PDA

View Full Version : Decadent Birthing Brownies

RealLifeMama
02-24-2009, 07:50 PM
The recipe was submitted to my church's cookbook (you know, one of those cookbooks where everyone submits a recipe and the book is bound?)
The author said that if a mom is overdue, and eats these brownies she will go into labor the next day.
I don't know if that is true...yet.

They are chewy and fudgy, not the slightest bit cakey. They crack on the top.

Here is the recipe: ( I have modified the instructions because I am writing them by memory.)

1 stick butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs, beaten
2 2 ounce squares of bittersweet chocolate, melted
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Cream sugar and butter together until fluffy. Add beaten eggs and mix well. Mix in melted chocolate and vanilla. Mix in flour, and then nuts.
spread in 9X9 inch pan (I'd probably like them thicker, so next time I will use an 8X8 inch pan)
Bake at 325 for 25 minutes.

I will let you know if I go into labor tomorrow!

ETA: They are very thin. I'd try doubling the recipe for normal thickness brownies.

Niphredil
02-24-2009, 08:15 PM
:yum

righteous mama
02-24-2009, 08:18 PM
:rockon

CakeLady
02-24-2009, 08:19 PM

joystrength
02-24-2009, 08:27 PM
Soooo, what happens if you eat them and you're not even pregnant??? :lol :lol

RealLifeMama
02-24-2009, 08:57 PM
Soooo, what happens if you eat them and you're not even pregnant??? :lol :lol

I don't know...my son was wondering the same thing. He was hesitant to eat one saying "But I don't want to have a baby!" :giggle

My DD, on the other hand, said "They look like plain ol' brownies. I think it is just a coincidence." :lol

pastelsummer
02-24-2009, 09:58 PM
oh nummy!!! I wanna try some!!!! And I am gonna too soon!!!

MamaCare
02-24-2009, 10:37 PM
I am *so* gonna bake some of these!!! :rockon

crunchymum
02-24-2009, 11:25 PM
:lol your dd sounds just like mine... little logical first borns... :P~ :giggle

Maggirayne
03-03-2009, 08:58 AM
Yay! I had to look for your original thread! Lol! What if you're in the middle of being pg? :scratch
I think I'll go with your DD's "It's a coincidence." :giggle
So brownies for supper. . .

RealLifeMama
03-03-2009, 09:12 AM
Yay! I had to look for your original thread! Lol! What if you're in the middle of being pg? :scratch

It clearly stated "if a mom is overdue."

I did have the baby the next day. :think
Maybe we need to do a GCM clinical trial.

crunchymum
03-03-2009, 09:18 AM

It clearly stated "if a mom is overdue."

I did have the baby the next day. :think
Maybe we need to do a GCM clinical trial.

:lol you should! (btw, i made these the other night for dh... :shifty i didn't tell him what they were called, though. :lol i'm thinking a double recipe might be good, they were pretty thin...)

Mashena
03-03-2009, 03:38 PM
I want to make brownies for Bible Study tonight but I'm actually slightly nervous that these would send my friend who isn't do for three more weeks into early labor. :giggle

I'll find another recipe ;-) I'd feel really guilty if she went into labor tomorrow! (I don't have the chocolate for these anyway!)

Aisling
03-03-2009, 03:45 PM
I want to make brownies for Bible Study tonight but I'm actually slightly nervous that these would send my friend who isn't do for three more weeks into early labor. :giggle

I'll find another recipe ;-) I'd feel really guilty if she went into labor tomorrow! (I don't have the chocolate for these anyway!)

I think you're pretty safe. :giggle ;) Being overdue is the key for most miracle recipes...having inevitable time on their side and all. (Jen, tell dd she's in good company...says another logical firstborn. :O :O)

RealLifeMama
03-03-2009, 06:15 PM

If you do make them, do double the recipe as Jen suggested.
They are very thin. I did not care, the chocolatey buttery richness combined with the excitement of impending labor was enough for me. But, if I make them again, I will double them for sure.

