PDA

View Full Version : The Story of Stuff

Tuesdayschild
02-24-2009, 12:50 PM
20 minute film, lots of food for thought, esp. in context of current economic crisis

http://www.story ofstuff.com/

joy
02-24-2009, 02:56 PM
wow.

Can Dance
02-24-2009, 06:32 PM
that was really good. I studied a lot of it in sociology, but its always interesting to see it in movie farm. and I liked how it wasn't all doom and gloom, at least mostly.

Tuesdayschild
02-25-2009, 01:14 AM
:yes I have long felt we need a paradigm shift in our thinking about the economy. Endless growth *is* unsustainable. We need a whole new way of thinking. I loved the book from Earth Ministry in this context too.

crunchymum
02-25-2009, 09:30 AM
watched that a long time ago... it's good. :yes

deena
03-18-2009, 11:45 AM
That was great!!!

I am inspired to do something about it!!!

So I propose a "wear something out of style" day, to counteract "perceived obsolescence". We are tricked into throwing out stuff that is perfectly good. Lets bring to light the fact that our "value" in this society is greatly based on our ability to consume. That is not what our purpose on this earth is for! Make a statement that says you do not want to participate in this cycle of over consumption any more! So on June 1st, join me in wearing something old and out of style. Tell people that it is "wear something out of style day" and the purpose is to question the perception that our value in this society lies in our ability to consume.

Off to blog this and maybe write a few newspapers and TV stations. heh. heh.

Tuesdayschild
03-18-2009, 11:52 AM
I'm always our of style :shifty

so I'm game! :tu

Court
03-18-2009, 11:53 AM
I had watched that awhile ago. Very thought provoking clip! Great reminder!

Tuesdayschild
03-18-2009, 12:02 PM
:think seriously, I do wonder why there isn't more voluntary simplicity among Christians. Surely we should feel an even greater sens eof responsibility for God's creation? We fight for the lives of the unborn - why aren't we fighting harder for all Life?

Does this board have a simple living type sub-forum?

Katydid
03-18-2009, 12:07 PM
Does this board have a simple living type sub-forum?

No, but IMO there really is a prevailing sense of being mindful of "simple living" throughout the board. :tu

I, too, had seen that video a while ago and thought it was really well done and very thought provoking. :yes