PDA

View Full Version : Going shopping for a washer... whaddya love???

MamaCare
02-23-2009, 09:34 AM
My front loader finally gave up the ghost last night. After I gather the sopping laundry and haul it to the bath tub and empty the water out of the washer, I'm heading out to shop. I'm gonna have three in diapers here in a few weeks, and am thinking a top loader is a better option. What washer do you have and what do you love/hate about it? What should I be looking for?
Thanks for any tips~

Rabbit
02-23-2009, 09:38 AM
I got to wash my diapers in a very deluxe front loader once. You could preset a hundred settings. Pre-rinse. Wash. Rinse. Extra rinse. A sterilize cycle. And it told you how many minutes until it was done, rather than leaving me to guess how long that might take. Now that I love!

My regular wash is a top loader. It's the pits.

MamaCare
02-23-2009, 09:42 AM
:think I have been *so* waiting for this washer to die... I have to wash my dipes at least three times to get them really clean. It's a very basic (read:cheap) model from 8 years ago... no way to switch sizes. There's a pre-wash setting, and then a regular, a perm press, and a delicate cycle. You can choose cold/cold, hot/cold, or warm/cold for the wash/rinse cycle, and you can set it for extra rinse.
None of that helped when I tried to wash my dipes.

Oh... and I can't get a "deluxe" anything... I can't spend more than $500 TOPS.... it'd be better if I could get one around $300...

MudPies
02-23-2009, 09:44 AM
I love my extra rinse option.

oh, also my home depot and lowes are doing their scratch and dent sale right now- better washer for cheap bc of surface scratches (still come with reg man. warranty) you might want to check that out or at other stores too.

Soliloquy
02-23-2009, 09:46 AM
go to the library and find the Consumer Reports issue that looks at washer. I love my Maytag top-loader. ITA w/ Rabbit that if I had the money I'd buy a smokin' front-loader but they're about $1,000. If you have limited funds, get a good top-loader.

You do not need infinite settings (like water level). You do not need a fabric softener or bleach dispenser (don't need either of those additives). You do need a large capacity machine from a reliable brand. If you can get one that is self-leveling that's awesome.

I've had horrible luck w/ Frigidaire brand. I've had wonderful experience w/ Maytag.

Lowe's often has super cheap prices, free delivery, and rebates. Shop there first before you buy anywhere else, IMO. If you buy a scratch 'n dent, make sure you still get the full warranty.

Rabbit
02-23-2009, 09:50 AM
Oh... and I can't get a "deluxe" anything... I can't spend more than $500 TOPS.... it'd be better if I could get one around $300...

Yeah, I have absolutely no clue how much that washer and dryer set cost, and no, I do -not- want to find out. My current washer is so old that I don't know the year, and was bought used for $75. But you asked what we loved, and that deluxe washer, I LOVED!