thalassemia), but it can also indicate iron-deficiency anemia. If you haven't had his blood levels tested lately, that might be something to talk to your ped about. If you do find he is anemic or bordeline anemic, please look at the stickies here for info I've posted about alternatives to routinely prescribed ferrous sulfate, or PM me if you are feeling overwhelmed by it all. :hugheart

Because the Beta Thal keeps my ds's hemoglobin levels so low, he absolutely has to use a straw for OJ, V8, etc. and if we don't use a good smear of Vasoline all around his lips, he gets a red rash from other acidic foods like pizza, mexican, tomato sauces, etc. For some reason, Chapstick makes it worse, only the Vasoline works. I get the little tubes made for lip application and he carries them around everywhere. The winter weather definitely exacerbates it, too. :yes2

PurpleButterfly
02-25-2009, 11:18 AM
I wanted to mention that the first ped I took ds to with concerns about his red lip area rash just fluffed it off as "typical lip-licking rash".

Codi
02-25-2009, 11:23 AM
Well he NEVER licks his lips so..... :nails

Hmmmm......what are other signs of anemia or Beta Thalassemia?

Codi
02-25-2009, 11:27 AM
He has no other signs or symptoms of anemia or what ill abbreviate BT.

Could it just be the acid. :think

thomer
02-25-2009, 11:40 AM
Interesting :think

DS gets this when he eats oranges - the juice drips on his chin and he gets a rash or sometimes a sore if he picks at it.

Codi
02-25-2009, 03:28 PM
Interesting :think

DS gets this when he eats oranges - the juice drips on his chin and he gets a rash or sometimes a sore if he picks at it.

Same. This thread really has me :think today.

mommylove
02-25-2009, 04:00 PM
Just thinking out loud here . . . but it seems like if whatever (acid, vit c or whatever is the culprit) is causing external symptoms, wouldn't it also be causing problems internally?

Codi
02-25-2009, 04:04 PM
:shrug Nothing I have noticed...but it makes sense!

:popcorn