MamaPepper
03-03-2009, 06:28 PM
So you're saying you HAVE to be overdue??? :giggle

mollobe
03-12-2009, 07:22 PM
And....I'm surprised no one mentioned this yet...if you add the optional nuts, does that mean it'll be a boy? :hiding :shifty

Aisling
03-13-2009, 03:34 PM
And....I'm surprised no one mentioned this yet...if you add the optional nuts, does that mean it'll be a boy? :hiding :shifty

:spit Molly! :haha

Aisling
03-13-2009, 03:35 PM
OK, so, if you double the recipe, in order to make them thicker, you still just make them in the 9x9 pan, right? :think

Niphredil
03-13-2009, 03:50 PM
OK, so, if you double the recipe, in order to make them thicker, you still just make them in the 9x9 pan, right? :think

I'd be worried about them getting all the way done... :think

(not that I see this recipe in my near future. :hiding)

crunchymum
03-13-2009, 04:02 PM

:yes :yum

:laughtears

Oliveshoots
03-13-2009, 04:07 PM
mmmmmm...buttery.....chocolatey.....that's all I require :yum

Mollobe...... :haha that was a good one....

May have to try these tomorrow. I'll be doing some baking for a friend's care basket anyway, so why not make more buttery sugary chocolatey goodness???? :lol :heart

Maybe they make you go into labor because the enjoyable experience relaxes you and produces endorphins and somehow that makes your body ready to go ahead and start dilating, laboring, etc etc. :shrug I would be rEALLY interested to know if there is any science behind it (I was just thinking today about how I"m so interested in the science of food)

Serafine
09-08-2009, 01:43 PM
yummy! Subbing for next spring!

Blue-EyedLady
09-08-2009, 02:41 PM
Ahem...

FTR, BlessedBlue made these when she was overdue and it did not send her into labor. She had some extenuating circumstances, but still. They were gluten-free, so that might have been the problem. ;)

Oh, and even without the nuts, he's definitely a boy!

allisonintx
09-14-2009, 07:58 PM
I made these tonight, now I'm just waiting for them to come out of the oven.

Of course, I don't have the excuse of being overdue or anything, because I'm the opposite of pregnant right now, but YUMMY anyway!

MamaPepper
09-14-2009, 08:18 PM
You sure we don't need to start a :popcorn thread for you Allison? I mean, the brownies really do do strange and wonderful things! Lol

allisonintx
09-14-2009, 08:30 PM
even with nuts, I doubt they can undo what the doctor did to dh (love that alliteration)

MamaPepper
09-14-2009, 08:33 PM
even with nuts, I doubt they can undo what the doctor did to dh (love that alliteration)

:haha

bananacake
11-09-2009, 05:22 PM
I made these tonight - well, they're in the oven. I'm only 38.5 weeks, and I made them gluten & dairy free. We'll see if they have any effect.

bananacake
11-09-2009, 05:46 PM
I'm not overdue either, but I see these brownie in my very near future.

I don't have a 9 by 9 pan though. Maybe I should triple the recipe and make it in my 9 by 13 pan....and then eat them all.

I one-&-a-halved the recipe, and put them in an 8x8 pan :grin

Mokek Kwe
11-10-2009, 11:09 PM
I made these tonight - well, they're in the oven. I'm only 38.5 weeks, and I made them gluten & dairy free. We'll see if they have any effect.

did they help? :)

Cherish
11-11-2009, 12:07 AM
This looks worth getting pregnant for just so I can try it! ;)

crunchymum
11-11-2009, 12:30 AM
That's a very good idea, Rene. :lol

bananacake
11-11-2009, 05:20 AM
I didn't eat them all yet. But I am feeling very sore today..........

Raspberries
11-11-2009, 06:38 AM
I didn't eat them all yet. But I am feeling very sore today..........

:listen:phone

bananacake
11-15-2009, 05:30 PM
Gluten-free, Dairy-free, anyone?

3/4 cup coconut oil/margarine, melted (I used 1/2 cup coconut oil & 1/4 cup soy-free margarine)
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 eggs, beaten
6 1-ounce squares of baker's chocolate, melted
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup GF baking mix or GF flour
3/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Cream sugar and oil/margarine together. Add eggs and mix well. Mix in melted chocolate and vanilla. Mix in flour, and then nuts.

