PDA

View Full Version : What do you put in your dishwasher?

mommylove
02-24-2009, 12:22 AM
After reading the thread about loving dishwashers, I'm again wondering why I'm way different than everyone else when it comes to using my dishwasher. :scratch I run mine once a week, and I handwash once or twice a day.

I only put silverware, glass & dishes in mine. All cookware, cooking utensils/knives, plastic (which I use very little of, but have not completely eliminated) and pretty much anything else is handwashed. Do most people put these in the dishwasher? Is this why having a dishwasher is not time saving to me?

milkmommy
02-24-2009, 12:30 AM
I'm loving my diswasher and I'm a former could care less about them gal :giggle.. I put everything in it except my cooking pots and id on a school day the stuff from DD lunch box (case I need to re use it faster than it goes through the dishwasher cycle... I put silverware pastic ware plates cups serving dishes knives baking pans sheets cutting boards place mats ect in it. I run it each night load it up during the day and unload in the mornings... It's saving me a ton of time..

Deanna

gentlemommy
02-24-2009, 12:38 AM
I put in pretty much everything except pots and pans.

purstrength
02-24-2009, 10:41 AM
After reading the thread about loving dishwashers, I'm again wondering why I'm way different than everyone else when it comes to using my dishwasher. :scratch I run mine once a week, and I handwash once or twice a day.

I only put silverware, glass & dishes in mine. All cookware, cooking utensils/knives, plastic (which I use very little of, but have not completely eliminated) and pretty much anything else is handwashed. Do most people put these in the dishwasher? Is this why having a dishwasher is not time saving to me?

I do the same as you. I'm glad I don't have to handwash everything!

KatieMae
02-24-2009, 10:45 AM
I put everything in the dishwasher :shrug It comes out clean.

MomtoJGJ
02-24-2009, 10:46 AM
I put everything in it that fits in it. The only thing that doesn't fit in it is one skillet we have so it's the only thing that is handwashed at our house.

Jenjardin
02-24-2009, 10:47 AM
Everything but pots & pans or wooden things.

KatieMae
02-24-2009, 10:48 AM
I put everything in it that fits in it. The only thing that doesn't fit in it is one skillet we have so it's the only thing that is handwashed at our house.

Yes, right. My skillet doesn't fit either (I knew there was *something* I always hand-washed :yes)
Oh, and of course I don't machine-wash my stoneware, but that's a no-brainer ;)

Niphredil
02-24-2009, 10:49 AM
Nearly everything. Not usually cookie sheets as they don't fit. I even put in N's paintbrushes.

akfireweed
02-24-2009, 10:51 AM
everything that will fit that is dishwasher safe.

MomtoJGJ
02-24-2009, 10:52 AM
everything that will fit that is dishwasher safe.

I've learned that even if it says it is not dishwasher safe it normally is :shifty I really hate washing dishes...

knitlove
02-25-2009, 08:39 AM
I put every thing that is not cast iron, Aluminum, or have wooden handles in the dishwasher. In general I don't put my china in the dishwasher but I have done it on occasion - sine it has a gold edge I have to be sure to let it cool before I touch it other wise the gold will come off.

Mama Bird
02-25-2009, 08:42 AM
I put it all in. Even my electric skillet. :shifty It has no problems at all.

We barely even rinse the dishes before we put them in.

I hand wash Smiley's bibs, and his high chair tray. That's it.

MarynMunchkins
02-25-2009, 08:45 AM
Everything but pots and pans. I usually end up hand-washing every night too, but at least there's a lot I don't have to wash.

newday
02-25-2009, 08:52 AM
off topic:
(sometimes I wish I had a dishwasher...
we just don't have room in our wee little kitchen.)

on topic:
When I had a dishwasher it was like a game to me to see how much of how many different things I could fit in there and have it all come out clean. It was always the dishwasher's fault if the stuff wasn't sparkly in the end!

