PDA

View Full Version : Painting a crib

ShangriLewis
02-20-2009, 08:22 PM
I will be using my sisters crib. It's very safe, real wood, and well worn.

I'm thinking about painting it. Any thoughts? I figure a non-toxic paint. It will have to be sanded and I'll wait till it gets warmer.

righteous mama
02-20-2009, 08:24 PM
My dad has painted my girls crib a few times. It was mine, then he painted it for M, she chewed it like crazy, so repainted it for B. I'm not sure what he did, but I will shoot him an email and ask his advice. He is a painter by trade (a house painter, that is).

ShangriLewis
02-20-2009, 08:47 PM
It's not one of those shiny ones, so I figure it should work fine. What color did you use? Our carpet is light blue (can't change that) and I was thinking yellow or buttercream.

righteous mama
02-20-2009, 09:05 PM
It's not one of those shiny ones, so I figure it should work fine. What color did you use? Our carpet is light blue (can't change that) and I was thinking yellow or buttercream.

We just did white because the bedding I made was red, blue, yellow, green...I was worried a color on the crib itself would be too much. But, a buttercream would be beautiful. I'd like that, too.

I emailed him. In case he asks, is it currently painted?

ShangriLewis
02-20-2009, 09:07 PM
It's dark brown and honestly I think it's paint, but it could be stain. It's back in the storage closet and I can't fit down the little path right now :giggle

mishmom
02-20-2009, 11:17 PM
It's dark brown and honestly I think it's paint, but it could be stain. It's back in the storage closet and I can't fit down the little path right now :giggle

You will probably want to use a primer so that you don't have to use a million coats of yellow paint!

ShangriLewis
02-21-2009, 12:01 PM
That is what I figured. I wonder if there is a low/no voc primer. My husband is a house painter, but I didn't think it was like painting a crib :giggle

righteous mama
02-21-2009, 12:27 PM
OK, my mom said...sand, prime, paint. Don't worry about sanding all the previous paint off, just break the finish and make it smooth.

ShangriLewis
02-21-2009, 12:41 PM
http://www.sherwin-williams.com/pro/green/greensure_designation/ I just found this from Sherwin Williams which means I can get it at the local store. They do have a primer, too.