PDA

View Full Version : Military and retiree mamam's , packing question?

Lantern Light Mama
02-23-2009, 04:08 PM
Have any of you ever packed your non-perishable groceries? We were thinking about just packing ours in a Rubbermaid tote this time and allowing the movers to move everything that won't spoil. Our stuff is only going to be in transit for 3 weeks at most. Starting over fresh on everything is tough in today's economy and I've always heard they will pack non-perishables but I just don't know of anyone who has actually done it! Some things I don't want to throw out, like my cannisters of egg replacers. Could they move these are long as they are in air tight containers? My main concern is keeping vermin out of course and that is why I am going to buy containers that are bug and vermin proof and seal it with tape! It's just a lot cheaper to do that than replace our egg replacer, oats, and all of the special food my kids need. Also, even though this is my 7th move, can you give me any suggestions on how to get the movers to keep things that belong together together? Sometimes they pack with no rhyme or reason.

Rabbit
02-23-2009, 04:10 PM
Not military, so I don't know about your movers, but growing up, we packed and shipped 4 years worth of nonperishables in containers, for weeks of transit in shipping containers, crossing oceans. We did our own packing.

Lantern Light Mama
02-23-2009, 04:11 PM
It should be fine then right, as long as it is all well packed?

Rabbit
02-23-2009, 04:14 PM
I would think so. If it can sit in your pantry for weeks or months without going bad. You'll want to know your mover's policies, in case they have rules against shipping any food.

Can'tTurnLeft
02-23-2009, 05:20 PM
We always pack our non perishables! Make sure you are using book boxes though, the smallest ones. The boxes of food get very heavy very quickly!

Blue Aurora
02-23-2009, 05:29 PM
I always pack atleast my spices and everything that is sealed.

expatmom
02-23-2009, 06:33 PM
We always pack our non-perishables for our international moves. :yes I try to weed out the things that are close to the end of their shelf-life or package, but we take everything else. They've done fine after a couple of months in transit. :)

We are label crazy to try and get the movers to keep things where they should be. Also, I always find a babysitter for the day of packing so dh & I can both be vigilant in making sure the packers do what we want. In some rooms, we move things that we definitely want together into big piles in the center of the room.