MaybeGracie
02-25-2009, 08:53 AM
Everything except pots and pans or large mixing bowls. I run ours 2-3 times a week.

knitlove
02-25-2009, 09:33 AM
When I had a dishwasher it was like a game to me to see how much of how many different things I could fit in there and have it all come out clean. It was always the dishwasher's fault if the stuff wasn't sparkly in the end!

My dishwasher came with the recommendation to run a rinse cycle every day, if it is not completely full and you are going to weight to run it.

I would never have thought about that but it works it means I don't have to rinse off stuff that goes in and I just run a rinse cycle at night if it isn't full. I have put mixing bole with the remnants for cookie dough in there one day run a rinse that evening and a wash cycle the next day once it was full and every thing came out sparkling.

MomtoJGJ
02-25-2009, 09:36 AM
why do people not put pots and pans in the dishwasher?? :scratch

milkmommy
02-25-2009, 09:47 AM
I don't put my pots into the dishwasher casue they are not dishwasher safe I have these .
http://www.calphalon.com/calphalon/consumer/products/productGroup.jhtml?catId=CLCat100147 they were a wedding gift from my parents and very expensive I have read reports of the dishwasher ruining the finish on this set and I won't risk it. I do put many of my pans into the dishwasher though. I also run it every day we'd not have enough basic siliverware or glasses if I didn't.

Deanna

MomtoJGJ
02-25-2009, 09:54 AM
ah, that makes sense... I just have plain pots and pans (except our skillet that doesn't fit anyway)....

I asked because my mom and MIL have weird reasons for not putting certain things in the dishwasher... I wanted to know if I was missing a real reason to not put my pots in or not... if I had good pots I probably wouldn't either :)

Jenjardin
02-25-2009, 09:57 AM
Mine just don't fit very well after all the plates, bowls and cups go in. I'd prefer to handwash 1 or 2 pans than a bunch of smaller things.

MomtoJGJ
02-25-2009, 09:58 AM
haha :shifty I just save the smaller things for the next run of the dishwasher....

hey mommy
02-25-2009, 10:21 AM
I put pretty much everything in mine. Including pots/pans, etc. As long as there is no non-stick coating on it, it goes in.

blossomnatalia
02-25-2009, 10:39 AM
I put everything but:

-wooden/bamboo stuff (which i do have quite a bit like salad bowls and cooking utensils, cutting boards etc...)
-Stoneware (which I do have quite a bit as well: pizza stone, bread pans, muffin pans, quiche pans...)
-Iron skillets (which are all the frying pans I own)
The good thing about those things are that they are VERY easy and fast to wash by hand :yes.

I do put my pots and pans (stainless) and my knifes (and obviously all the dishes, glasses and silverware...)

I run it every night.

mommylove
02-25-2009, 10:40 AM
Well, once again, I've proven myself to be someone who can always find a more difficult way to do something . . . no matter what it is. :giggle That said, I'm so stuck in my ways, I'm not sure I can convince myself to put wood, plastics, utensils, pots/pans, non-glass bowls, knives, etc in the dishwasher. Darnit. :giggle

Mama Bird
02-25-2009, 11:54 AM

DH calls me the Queen o'Cram. He says the dishwasher is full. I say we can get another several things in there. I have a nice, specific system of how to get things in. It usually works. ;)

Mama Calidad
02-25-2009, 12:18 PM
Coffee. Lots of coffee. :shifty

I put every thing that is not cast iron, Aluminum, or have wooden handles in the dishwasher. In general I don't put my china in the dishwasher but I have done it on occasion - sine it has a gold edge I have to be sure to let it cool before I touch it other wise the gold will come off.

Oh, my mom has my great-grandma's china and she started putting it in the dishwasher. I thought she was going to ruin it. It was already so delicate and had lots of little "cracks". Oh. My. Word. It's beautiful now! All the little cracks are totally gone. It's amazing.

Drew
02-25-2009, 01:05 PM
Everything but wooden cutting boards, cast iron, and my knives.

haha :shifty I just save the smaller things for the next run of the dishwasher....