Spread batter in an 8X8 inch pan. Bake at 325 for about 40 minutes.

TrinMama
11-24-2009, 02:07 PM
10 days until I'm overdue... :shifty

Teacher Mom
11-24-2009, 02:52 PM
I don't know about birthing brownines, but this thread caught my eye cause I just made brownies. The kids are in the other room and don't even know yet!!! They are just now started to scent the house up. mmmmmmmmmmm The kids will be so surprised. I will even let them have one before dinner!!!! :P~

they just asked "are you making brownies".......YUM!!

MaybeGracie
12-18-2009, 11:09 PM
I'm a week overdue...brownies are in the oven...fingers are crossed!! :D

Soliloquy
12-18-2009, 11:31 PM
I'm a week overdue...brownies are in the oven...fingers are crossed!! :D

:popcorn

When I was "overdue" w/ Gracie I made (and ate) "labor salad" and "labor eggplant parmesan.". Both were very tasty but didn't bring on labor. So, interested to see if it works for you!!

(Weird thing is I'm normally a borwnie junkie but I'm so not in the mood for brownies or any sweets lately ... Maybe in Jan when I pass 40 weeks I will be ...)
Posted via Mobile Device

---------- Post added at 12:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 AM ----------

Oh, and don't you have to eat the whole pan on top of the fridge? Maybe that's why the recipe is so thin -- so you can eat the whole pan.
Posted via Mobile Device

mummy2boys
12-21-2009, 06:55 PM
Oh I so need to get pregnant again so I can make these :giggle

Lady Grey
12-21-2009, 07:00 PM
Wow, this certainly sounds better than the induction tea I tried with DS (that didn't work).

Marielle
01-04-2010, 07:49 PM
This thread is a hoot!

I'm afraid even if I stuck a big 'ol sign stating, "Pregnant Lady Brownies ONLY" no one would pay attention. Must try these anyway. Thanks for posting these A~!

musicmama
01-05-2010, 06:58 AM
Did we ever figure out the success rate? Just looking back they seem to have worked for most everyone!

MaybeGracie had her baby the same day ;)

Soliloquy
01-05-2010, 10:43 AM
Cat made brownies yesterday but since she's vegan it was probably a different recipe--her water broke that night!
Posted via Mobile Device

---------- Post added at 11:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 AM ----------

Mine are in the oven! I used cocoa powder since I didn't have any chocolate in the house.
Posted via Mobile Device

Raspberries
01-05-2010, 11:21 AM
Throwing my GF recipe into the mix. I will be using this later ;)

-1/2 cup of butter
-1/4 cup coconut oil
-1/2 cup of cocoa
-1cup brown sugar
-1 tsp Vanilla
-2 Eggs
-3/4 cup almond flour
-1/4 tapioca starch
-1/2 tsp baking soda
-1 tsp salt

Fudgey Goodness Topping:
1/2 cup butter
1/3 rounded cup of cocoa
Powdered sugar (which honestly I just eyed and did to preference)

Preheated oven to 350.

I melted the butter and coconut oil, then added in the cocoa and mixed. Then I added to that the sugar, vanilla and eggs. In a separate bowl I mixed together the dry ingredients. Add the dry to the wet and mix well.

Greased an 8x8 pan and loaded her up with the batter. Baked for about 30 min. Cooled it a bit (but just barely because I was chompin at the bit LOL) and added the topping.

Really, IMO, its the fudgey topping that makes this. So don't forget to add that!

ETA: I made these at around 8:30pm on 3/3/10 and gave birth at 7:30am the next morning 3/4.

KatieMae
01-06-2010, 11:53 AM
I'm making these right now - two days "overdue" ATM. It's also supposed to snow here tomorrow AND I have evening plans w/ mommy friends, so the combination of these three things should definitely make labor start :lol

FYI, I doubled the recipe but baked it in a 9x13 glass dish. It took 40mins. It's a very very thick batter.