Me too. :shifty

Jenjardin
02-25-2009, 01:16 PM

Lest you wrongly think of me as Suzy Homemaker, the reality is that many times the pans usually sit in the sink until I need them, then they get washed just to be used right then. Not always, but enough... :bag

MomtoJGJ
02-25-2009, 01:18 PM
:) so does my skillet.

hey mommy
02-25-2009, 01:37 PM

Lest you wrongly think of me as Suzy Homemaker, the reality is that many times the pans usually sit in the sink until I need them, then they get washed just to be used right then. Not always, but enough... :bag

Yeah, same here.. I just ran the dishwasher & still have some in the sink b/c they didn't fit. I now need to either wash those, or empty the dishwasher & put them in it...

Lavender Lily
02-26-2009, 02:25 PM
I've never used my dish washer. well only to run it every now and then so it doesn't mess up...still don't know if that's true or not. :scratch
I do use mine though...but its only as a dish rack. I open the door lay a towel on the inside of the door (to catch the water) then start placing washed dishes in the rack. So when they're dry, I put the dishes away and close the door.
It beats having a dish rack on the counter 24/7. I have made it a habit to wash dishes as I'm cooking so in the end all I have to clean are the dishes we ate on.
So to answer your question....a dish towel is what I put in my dish washer. :giggle

milkmommy
02-26-2009, 03:10 PM
Why wont you actually use the dishwasher?

Deanna

beach_mom03
02-27-2009, 08:43 AM
I put almost everything in there. I have a few nice wine glasses that I hand wash, but it is so hard to remember because I'm so used to putting *everything* in.

I've only ever ruined a couple things :lol

Dana Joy
02-27-2009, 08:47 AM
Everything! :shifty

Seriously, once a week I wash the stove pieces in there, I wash the bath toys in there, I wash plastic bibs in there.

hopeforchange
02-27-2009, 08:49 AM
everything. :yes i cannot stand to wash dishes, lol.

2sunshines
02-27-2009, 09:25 AM
Everything but cast iron.

thomer
02-27-2009, 09:41 AM
Everything but cast iron, stonewear, wood, and knives.

I've been known to leave pans in there for 2 or 3 cycles if it doesn't get clean on the first run. DH had a component for his coffee maker that was really gross and we let it in the dishwasher for a month :shifty

Our dishwasher is portable and has to hook up to our sink, so I usually run it before I leave for work in the morning. And I pile all the non-fitting dishes into the sink so they can get rinced with the dishwasher grey water. :O

I also hate washing dishes. ;)

Ali
02-27-2009, 09:49 AM
Me too. Everything goes in and if it's not clean the first time, it will go through again. I only have a small set of pots that are not dishwasher safe that I hand wash. I could put them in the dishwasher, but over time it would dull the finish and I like their bright red color. My other set of pots and pans go into the dishwasher.

knitlove
02-27-2009, 01:50 PM
once a week I wash the stove pieces in there,

:doh why has that never occurred to me, the stove top and the ventahood filters that I currently wash by hand only when they get horrid because I don't like doing it.

2sunshines
02-27-2009, 02:18 PM
why do people not put wood in there? I mean, I know it could fall and sit on the heating element and cause a burn mark on the wood (don't ask me how I know :shifty) but otherwise? Or is that the reason? Is there a danger of a fire in that case?

knitlove
02-27-2009, 02:21 PM
I feel like the dishwashing detergent is too harsh for the wood and it would have moor opportunity to soak up lots of water, when it is a wooden handle on a knife or some thing then the wood can warp and pull away from the mettle.

:shifty My mom didn't do it - witch may be the real answer

Drew
02-27-2009, 02:27 PM
why do people not put wood in there? I mean, I know it could fall and sit on the heating element and cause a burn mark on the wood (don't ask me how I know :shifty) but otherwise? Or is that the reason? Is there a danger of a fire in that case?