Soliloquy
01-06-2010, 01:27 PM
I made them yesterday and even ate one on top of the fridge. No labor thus far ...
Posted via Mobile Device

euromom
01-20-2010, 06:25 PM
thinking of making these tonight! I only have milk chocolate chips though...no bittersweet...and a 1/2 bag of semisweet...either way, they sound yummy! :brownies

Herbwifemama
05-15-2010, 07:51 PM
I'm not overdue, but I'm in PLL, and I'm happy to try it out anyway! :D

Niphredil
08-15-2010, 05:59 PM
So let's be very specific here... I like to follow rules. :glasses

Over due = past due date, yes? So on your due date is technically incorrect procedure, yes?

:shifty

(Just trying to plan my post-due activities here, ya know. What you mean everyone doesn't schedule their fridge jumping a couple of weeks in advance? :hiding)

ncsweetpea
08-15-2010, 06:02 PM
If you do make them, do double the recipe as Jen suggested.
They are very thin. I did not care, the chocolatey buttery richness combined with the excitement of impending labor was enough for me. But, if I make them again, I will double them for sure.

:P~ You're getting the chance to make them again... :P~ :hug

bananacake
08-15-2010, 06:31 PM
GFDF ones work well for both VBACs and going into labor before 40 weeks :shifty
Posted via Mobile Device

Beth1231
08-15-2010, 06:32 PM
Ive seen these miracle brownies mentioned so many times that I assumed they had red raspberry leaf in them or something similar.
:lol Turns out they're normal,yummy brownies!

bananacake
08-15-2010, 06:32 PM
Gluten-free, Dairy-free, anyone?

3/4 cup coconut oil/margarine, melted (I used 1/2 cup coconut oil & 1/4 cup soy-free margarine)
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 eggs, beaten
6 1-ounce squares of baker's chocolate, melted
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup GF baking mix or GF flour
3/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Cream sugar and oil/margarine together. Add eggs and mix well. Mix in melted chocolate and vanilla. Mix in flour, and then nuts.

Spread batter in an 8X8 inch pan. Bake at 325 for about 40 minutes.

BTW, I had the baby the morning after I posted this :giggle

Maggirayne
08-15-2010, 07:28 PM
Hmm, I made mine on Tuesday at 41w and 2d and didn't have A until Sum 1 am. :duck

KatieMae
08-15-2010, 07:29 PM
GFDF ones work well for both VBACs and going into labor before 40 weeks :shifty
Posted via Mobile Device

:doh I should have made some of these for musicmama today!

Niphredil
08-16-2010, 08:09 AM
:doh I should have made some of these for musicmama today!

Oh, don't worry, Sara and I have a brownie date! :yes :heart

JPeriod
10-11-2010, 10:36 AM
Does one need to eat all of them for it to work? or just one? :shifty (off to see if I have bittersweet chocolate in the house...)

Can'tTurnLeft
10-11-2010, 10:41 AM
I know a few mamas who have just had to get the ingredients out

JPeriod
10-11-2010, 12:45 PM
Um, worse brownies ever. :sick I don't know what's wrong with them. Maybe the organic sugar? It's not super fine like bakers sugar. I didn't have bittersweet chocolate, so I used trader joe's 72% dark chocolate. After tasting the batter, I added 2 oz of semi sweet bakers chocolate I had on hand and it still didn't taste very chocolatey. :shrug I looked online and bittersweet/semi-sweet are supposed to be interchangable. I baked it in a smaller pan and it rose high, crisping the top, but leaving the inside mushy. It caved when cutting into it. Weird. :scratch I'm used to the ghiredelli's mix.

But if they work, I don't care! :giggle

crunchymum
10-14-2010, 06:33 PM
they are pretty dense on the inside... it's all that butter. :lol

Niphredil
10-14-2010, 07:15 PM
Um, worse brownies ever. :sick I don't know what's wrong with them. Maybe the organic sugar? It's not super fine like bakers sugar. I didn't have bittersweet chocolate, so I used trader joe's 72% dark chocolate. After tasting the batter, I added 2 oz of semi sweet bakers chocolate I had on hand and it still didn't taste very chocolatey. :shrug I looked online and bittersweet/semi-sweet are supposed to be interchangable. I baked it in a smaller pan and it rose high, crisping the top, but leaving the inside mushy. It caved when cutting into it. Weird. :scratch I'm used to the ghiredelli's mix.

But if they work, I don't care! :giggle

:giggle

Glad to know I'm not the only one who thought they were awful. I had to force myself to finish the pan (who ever thought they'd have to say that about brownies!?! :jawdrop)... and then it was all for naught anyway. :doh :lol

Here's to hoping they work for you! :hug :heart

hellomama
06-12-2012, 09:47 AM
Thank you for the recipe! What a cute tradition!:-)

BriansLovie
06-12-2012, 10:55 AM
These did not work for me :giggle DS3 was almost 2 weeks overdue.

Garland
06-12-2012, 11:47 AM
:brownies
Going to have to make these when it's close to my baby's birth. :) Just for fun. And because I :heart chocolate. :giggle

daughter_of_faith
06-25-2012, 10:40 PM
Maybe I'll try these in December.

MaybeGracie
08-16-2012, 06:03 PM
Mine are in the oven right now. I'll get back to you tomorrow. They "worked" last time! ;)

crunchymum
08-18-2012, 12:17 PM
Well? ;)

MaybeGracie
08-18-2012, 01:17 PM
No luck. Boo. But at least they tasted good!

RealLifeMama
08-18-2012, 02:17 PM
No luck. Boo. But at least they tasted good!

They beat castor oil any day!

I was reading a food blog last week and came across the recipe for these brownies. Only they were just "brownies", specifically brownies to add to homemade ice cream. I wanted to comment, but resisted the urge. :giggle

crunchymum
08-18-2012, 09:11 PM
:giggle

Stiina
08-18-2012, 09:20 PM
:brownies

SillyMommy
01-22-2014, 09:15 AM
Maybe they make you go into labor because the enjoyable experience relaxes you and produces endorphins and somehow that makes your body ready to go ahead and start dilating, laboring, etc etc. :shrug I would be rEALLY interested to know if there is any science behind it (I was just thinking today about how I"m so interested in the science of food)

That has to be it, as there are NO other ingredients that would give labor a boost. I was expecting them to have RRL or castor oil in them or something! LOL

RealLifeMama
01-22-2014, 11:02 AM
That has to be it, as there are NO other ingredients that would give labor a boost. I was expecting them to have RRL or castor oil in them or something! LOL

I don't know, but my stats are two for two! They aren't the best brownies, but I'd rather eat them than take castor oil.

SillyMommy
01-22-2014, 11:41 AM
Oh, don't get me wrong, in a few weeks I'll be ALL over these brownies! LOL It just drives me nuts not knowing what the deal is, yk? (logical first-born here)

Soliloquy
01-22-2014, 02:54 PM
They never worked for me. :pout

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Stiina
01-23-2014, 07:36 PM
I never got to try it. :impouting I was really looking forward to fridge-sitting and brownie-eating but Pop came early!!! :giggle

squiddles
05-23-2014, 07:20 AM
Making these today :shifty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RealLifeMama
05-23-2014, 08:16 AM
Good luck!
This last time, I made them in the kitchen aid instead of by hand, and thought I had overwhipped them, but they came out the best they ever had. And I used really good butter. I think they can tend toward greasy when I used cheap butter.

princesspoet
05-23-2014, 11:55 AM
Yay! I get to try these!

sara1215
05-23-2014, 11:59 AM
These sound amazing! Must save for future reference.

MaybeGracie
08-29-2014, 04:14 PM
Four days overdue. Brownies are in the oven. Fingers crossed!

bentlaj11
08-29-2014, 07:34 PM
I guess I'm going to need a baby #4! I didn't make it to the top of the fridge or get to make these. Or, maybe they are good for milk production and I can make some now :shifty

MaybeGracie
08-29-2014, 07:51 PM
You never know until you try, right? :giggle Make them, see if it increases your milk supply, and report back to us - in the name of science! :lol

Soliloquy
01-01-2016, 06:26 PM
I might make these this week. :)

Blue-EyedLady
01-01-2016, 07:17 PM
I might make these this week. :)
Already? Seems like you just announced a month or 2 ago. [emoji13]

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk

Soliloquy
01-15-2016, 03:04 PM
Should the recipe be 2 2-ounce squares chocolate? As in 4 ounces total?