The wood will dry out and split after repeated washings.

boobymummy
03-04-2009, 07:45 AM
Dishwashers suck. They are harder work as you have to rinse, pack and unpack. The only beauty is the out of sight out of mind factor. My husbands job is the dishes so they end up going black from mould and rewashed in the dishwasher 3 times before they get unpacked. I PRAY there is no dishwasher wherever we are moving next time. Id rather dishes on the sink for 3 days than dishes in the washer getting black and smelly for weeks.

milkmommy
03-04-2009, 07:52 AM
Dishwashers suck. They are harder work as you have to rinse, pack and unpack. The only beauty is the out of sight out of mind factor. My husbands job is the dishes so they end up going black from mould and rewashed in the dishwasher 3 times before they get unpacked. I PRAY there is no dishwasher wherever we are moving next time. Id rather dishes on the sink for 3 days than dishes in the washer getting black and smelly for weeks.

See I used to think like this I've discovered its because I didn't have a working dishwasher. My prerinseing now consists of making sure all big stuff is no longer on the plate and getting each item wet :shrug Loading takes a minute I don't have some special order other than I don't overload the bottom as we have a one arm dishwasher. I let it wash at night and the mornign put away. What used to easily take an hour to do now takes be under 10 (including cleaning rest of kitchen). I've hated dishwashers for the past 30 years.... :shifty

Deanna

Singingmom
03-04-2009, 08:08 AM
I have to know why Laura puts coffee in hers... :cup

I run mine everyday just with dishes and silverware. I hand wash most everything else. My shears got ruined in there, the plastic handles split and the screw rusted, but I still use them on raw meat so I can stick them in the dishwasher and I hand wash my new ones.

This week I've been filling one cup with baking soda and splashing a cup or two of vinegar into the bottom since I ran out of detergent. It's working great!

But I still need to know about the coffee.

blossomnatalia
03-04-2009, 10:29 AM

See I used to think like this I've discovered its because I didn't have a working dishwasher. My prerinseing now consists of making sure all big stuff is no longer on the plate and getting each item wet :shrug Loading takes a minute I don't have some special order other than I don't overload the bottom as we have a one arm dishwasher. I let it wash at night and the mornign put away. What used to easily take an hour to do now takes be under 10 (including cleaning rest of kitchen). I've hated dishwashers for the past 30 years.... :shifty

Deanna

Exactly!
I NEVER saw the point in it at all.... until I had 2 kids and was pregnant and realized I could never go outside with them when they were begging me to because I "HAD to wash the dishes" (which took me about 1 hour ) and then cook etc...
I finally had my dh put in a dish washer because there was none in the house and it still did take me some time to adjust. The dishes were still piling up in the sink, and I had this aversion to emptying it so it stayed full a lot hence the dishes in the sink.
Somehow, i realized that it took all but just a few minutes if I just emptied-recharged it and I do not have to rinse if I do it right away and if you have a good dishwasher, you should not have to pre-rinse at all. Mine was free and old and it STILL does a great job. I run it once a day at night and it cleans pretty much everything. I can clean up my kitchen in minutes which I was never able to do before and was really getting old mostly for my kids.

I grew up with a mom who did not see the point of dishwashers either and we had one and only used it at Christmas :shrug and spend my life not understanding why you would use one. Now I see it like my washing machine.... yeah you could do without... but you woul dbe spending a long time down at the river washing all your clothes. :phew for me that was the turning point... I needed to free up some time in my day. Plus I used to love to have people over for dinner and such and the thought of washing all the dishes afterwards became overwhelming to me and I stopped inviting people.
Now I feel it less daunting.... we can clean up right away in just a couple minutes! The key is to have it empty beforehand ;)... I am learning.

Singingmom
03-08-2009, 04:17 PM
Coffee. Lots of coffee. :shifty

I get it! :lol I get it! :phew That took me a few days. I was washing dishes at the sink last night and it hit me. :giggle

BeckaBlue
03-08-2009, 04:25 PM
I put in everything that fits except my cast iron.
My pots n pans are stainless, and even if it's not dishwasher safe i take the chance on everything else, lol!

ETA: when we didn't have a dishwasher i used almost exclusively throw away cups and throw away silverware/plates/bowls. i HATE washing by hand!!!