I'm making them now. 40w6d!

RealLifeMama
01-15-2016, 04:56 PM
Yes, I think that is what that means.
I never noticed the recipe was written like that. How odd! ( I mean, I typed it in, but I just copied it from the book.)

We are eating brownies tonight, too. King Arthur recipe, not the birthing variety, but still...sending birthy vibes your way!

zeo2ski
01-16-2016, 01:27 PM
Yeah I thought it was odd too, but I'm guessing that it's an older recipe and perhaps they used to package the chocolate in 2 oz sections. Drives me nuts that it is now in 1/4 oz squares, but it is helpful for math lessons for my little chef child!

These brownies did work for me, though the cooking process got me started rather than eating, but unfortunately I am now addicted. My baby is one month old and I've made the recipe 3 or 4 times since then...

Soliloquy
01-16-2016, 02:57 PM
I'm 0/2 on these brownies. Oh well, they are good!

ECingMama
01-16-2016, 03:15 PM
Should the recipe be 2 2-ounce squares chocolate? As in 4 ounces total?

I'm making them now. 40w6d!

I prayed pretty hard last night. Read: I felt anxiety for you/baby. I super wish the brownies had worked. How about fudge? Just don't go getting on the fridge!!

Soliloquy
01-16-2016, 03:24 PM
I hate fudge.

I got on the fridge with J. Dh had to help me get down and it wasn't fun at all. But I do have a funny pic of me eating a brownie on the fridge.

I'm not really concerned or feeling like she needs to get out as long as I don't go past 42 weeks. My midwife can't legally attend a birth past 42 weeks and the OBs in our town are generally not to my liking. If it comes to that, I'd be driving an hour + to the certified baby-friendly hospital that has CNMs.

---------- Post added at 02:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:22 PM ----------

Thank you SO MUCH for praying!

ECingMama
01-16-2016, 03:35 PM
I hate fudge.

I got on the fridge with J. Dh had to help me get down and it wasn't fun at all. But I do have a funny pic of me eating a brownie on the fridge.

I'm not really concerned or feeling like she needs to get out as long as I don't go past 42 weeks. My midwife can't legally attend a birth past 42 weeks and the OBs in our town are generally not to my liking. If it comes to that, I'd be driving an hour + to the certified baby-friendly hospital that has CNMs.

---------- Post added at 02:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:22 PM ----------

Thank you SO MUCH for praying!

I'm glad you're not concerned. Have you finished your to do list?? ;) she's patiently waiting for that.

Quiteria
01-16-2016, 03:40 PM
You may want to double-check whether the CNMs can take you after 42wks...in my state, although they have better privileges than HB MWs, they still cannot take clients after 42wks. However, the OBs that work in baby-friendly hospitals with them may be more accustomed to receiving transfers of naturally-minded patients than the OBs who work without CNMs in less-friendly hospitals, and the CNMs are allowed to assist as nurses when their clients transfer to OB...not sure whether that would happen for someone coming from a different MW entirely. Hope that makes sense.

Soliloquy
01-16-2016, 04:40 PM
I'm assuming the CNMs couldn't take me either but I have a better chance of getting a decent OB there than in my own town.

Quiteria
01-16-2016, 04:57 PM
ITU

ECingMama
01-16-2016, 05:45 PM
I was all set to make brownies in your honor in the instant pot but it requires 5 in metal pans. Boo!

Little Forest
01-16-2016, 10:35 PM
Do they not sell the boxes of baking chocolate in 2 oz wrapped squares anymore? I can't remember the brand. They had several different types but in 2 oz blocks that had a ridge down the middle to break into 1 oz.
Posted via Mobile Device